Newbies: How to make your first AMV

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
Sub0
Org Profile

Re: um looks like you caught ur first n00b.. lol

Post by Sub0 » Fri Jan 03, 2003 1:30 pm

keiishi87 wrote:I just recently got into anime music vids all thanks to "Ah! My Goddess"... that's a really good anime by the way (if you're into the romantic, sci-fi stuff =). This is my first day here at this site, and I've read two or three guides. But I'm still wondering some things, even if they may sound noob-ish to you all. Well, I'm wondering which program(s) I should start out with in order to put an AMV together. I know already that I need good sources preferably from DVD's and the such, but I still don't have a heckuva clue what proggie to use.. I'm using my Windows Movie Maker right now and it's pretty good. But could somebody recommend a better program to use that's free? ThAnKs!
my first vid was from the freeware, virtual dub, I've never even tried WMM... basically all I did was peice clips together, it sucked but it wasn't vdub's fault. Vdub also has the most basic filters (and a few that Premeir doesn't have too!) and all for free... but it's hard to figure out, no manual (coupla guides though!).

slickwilly102
Org Profile

Post by slickwilly102 » Tue Jan 07, 2003 4:33 am

I recently just started on my very first video. I can honestly say that all the guides and reading the posts in the forums have helped me more than I can say. I am now ripping my own clips off of my DVDs and editing them. Ever since I discovered anime I have wanted to do videos but never had the time/technology/knowledge to do it. I just wanted to say thanks to all the guys who made the guides and answered my questions. Hopefully I can make some AMVs that you and other people can enjoy. Thanks again.

CloudF27
Org Profile

Post by CloudF27 » Tue Jan 21, 2003 4:41 pm

Hey, I just recently finished my first vid, and it wasnt that bad (though i dont doubt that there are far better ones). Anyways, I used Vegas Video 3.0 and it worked fairly well. My prob is that when i finished, i looked at the size of my vid and i almost fell out of my chair. It was around 897,000Kb!! If anyone can help me in making this smaller, I would greatly appreciate it.

(Go easy on me, i just got into this)
"I can understand if you want to kill me, but you must understand, i might retalliate."
--Troa Barton--
"It's not? ... but my ship works better when i kick it?"
--Spike Speigel--

Jebadia
Org Profile

Post by Jebadia » Tue Jan 21, 2003 6:58 pm

Uhm...simple, compress it better using a different codec..., if your having further trouble, read Ermac and AD's guide, it'll tell yah what yah need to know on how to get good results with Xvid and such.
"If you believe in yourself, eat all your school, stay on milk, drink your teeth, don't do sleep, and get your eight hours of drugs, you can get WORK!"
Paperskunk:...PENIS!!!!!!!!! GIANT PENIS!!!!!!!!!! ERMAC WHAT HAVE YOU DONE!!!!!!!! GIANT JUICY PENIS!!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHH MY EYES!!!!!!

Pierrot Le Fou
Org Profile

Post by Pierrot Le Fou » Sat Jan 25, 2003 1:50 pm

What's wrong with DivX 4/5? That's what I encoded my first AMV with,
and it seems fine to me...

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Sat Jan 25, 2003 2:40 pm

Why settle with fine when you can have good?

;p

Nihao Shampoo
Org Profile

Post by Nihao Shampoo » Fri Jan 31, 2003 4:05 am

Stupid n00b question alert! Okay, now that I've read over all this and understand some (read that some Can someone break it down in Special Olympic terms for me? Or is this a p0intless question that's already been answered? 0.o Gawd, if only I'd known what I was jumping into... Remind me to wipe my feet. Once you get past all the technilogical mumbo jumbo this doesn't seem that difficult (Come into my den said the spider to the fly). Hoo boy is this n00b in for a rude awakening... Anyhoo, yay! Can someone break it down in those dumbass terms?

Nihao Shampoo
Org Profile

Post by Nihao Shampoo » Fri Jan 31, 2003 4:10 am

Oh. righty, my name is Nihao Shampoo (gotta love a psychotic Chinese chick--although I'm not Chinese or a chick) and uh, I'm the newest n00b flooding the airwaves with my crap, welcome to my special kind of hell... :twisted: I really like AMV's (well, duh, right?) and hate the crappy ones, which is part of the reason that I joined this forum... To try and make crappier ones, yay! Not! I shall be reviered and honored once someone tells me what all these funny looking things are that I am curently clacking away at. :D and what the hell HTML is and what bitrate is, and blah blah blah blah...
Heh, this should be as fun as a lobotomy Egyptian style...

Pierrot Le Fou
Org Profile

Post by Pierrot Le Fou » Fri Jan 31, 2003 12:45 pm

You really are a strange one, arent you? At least you have a good grasp of the english language. I suggest you find and download Videomach 2.6.3. It certainly doesnt get the hype that more popular programs get, but its as user friendly as it comes. Put video here, put audio here, click here to edit in/out points... its quite simple. And make sure you have all of the newest vid and audio codecs before starting. ;D

hackerzc
Org Profile

Re: Newbies: How to make your first AMV

Post by hackerzc » Mon Feb 03, 2003 3:33 am

jbone wrote: Getting Sources:

If you have the DVDs, then rip them to either DivX 3.11alpha or XviD. My advice if you are new to ripping the source from the dvd is to use GordianKnot and encode to DivX 3.11alpha.

[MOD359: Edited 12/19/02]
But rippind as DivX or XviD (XviD is bette by the way, so you newbies know) is so.......so primitive!

Rip as Vob's and use AVISynth (I don't but it is good) or DVD2AVI and just convert everything to AVI (AVI, the editors chioce! Drink AVI cola!).

But unless I am only working with one series or a movie or something I capture. It's just quicker when working with like 5 different series and you only need a 1 second clip or somthing from an episode of something. And when it comes time to make it into an MPEG2, you can't tell the difference between ripping and capping. (I don't care what you say, you can't since everything has been downgraded to the same quality as everything else).
John Westbrook
Otakon, Fan Parody Dept. Head

Return to “General AMV”