"Beta" version - Worth doing, or don't bother?

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
SarahtheBoring
Org Profile

"Beta" version - Worth doing, or don't bother?

Post by SarahtheBoring » Mon Jul 29, 2002 10:10 pm

OK, here's my situation right now.

The only workable idea I have at the moment is based on source that is not out on DVD here, so my chances of getting good source are essentially nil. (Yes yes I know there's some way of hacking my DVD player and importing Japanese DVDs at some hellacious markup or something, but I'm not good enough at editing to warrant those sorts of desperate measures.)

...so err, yes. Now I like the idea. It pleases me. It's probably not going to be liked by many, as it's niche in subject and stylistically straightforward, without tons of ub3rL337 editing.

I could not make the video at all, or I could make it now with bad source and try waiting till (if) it comes out on DVD to re-cut a new, better one. (I don't think I'd wait till it came out for my first crack at it, because I don't have any other ideas to practice on till then, if that day should ever come. X_x)

Yet I've heard using sub-crystal-clear source will bring legions of rabid viewers crying for my entrails to be ripped out and baked into a pie.

Do I bother, knowing it will make me happy yet universally hated?

Keep in mind that I don't take AMVing that seriously. I'd rather just sit back and watch the cool stuff other people have done, as I have no natural knack for it. ;)

Opinions?

FurryCurry
Org Profile

Post by FurryCurry » Mon Jul 29, 2002 10:39 pm

If the source you have is a recent, DivX fansub, some of those look really good. certainly good enough for an AMV.

Anyway, why not go for it? you're doing it for fun, not profit, right?

I have a very few vids in my collection that look rather like ass, quality wise, but are just plain cool, and I'm glad to have them as they are, rather than not at all.

Good luck, I'm looking forward to your video. :)
My Eyes Are The Victim's Eyes.
My Hands Are The Assailant's Hands.

ShonenDizzyCow
Org Profile

Post by ShonenDizzyCow » Tue Jul 30, 2002 12:20 am

I've re-made 7 of my music videos before, 3 when I had access to better quality footage, 4 when I knew technically better how to rip footage.

It's a bit of a pain I admit, considering some of the remaking took longer than the time it took to make the original, but I never really considered at that time that I might eventually had access to better quality footage, so I went and made the videos anyways at that time.

But nowadays since it takes quite a number of hours for me to make my videos, I tend to wait it out to get the DVD before starting, but that's just me.

priuscomet
Org Profile

Post by priuscomet » Tue Jul 30, 2002 12:21 am

hmm....if the idea is really really great and you know it will be a kick ass vid despite the vid quality then go for it. i mean...one category out of how many don't really matter. but if its a so-so idea then i guess you should just do it for ur kicks.

basically, go for it... just choose if you want to make it public or not.

alternatefutures
Org Profile

Post by alternatefutures » Tue Jul 30, 2002 12:41 am

I'm going to be the dissenting viewpoint and say sit on it. Assuming there's a possibility of it coming out on DVD where you are it will be much easier for you to make a "final" version if you haven't made a beta. Just think of it this way. Right now, the video wants to be made. As long as it does, it will be a joy to edit and the product will be great. Once it's made, that's it. Most of the time the idea will have exhausted itself and won't like to be revisited. Thus, when you remake it, it will seem like pulling teeth. You may even say "ah f*ck it!" and your beta will be your final. So, let it wait. Let the idea marinate in your brain juices for a while longer. There's no rush, so wait until you can do it right.

Ikasu
Org Profile

Post by Ikasu » Tue Jul 30, 2002 3:26 am

all I have to say is...go for it....=P

SarahtheBoring
Org Profile

Post by SarahtheBoring » Tue Jul 30, 2002 8:03 pm

Interesting ideas... though again, I stress that NOTHING I do, no matter what the source, is ever, ever going to kick ass. Under any circumstances. ;)

That said though, I guess waiting has a lot going for it. Less trash in the gene pool, and maybe a video at the end (if I don't forget all the shots in my head ;)).

Meh, six months or more without making anything is going to suck, though. I don't have any other ideas. ^_^;;

paizuri
Org Profile

Post by paizuri » Wed Jul 31, 2002 9:57 am

I say go ahead and do it. Yeah, some people might be put off by the video quality, but you have an excuse anyways. Besides, you can always just not "release" the video to the general public and only show it to friends until the DVD source becomes available.
My favorite video: Grilled Steak Trigun I LOVE THE COPS! Rargh!
I ain't 2 proud 2 beg! haha school rumble is great
Why do I always have the most preposterous sigs???
My current favorite thread. I'm a huge fan of GA-JAMMING.

fellowhoodlum
Org Profile

Post by fellowhoodlum » Wed Jul 31, 2002 10:18 am

Of course, in six months the creative inspiration may have died out.

My bet is to make the video first; but you can always hold back on publicising it and decide if you want to re-do it once the DVD source becomes available.

No harm in making more videos. Anyone could use the practice :D

Atreyu Hibiki
Org Profile

Post by Atreyu Hibiki » Wed Jul 31, 2002 11:24 pm

Okay, this is a bit off-topic, but I was wondering if anyone would be interested in seeing my admittedly low-budget (made from Divx on Windows Movie Maker) music videos? I get the feeling from this thread that mid-quality picture isn't well-recieved... :?

If anyone cares, *please* let me know. I have 9 finished, and they range from the Ranma cast singing "C is for Cookie" to a misc. series video to "Lucy in the Sky"... If no one cares, I'll just make 'em for my friends and not bother finding a hosting space.

- Atreyu Hibiki, signing off.

Return to “General AMV”