Newbies: How to make your first AMV

This forum is for the general discussion of Anime Music Videos.

Postby Otohiko » Mon May 05, 2003 8:43 pm

Ah! The topic I have been looking for...

I'll avoid the technicalities and ask the most direct question now - (sorry if it's been answered before, I'm new here) - from a seasoned AMV-maker's point of view, what would be the best estimate for man/hours required to produce a minute of AMV video? I don't want to generalize, but time is the biggest question at hand for me.
Otohiko

Postby OmniStrata » Thu May 08, 2003 9:53 am

mexicanjunior wrote:
Ashyukun wrote:
[3cniv] wrote:I don't think Premiere can output directly to MPEG anymore (though I swear it used to be able to, I can't seem to find the option in 6.5....)

My version of 6.5 exports to MPEG and MPEG-2. Could be some kind of extra plugin I have. :shock:

With Premiere (or any other software for that matter) you SHOULD be exporting via HuffYuv...

and THEN re compressing that file...
OmniStrata

How to make your first AMV

Postby Sakura_Kinomoto_2003 » Tue May 20, 2003 7:53 pm

Is there any way of getting Windows Movie Maker without having Windows XP? I only have Windows 98 and absolutley no hardware or software... :(
I dont have any money to buy programs either and I am absolutley dying to make one. I have a million ideas and I can't make them. ( I know there's a subject with ideas here ). I have episodes and movies on VHS and no DVD player ( on the computer or hooked up to a TV ). I have no way of making one. Could anyone recommend me some hardware/software that I am possibly afford? Also, I hear Adobe products are good and as you probably know they are expensive ( to me anyways )

Please help me !
Sakura_Kinomoto_2003

Postby Farlo » Sat May 24, 2003 4:01 pm

read the first page of this post...
Farlo

Postby ssraid » Tue May 27, 2003 7:07 pm

I have 2 question. first I made my first vid and the bass is way to high but it sounds good in the preview but the finished product sounds like shit what do I do, and for some reason I cant up load it here I can only get to step one. And Does anyone know if there is vioce over software of dub ware? Thanks for the help :oops:
Give me anime or give me death

Postby Dead_Pool » Fri May 30, 2003 9:06 am

How about Ulead Visual Studio 7
what programs do you use to convert MPEG to DivX thats if I even want to but it would be nice to have the option :shock:
Dead_Pool

How long does it take? Answer...

Postby Otohiko » Sun Jun 08, 2003 9:31 am

Otohiko wrote:Ah! The topic I have been looking for...

I'll avoid the technicalities and ask the most direct question now - (sorry if it's been answered before, I'm new here) - from a seasoned AMV-maker's point of view, what would be the best estimate for man/hours required to produce a minute of AMV video? I don't want to generalize, but time is the biggest question at hand for me.

HA!

I now reply to my own first post. Pathetic sometimes how people don't care...

For an AMV of the sort that I've been looking to make, it takes at least 3 man/hours of raw editing per minute of video.

In addition, however, a new AMV maker must also invest at least a couple of hours into reading appropriate sections of the Premiere's (or your program of choice's) manual, take a bit of time to familiarize oneself with the software, spend some time reading the tutorials and FAQ's on the org's website, and of course - have a few hours, and preferably even days to plan out the concept (whether you use storyboards or do it all mentally).

So hah! I'm now capable of finally providing closure to my first, horribly n00byish post.
Otohiko

Postby OmniStrata » Sun Jun 22, 2003 2:14 pm

3 hours per minute?

You're just scratchin' the surface buddy...

:lol:
"Strength lies in action. Let the weak react to me..." - Kamahl, Pit Fighter from Magic: the Gathering
"That is a mistake many of my enemies make. They think before they act. I act before I think!" - Vortigern from Merlin ('98)
"I AM REBORN!" - Dark Schneider Bastard!! OAV
OmniStrata

Postby Beefmaster10000 » Wed Jun 25, 2003 1:43 am

Okay, I really need help with my video. I can't seem to get the right filter together to get the results I want.

