Newbies: How to make your first AMV

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
OmniStrata
Org Profile

Post by OmniStrata » Wed Aug 14, 2002 11:47 am

I've done 3 Inu Yasha videos!

:lol:

Whoa...

I guess it's fine to make more than one amv per anime. [looks at jBone and ErMaC.]

But you can only do so much before the audience gets bored and says, "oh, it's another Big O video."

or

"Great another Eva video from him again".

Be big on variety after you've done 4 or so of the same anime. I did what can possibly be the first "Dramatic Dance" video! ^_^
"Strength lies in action. Let the weak react to me..." - Kamahl, Pit Fighter from Magic: the Gathering
"That is a mistake many of my enemies make. They think before they act. I act before I think!" - Vortigern from Merlin ('98)
"I AM REBORN!" - Dark Schneider Bastard!! OAV

CaTaClYsM
Org Profile

Post by CaTaClYsM » Wed Aug 14, 2002 2:10 pm

but remember, this thread of for noobs, they should be warned not to go strait for a linkin ball z vid. It is actually in thier best interests not to because they will fall into the same trap most noobs do, and noone exept for a few friends and a diehard fan or two will actually watch it..

And as for making vids of rare animes; I think making vids for the same anime can be a good thing in the sense that after each video the person learns more about making a video for than anime, he will know how well the song worked, which clips to use and not use, and theoreticaly be better prepared for the next vid he makes, problem is I don't know if this theory works or not.

Remember that in theory comunism works, look how that went.

WillWorkForTrigun
Org Profile

vhs

Post by WillWorkForTrigun » Wed Aug 14, 2002 5:01 pm

i have a ton of rayearth movies on VHS.
how do i get the movie files from the tape onto the computer?

Mask of Destiny
Org Profile

Post by Mask of Destiny » Wed Aug 14, 2002 8:45 pm

i have a ton of rayearth movies on VHS.
how do i get the movie files from the tape onto the computer?
You need to get a capture card. Check out the hardware review section for advice on which one to buy.

Kai Stromler
Org Profile

Re: Some help... [Virtual Dub as editing environment]

Post by Kai Stromler » Fri Aug 16, 2002 9:53 am

OmniStrata wrote:

notes and warnings: Premiere will not run too well on low end systems. Look in my a-m-v.org profile for what my system looks like. I rank it quite high for editing. My previous system was a 300MHz with 64M SDRAM! AND I STILL EDITED!!! ^_^
If your system is too slow to run Premiere within the limits of your patience/time and you are too cheap to upgrade/switch to another editor (I use Dazzle's MovieStar mostly, despite its ghetto reputation; thinking of upgrading from their MPEG1/2 toolset to DV), it is possible IN THEORY (currently working on the practice part) to make an AMV solely using Avery Lee's free (as in beer and as in speech) video processing tool VirtualDub, which most people around anime online should be familiar with. You'll be limited with regard to your effects, but the only things you'll really be missing from your toolbox are layering, morph, and transition effects.

If you've got the patience, you can do all kinds of transforms in VDub by editing frame-by-frame; so far I've done a 360-degree rotation, a pendulum swing, and an inversion strobe. Want a blinding strobe? Clip a single frame, use the built-in threshold filter to make it completely white, and insert that after every frame in the clip you want to flash. Want to make your video go twice as fast? Delete every other frame (1234 -> 13). Twice as slow? Dupe all frames (1234 -> 11223344). It takes time, patience, and trial and error to make VDub work for you, but that's true of any editing system.

For more advanced effects, you might want to try MEIMI (sorry I don't have a link), especially if you have Japanese fonts installed -- there's no English patch yet. I haven't had much time to work on getting it running, but I've had a video to finish lately. If anyone's remotely interested I will provide aditional details as the Freeware AMV Project proceeds.

--Kai
Shin Hatsubai is a Premiere-free studio. Insomni-Ack is habitually worthless.
CHOPWORK - abominations of maceration
skywide, armspread : forward, upward
Coelem - Tenebral Presence single now freely available

AMVUserII
Org Profile

Post by AMVUserII » Fri Aug 16, 2002 7:57 pm

Well New ppl to AMVs

Read the Guides and the FAQs here and you'll be on your way.

-"We are the Next Generation in Anime Music Videos. We are Next Generation Films Inc."
-Next Generation Films Inc. (NGF)

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Post by Castor Troy » Fri Aug 16, 2002 8:13 pm

I had pentium 1, 200mhz with 64MB ram and still edited. I did 1/4 of Dragon Bebop Z after effect stuff on it before I got a new comp.

You can take naps during rendering time with that!
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

WillWorkForTrigun
Org Profile

money money money

Post by WillWorkForTrigun » Sat Aug 17, 2002 1:16 pm

so how much are capture cards?
"You cannot alter your fate, however you can rise to meet it if you choose..." - Mononoke Hime -

NicholasDWolfwood
Org Profile

Post by NicholasDWolfwood » Sat Aug 17, 2002 7:15 pm

Capture cards aren't that expensive. I've got an http://www.iomagic.com PC-PVR TV Tuner card, and it's fine. It has S-Video out, RCA in and Comp out (Dunno wtf that is...)

I got it for $50 from the I/O Magic store (Well, actually, my dad got it for me, but same difference..)

It's a pretty useful card, and the software it comes with (Cyberlink PowerVCR II 3.0) will capture into MPEG-1 or MPEG-2.

Lyrs
Org Profile

Post by Lyrs » Sun Sep 01, 2002 11:11 pm

Don't worry, within 2 days the org will feel like home. Just don't go into teh Off Topic/Way Off topics area just yet. Posting anything there is likely to get tons of spam and useless flaming.

Anyhow, I'm sorta something of a newb too so don't feel like you are all alone in a big bad world. I signed up since July 2001 with another member name but I haven't started seriously to make anything other then play. This new ones for forum help.

My suggestion, as may have already been noted, is to play around with small clips first. Get the hang of cuting/pasting and adding new digital effects. Small clip files are easier to mess with and entirely more convient when you consider that some video's can take up to 30 gig's when you first try to make good ones.

Anyway, I read teh guides. They aren't hard to follow and I'm using them to help me mess around with some video/music combinations. I will hopefully have something out, but if not, well that's just life. I'm more into music so it might take me some time to make a video.

People might not like newb's taht much but new blood in teh Org is what keeps the Org alive and fresh, after all, when the senoir member's have gone on to another habby or are all dead due to a past history of spending some much time capturing and editing.

Wow....I didn't notice I was writing so much...anyway, good luck on your first vid when and if you make one.
GeneshaSeal - Dead Seals for Free
Orgasm - It's a Science

Return to “General AMV”