Newbies: How to make your first AMV

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
keiishi87
Org Profile

um looks like you caught ur first n00b.. lol

Post by keiishi87 » Thu Dec 19, 2002 8:25 pm

I just recently got into anime music vids all thanks to "Ah! My Goddess"... that's a really good anime by the way (if you're into the romantic, sci-fi stuff =). This is my first day here at this site, and I've read two or three guides. But I'm still wondering some things, even if they may sound noob-ish to you all. Well, I'm wondering which program(s) I should start out with in order to put an AMV together. I know already that I need good sources preferably from DVD's and the such, but I still don't have a heckuva clue what proggie to use.. I'm using my Windows Movie Maker right now and it's pretty good. But could somebody recommend a better program to use that's free? ThAnKs!

SQ
Doesn't have a title
Org Profile

Post by SQ » Fri Dec 27, 2002 1:03 pm

A Free program? Err. . . . .

I think only WMM falls into that catergory. I know a lot of people bash WMM, but don't worry about it. Some vids turn out really good (Everyone who has seen my "Pills" vid, THAT was made with WMM) in it.

I made two to three videos with WMM before I started understanding how to pull some good quality vids from it. The only things wrong with it that I can see are that it only exports in .WMV format, messes sound quality up a little, and only has additive dissolves(fades) for effects.

If you can find it, I believe Adobe Premiere 6.0 is on KaZaA, But I'd recommend buying it even if it is in the $600 range just so you can have that manual. -pats manual-

Other good programs that I know of cannot be found on KaZaA or any other file sharing device and are a hell of a lot more expensive. Dazzle also works as editing, but I find that the program is horrible, so I don't use it as much as Premiere or WMM.

I hope that helps you out a little.

Contact me if you're having any trouble with WMM and can't find the help you need on the help page.
StandardQuip
Discord: @standardquip
BentoVid (previously AMV Sashimi) Discord Server

Genjo_Sanzo
Org Profile

problom

Post by Genjo_Sanzo » Thu Jan 02, 2003 3:27 am

oops i was stupid. I, against all information I heard against it finished my first amv using Divx files. Then when I finished it the video quality was crap. So now I have to redo it. So I got huffyuv but when I change my .vob files into .avi all i get is colored static. Does anyone know an answer to my problom?

jbone
Org Profile

Post by jbone » Thu Jan 02, 2003 9:18 am

WHAT THE FUCK?

Some moderator edited the first post, changing some of the stuff significantly!

It looks as if I'm saying stuff which I would never, ever say to do (for example, use Gordian Knot to rip a DVD to DivX or XviD, and then use it as source.)

Hey, mods, either change it back to what I said, ask ME how *I* would want MY OWN post updated, or take my picture out of the post.

And you can bet your little moderator ass I'm gonna talk to Phade about this. Sheesh.[/i]

[MOD359: I simply added what was in one of your later posts, I didn't change anything - I consolidated one of your later posts with the first. AS I SAID in another thread to you - please post a complete update of the post right here and I will update the first post for you.]
"If someone feels the need to 'express' himself or herself with a huge graphical 'singature' that has nothing to do with anything, that person should reevaluate his or her reasons for needing said form of expression, possibly with the help of a licensed mental health practitioner."

jbone
Org Profile

Post by jbone » Thu Jan 02, 2003 8:04 pm

MOD359 wrote:[MOD359: I simply added what was in one of your later posts, I didn't change anything - I consolidated one of your later posts with the first. AS I SAID in another thread to you - please post a complete update of the post right here and I will update the first post for you.]
Y'know, I don't make a habit of reading months-old threads. So leaving me a message in this thread to tell me something isn't really a good way to get in contact with me...
"If someone feels the need to 'express' himself or herself with a huge graphical 'singature' that has nothing to do with anything, that person should reevaluate his or her reasons for needing said form of expression, possibly with the help of a licensed mental health practitioner."

Sub0
Org Profile

Re: um looks like you caught ur first n00b.. lol

Post by Sub0 » Fri Jan 03, 2003 1:30 pm

keiishi87 wrote:I just recently got into anime music vids all thanks to "Ah! My Goddess"... that's a really good anime by the way (if you're into the romantic, sci-fi stuff =). This is my first day here at this site, and I've read two or three guides. But I'm still wondering some things, even if they may sound noob-ish to you all. Well, I'm wondering which program(s) I should start out with in order to put an AMV together. I know already that I need good sources preferably from DVD's and the such, but I still don't have a heckuva clue what proggie to use.. I'm using my Windows Movie Maker right now and it's pretty good. But could somebody recommend a better program to use that's free? ThAnKs!
my first vid was from the freeware, virtual dub, I've never even tried WMM... basically all I did was peice clips together, it sucked but it wasn't vdub's fault. Vdub also has the most basic filters (and a few that Premeir doesn't have too!) and all for free... but it's hard to figure out, no manual (coupla guides though!).

slickwilly102
Org Profile

Post by slickwilly102 » Tue Jan 07, 2003 4:33 am

I recently just started on my very first video. I can honestly say that all the guides and reading the posts in the forums have helped me more than I can say. I am now ripping my own clips off of my DVDs and editing them. Ever since I discovered anime I have wanted to do videos but never had the time/technology/knowledge to do it. I just wanted to say thanks to all the guys who made the guides and answered my questions. Hopefully I can make some AMVs that you and other people can enjoy. Thanks again.

CloudF27
Org Profile

Post by CloudF27 » Tue Jan 21, 2003 4:41 pm

Hey, I just recently finished my first vid, and it wasnt that bad (though i dont doubt that there are far better ones). Anyways, I used Vegas Video 3.0 and it worked fairly well. My prob is that when i finished, i looked at the size of my vid and i almost fell out of my chair. It was around 897,000Kb!! If anyone can help me in making this smaller, I would greatly appreciate it.

(Go easy on me, i just got into this)
"I can understand if you want to kill me, but you must understand, i might retalliate."
--Troa Barton--
"It's not? ... but my ship works better when i kick it?"
--Spike Speigel--

Jebadia
Org Profile

Post by Jebadia » Tue Jan 21, 2003 6:58 pm

Uhm...simple, compress it better using a different codec..., if your having further trouble, read Ermac and AD's guide, it'll tell yah what yah need to know on how to get good results with Xvid and such.
"If you believe in yourself, eat all your school, stay on milk, drink your teeth, don't do sleep, and get your eight hours of drugs, you can get WORK!"
Paperskunk:...PENIS!!!!!!!!! GIANT PENIS!!!!!!!!!! ERMAC WHAT HAVE YOU DONE!!!!!!!! GIANT JUICY PENIS!!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHH MY EYES!!!!!!

Pierrot Le Fou
Org Profile

Post by Pierrot Le Fou » Sat Jan 25, 2003 1:50 pm

What's wrong with DivX 4/5? That's what I encoded my first AMV with,
and it seems fine to me...

Return to “General AMV”