Newbies: How to make your first AMV

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
Saeth1
Org Profile

Post by Saeth1 » Thu Jul 31, 2003 11:30 am

I think some can, but if you Read <a href=http://www.a-m-v.org/guides/avtech31/>ErMaC & AbsoluteDestiny's Friendly AMV Guides</a>(Read Ermac and Absolute Destinies Friendly AMV Guide) it describes how to convert VOBS into avs, which is much better to edit in (less errors!)

http://www.animemusicvideos.org/guides/avtech/

Theres a clicky to the guide, if you have any other questions, it's most likely answered in there..

if not check the video software help forum, and good luck ;)

JoesGarage
Org Profile

Post by JoesGarage » Mon Aug 04, 2003 9:57 pm

Hi, i really hope this is on topic and all and i skimmed through this thread and looked at some of the guides and stuff but i am still confused.

My question is: I have a MacOsX.......i am going to use iMovie to do the editing, my problem is.........i have no idea how to get footage. I hear talk of ripping but i have no idea what that is, and is it different for a mac then a pc? plus, if you can download it (which is prolly considered to be piracy and if it is im sorry) where can you download it for macs? If there is a good link in the guides section can you post it here cuz i could not find it, or if you can answer my questions thanks very much!! i'm sorry. ^_^;; ^_^;;

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Tue Aug 05, 2003 3:54 pm

Excellent question there Joe. Did you check out the guides? Try this area of the guide here, I wonder if anything there might be relevant to your question I'm not sure myself as I've never done it, but my assumption is that the process would essentially be the same.

PS.

Love the nick. :wink:

Down in Joe's Garage...
We were playing the same old song...
...play it through the evening and sometimes...

*goes off singing*
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

NME
Org Profile

Frank Zappa

Post by NME » Tue Aug 05, 2003 4:05 pm

Frank Zappa lives in my head, relentlessly martyring.

nevermind.

Guides are good, but the best thing to do when making an AMV is to just fool around. No one ever wrote a beautiful song, poem or painted a picture without a modicum of whimsy and magical fruitflavored jelly.

I love you mousepad.
nil per os

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Tue Aug 05, 2003 4:20 pm

Ya but you gotta have footage! :roll:
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

NME
Org Profile

Post by NME » Tue Aug 05, 2003 4:22 pm

isn't that implied?

You do need materials to do anything artistic. I think.

Goddamn technicalities.
nil per os

JoesGarage
Org Profile

Post by JoesGarage » Wed Aug 06, 2003 1:47 pm

Otohiko wrote:Excellent question there Joe. Did you check out the guides? Try this area of the guide here, I wonder if anything there might be relevant to your question I'm not sure myself as I've never done it, but my assumption is that the process would essentially be the same.

PS.

Love the nick. :wink:

Down in Joe's Garage...
We were playing the same old song...
...play it through the evening and sometimes...

*goes off singing*
I did read the link you gave me, it is pretty good actually. It's just that i am still confused with the ripping of the dvds part. It gave links in there to download ripping programs, but the links go to otehr links and i just got lost ya know? lol. O well, i guess i should go back to figuring it out, but if anyone has a good ripping program, can you give me the link to download it from, and if there are many links, can you tell me which one to choose? haha, thanks!!

ooo and thank you for liking my nickname, it is a good song. lol.

JoesGarage
Org Profile

Post by JoesGarage » Wed Aug 06, 2003 1:54 pm

hmm, it seems like you can't edit posts, so sorry for double posting but.....i forgot to metion that i have a mac, so not all programs will work. I found this one program but it has legal troubles, so i don't want to bother. But, i have a dvd burner on another computer in my house, i just remembered would that be ok?

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Wed Aug 06, 2003 3:38 pm

DVD burner? I don't see how that's relevant.

All you need is a DVD-ROM and one of those programs that works. If that other machine you're talking about is a PC (not Mac) - try getting some of those programs there and see if you get more luck with them on a PC. Although if you plan to edit the footage on an Mac after, it would make a bit of a problem transefering the raw footage from one computer to another (takes up lots of space). So maybe getting something to work on the Mac is a good idea.

I suggest you try reading over the guide again and take time going through the links, just so you don't miss any possibilities. After all, the guide was written by the biggest AMV tech experts, and if that doesn't help you - who knows what will.

Also, if you don't find an answer there, I suggest you try to post a new thread on this same forum (General AMV) and see if any other Mac users talk back...

good luck then 8)

Kai Stromler
Org Profile

Post by Kai Stromler » Wed Aug 06, 2003 3:49 pm

or better yet read Red Wolf's Mac AMV guide (don't know why this isn't linked on the page with the other guides). It's supposedly a little out of date, but should cover you fine...and if not you can always ask him your questions direct by email. He's kinda busy, though, with running the AMV DC and all, so don't get too hung up on an immediate reply.

--K
Shin Hatsubai is a Premiere-free studio. Insomni-Ack is habitually worthless.
CHOPWORK - abominations of maceration
skywide, armspread : forward, upward
Coelem - Tenebral Presence single now freely available

Return to “General AMV”