Losing interest

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
Mr. Fancypants
Org Profile

Losing interest

Post by Mr. Fancypants » Sat Aug 03, 2002 12:29 am

I have a problem with losing interest in videos that I try making. I get about a third way through and just stop. I've done this with at least four amv's. I'm trying hard to stay focused with my current work in progress, but who knows if I'll finish it.

My question for the master amv creators is how do you keep interest with such a long project? Is it just commitment or having nothing else to do?

Oh well, any input on this would be helpful.

trythil
is
Org Profile

Post by trythil » Sat Aug 03, 2002 12:41 am

I'm hardly a master, but...

I see AMVs as a form of artistic expression. That is, it reflects a piece of you in every frame you composite.

What this means in relation to your question is that if you're starting to lose interest in AMVs, well, then don't do them -- it sounds like you're forcing yourself to get these things done, and if you just lose vision at some point down the road, that's fine. Lots of artists do that.

Thus it's not purely commitment nor boredom -- I suppose you could say it's both, topped with sweet insight. It's that inspirational moment; it's the revelation. It's that dogged determination that grips your mind and doesn't let go until you've finished the project.

It seems to me that that is the kind of environment that produces the best pieces of work. Anything else always seems to be sub-standard.

So...take a break, do something else. Maybe you'll find something that'll be inspirational.
...The truth is, we [cartoonists] hold a blank sheet of paper, stare into space, and let our minds wander...When something interests us, we play around with it. Sometimes this yields...an observation; sometimes it doesn't, but that's about all there is to it."
-- Bill Watterson, on the creative process.

Mr. Fancypants
Org Profile

Post by Mr. Fancypants » Sat Aug 03, 2002 2:09 am

wow. poetic, insightful, and very helpful. thanks a bunch :D

klinky
Org Profile

Post by klinky » Sat Aug 03, 2002 2:12 am

alot of my amv's get banished away to the wayside... Though I think Iam a little lazy most of the time..

Kamoc
Org Profile

Post by Kamoc » Sat Aug 03, 2002 2:14 am

when you do something that interests you, it invigerates you to know that you're actually doing it. something that seems so cool to be doing, all the while thinking about other cool things that can be done in the midst of doing this cool thing. other 'cool' ideas explode around your head as you try to concentrate on which video and which scene to use while going through your video, all the while straying from your first vision of masterpiece brought together soley by you, the almight AMV creator. things just begin to lose their general appeal after a while; thinking becomes straining and actually doing something about it prevents you from completing any progress in your overall could-have-been masterpiece.

my suggestion is to plan things out one step at a time. your curiosity fuels itself as to see whether or not your video will become truly excelent as you reach those final spots to render. don't give up. also, try to think of the best idea you can. if you do a whole bunch of small 'look what i can do!' videos, you become succeptable to the dull and tediousness that is the creating of anime music videos. don't let that happen. render and re-render to watch your own work come to life under your very hand that thought up your incredible plot-music-anime translation to glory. prevent any stray thoughts from entering your mind by satisfying it with your blood and sweat that is your video. this should be a joyous occasion; not a hurtful one. once your final video is done, you'll see what i mean. showing off all that work can be as rewarding as watching your video for the first time if you do it right. the trick is to know what you're doing in the first place.

..anyway, tonka wish-wash HIYA

Garylisk
Org Profile

Post by Garylisk » Sat Aug 03, 2002 3:20 am

I've started over 20AMV projects. I've finished 5. What have I learned? Not to announce the vid til you're sure it'll get done! Look at my profile... I have a vid there called "Growing up and Closer" that I had almost done, but kept being dis-satisfied with this and that here and there.. and pretty soon I was redoing it.. and redoing it again... but it's listed on the site! :P

I wouldn't count on that vid being done til LATE this year. Sheesh. :P

In other words, I learned my lesson. And I relearn it every itme I get an email asking when that vid's gonna be done :P
Alcohol, Drugs, Overdrive, Noise, Neon Lights, Party People, Revolution

fellowhoodlum
Org Profile

Post by fellowhoodlum » Sat Aug 03, 2002 6:39 am

Of course, we all look towards RamonesFan for inspiration regarding this sort of topic... :D

Melfina
Org Profile

Post by Melfina » Sat Aug 03, 2002 10:14 am

Heh, I find it quite entertaining banging my head against the wall until i literally cram the anime into my head. Sometimes the dizzy effect brings back memories of lost anime treasures that I can use.
Forum Nublar
Webmaster and founder of

Eek-1
Org Profile

Post by Eek-1 » Sat Aug 03, 2002 4:47 pm

Hey Im having the same problem as you too, not just amv but also anime, but I don't feel at loss. If you don't feel at it then don't force yourself to do it. There are other hobbies you can try collecting stamps, coins, fishing etc.

Certain ppl managed to keep their interest in tracking amv because of their career or dream, to become a multimedia director, or animator or anything related.

Ciao.

I have a dream.. a song to sing.. to help me cope with anything... bla bla bla yea yeaaah! I believeeein angels.....

Wyverex
Org Profile

Post by Wyverex » Sat Aug 03, 2002 5:55 pm

To keep interest into my current AMV I have to surprise me all long. I mean I have to do at least one great part, one great effect to continue making my AMV the next day. Sometimes I have to force myself to continue, hoping I'll make my great effect tomorrow... But I can't edit a whole week without any results I am proud of or I stop.

I have started 5 projects. Two have been made and released (and they suck), one has been corrupted by Premiere (hate that...), one is still under editing and the 5th one has been given up.
Maybe I'll make a second version of it... maybe... later.

Return to “General AMV”