How often do people see an AMV the way the creator sees it?

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
CaTaClYsM
Org Profile

How often do people see an AMV the way the creator sees it?

Post by CaTaClYsM » Fri Aug 09, 2002 7:43 pm

read topic

jbone
Org Profile

Post by jbone » Fri Aug 09, 2002 7:46 pm

okay, I did
"If someone feels the need to 'express' himself or herself with a huge graphical 'singature' that has nothing to do with anything, that person should reevaluate his or her reasons for needing said form of expression, possibly with the help of a licensed mental health practitioner."

CaTaClYsM
Org Profile

Post by CaTaClYsM » Fri Aug 09, 2002 7:50 pm

*sigh*

priuscomet
Org Profile

Post by priuscomet » Fri Aug 09, 2002 7:56 pm

well, you do tend to do that "read topic" thing a bit too much.

anyway, it really depends how much the creator expressed his thoughts well. if the creator made a pretty vague plotted vid...then obviously you'll get various views from the viewers. people precieve many things differently, especially on an abstract vid. so its all up to the editor.

FirestormXIII
Org Profile

Post by FirestormXIII » Fri Aug 09, 2002 10:48 pm

I think that the viewer of such-and-such a video hardly ever sees a video the same way the creator did. It's just the nature of things. Some can understand more than others, but you can't completely understand unless you put the video together yourself. People have different quirks when they edit, and no two people think alike so... *shrug*.
Everyone is not the same as you.
Get over it.
And lighten up.

SarahtheBoring
Org Profile

Post by SarahtheBoring » Sat Aug 10, 2002 12:01 am

In the best situation, they will see it just as the editor saw it, because the video will just be made that well - if it is meant to be ambiguous, then we KNOW it is ambiguous, and we feel/think what the editor feels/thinks. In other words, it will be a clear copy of the editor's thoughts/feelings on the subject.

However, as with anything in life, this usually isn't the case. Also, keep in mind that we are taking from outside sources here, not creating something from scratch - so each viewer brings with him/her their own preexisting thoughts and biases about the anime AND the music. So from that angle it's probably going to be tinted somewhat by what they bring to it.

MistyCaldwell
Org Profile

Post by MistyCaldwell » Sat Aug 10, 2002 12:41 am

I agree with Firestorm, but kind of the other way around.

I think that once you have made an amv, spent hours and hours looking at it in single frame, planning story, changing things and so on....that you won't be able to look at it like someone who just watches videos can.

Also, I think making amv changes the way you look at all amvs from there on. Sometimes, seeing things in their most...naked form can just change the way you look at that thing forever.

my other examples are tv and movies. I look at them critically now, and I can never go back to being just a viewer amazed by "what those production people" can do

Ikasu
Org Profile

Post by Ikasu » Sat Aug 10, 2002 2:01 am

In my case this has been a big problem...Most people don't see my Enigma video like the artistic approach I took towards it....XStylus picked up on it but maybe he didn't...who knows?.....All I know that is my film teacher picked up on it....lol

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Post by Castor Troy » Sat Aug 10, 2002 2:07 am

I remember this one DBZ rap video done to a dmx song made me crack up so hard I thought it was a comedy. But later I read the description for it and the creator intended for it to be serious.

People laughed at OtakuOutpost's "one day more" and it was meant to be drama.... ditto for Maboroshi's Sweating Bullets.

Everyone views things differently so a description of the video really helps us figure out what the creator is trying to do.
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

Paul Kievits
Org Profile

Post by Paul Kievits » Sat Aug 10, 2002 12:24 pm

Most of the time creators use little thingies and almost invisible effects that are only spottable if you know they're there. So most of the time most people will not see the vid the way the author meant, but on the other hand they could spot other neat stuff the creator didn't even mean to include. It's kind of like Kubrick's take on the end of 2001 "If anyone ever understand it I quit directing"...
Get my 5th video "Mass Murderer": here

Return to “General AMV”