Okay, I want a nice filter that will get rid of noise, pixelation, whatever you people call it. I mainly see it in the color red in my videos, but I want it gone. Do you know any filters that can help me, and what values I should use?

I am using avisynth to filter my video. I followed the guides, and messed around with various noise reduction filters, yet they aren't helping at all. What filter should I use? I used sharpen, blur, TemporalSmoothing, and whatnot, yet I still am having trouble.

Can you please help me out? I have been trying, and I am getting very frustrated with it.
Beefmaster10000

:)

Postby feudalfantasy » Sun Jun 29, 2003 11:44 am

Hi my name is Kaylee (Kiara)

I have always wanted to make a anime music video but Inuyasha ones.
Im 13 and didnt know how to do it.
Like what equipment to get and stuff you know.
I cant get the DVD's etc. so I was gonna go for the ones i found on Kazaa.com when i downloaded their program.
I kinda have the whole plot thing going its getting started that doing me in. T_T oh well.

hey if people can give me some ideas email me k?

I have this idea for 1 amv

Inuyasha: Im Gonna Love You: Song By Jennifer Love Hewitt.
feudalfantasy

N00bie alert...

Postby Sereenie » Wed Jul 02, 2003 11:07 pm

Yep, one more!

Just a quick question, as I have read the posts AND the guides! (I swear!)

I am willing to try a few different software to see which one I like better. I read the software info page (OK, not all of it!) and written down a few I'd like to give a shot.

On the other hand, I have this software called "Cyberlink PowerDirector Pro 2.5" which came with my computer. I've never heard of it, no one I know has, and it's not in the software list.

Does anyone know it? Is it any good? (i. e. is it closer to Premiere or to WMM in quality?) Should I run away? In short, does anyone have anything to say about it?

I've seen the post about its free version 1.1 -- not useful, didn't give any info about the software. Another post, by elseif, was a bit more useful, but still pretty lacking in details; then again, it was an older version (2.2, I think).

What it comes down to is, I'm lazy and I don't see why I should go through all the trouble of getting new software and spending hours learning how to use it -- not to mention my precious dollars -- if I already have a perfectly good product! ^_^;

Thanks for your help. And please don't hesitate to flame me if there is a little-know section hidden somwhere which answers exactly that question!

S.
Sereenie

Re: N00bie alert...

Postby Arigatomina » Thu Jul 03, 2003 11:05 pm

Sereenie wrote:What it comes down to is, I'm lazy and I don't see why I should go through all the trouble of getting new software and spending hours learning how to use it -- not to mention my precious dollars -- if I already have a perfectly good product! ^_^;

Best way to know if it's good, rather than waiting for someone who's heard of it, is to try it out. Make a vid and compare it to ones made by WMM (though 2.0 has a number of effects so these vids are getting better). If you like the way it works, use it. Who knows, you may have gotten a better movie maker on your computer than half the people on this site - you won't know until you try it. :?
Arigatomina

Postby Sporkmaster » Thu Jul 03, 2003 11:21 pm

Demos, its all about the demos.
When ever in doubt about getting a bad review remember these words; Shut up and make it better.
Xombie!The animated series
Something or other, newest video
Sporkmaster

Postby Sereenie » Fri Jul 04, 2003 4:42 pm

Thanks! I'll try it with Virtual Dub (I don't have WMM) so at least I can compare those two together (this way I'm comparing oranges with oranges -- they're both low-end).

It's just that some tools are great for some things, but terrible for others. AMV making being such a specific way of working (multiple, high density clips), I expect that not all products are appropriate and that a lot of them simply do not answer to our needs. Considering I have never used such a software and a lot of people here have tried most of what's on the market, I'd save myself a lot of frustration trying here first. ^_^;

So, anyway, thanks for your help, it's really appreciated!

S.
Sereenie

Postby ryuujin1 » Thu Jul 31, 2003 9:39 am

Is there a movie maker that uses .VOB files?
ryuujin1

PreviousNext

Return to General AMV