Same AMVs

This forum is for the general discussion of Anime Music Videos.

Same AMVs

Postby Anime Jedi » Sat Jul 27, 2002 7:54 pm

I don't know if anybody else has ever noticed, but when you watch as many AMVs as I do, you tend to notice some strange things. Like the other day, I watched this new AMV, and I noticed that the visual part was practically the exact same as another AMV. This couldn't have been just a coincidence. I won't say what the AMVs were, because I don't want to make any false accusations. I would just like to know if anybody has ever noticed something like that.
Anime Jedi

Postby priuscomet » Sat Jul 27, 2002 8:08 pm

yeah i saw something like that. the visual part was exactly the same as another vid that i saw previously. from begining to end. so i checked out the dates that both vids were made and i put a bad opinion for the one that copied the original. the guy did a terrible job on it anyway.
priuscomet

Postby alternatefutures » Sat Jul 27, 2002 8:10 pm

Assuming only basic editing techniques are used, there's a finite ammount of footage with a finite number of ways to combine them (alright, so it's finite even if you used extreamly advanced techniques... only much less so). Considering your average AMV does have some logic behind it then that limits the possible combinations down even furthur. But, to answer your question directly, yes, I have seen that happen. Quite often in fact, especially with Eva and Trigun vids (perhaps because there's just so many of them), but I just chalk it up to statistical probability and perhaps some subconcious mimicking, nothing dishonest though.
alternatefutures

Postby The Wired Knight » Sun Jul 28, 2002 12:38 am

This is just inevitable comparing one does after seeing enough AMVs. It's harmless except sometimes it might get in the way of leaving reviews, or if your drunk, then it might just get in the way because you want to drink and not think of AMVs. Oh Hell, I don't know what I'm talking about anymore.
BANG

Intellectual Property, Real Estate & Probate Attorney.
The Wired Knight

Postby Anime Jedi » Mon Jul 29, 2002 8:10 am

Well, I hope it really is just coincidence, but it was just too weird. When you compare the two side by side, with the scenes and the timing, and the two were exactly the same, you start thinking. One has got to be an imposter. Naturally, you'd think the one whose music and timing that was horrible woulb be the fake, but as I said before, ther is no need to make false accusations
Anime Jedi

Postby TekkaRepliroid Zero » Mon Jul 29, 2002 10:55 am

I've seen it admitted.
<i>TekkaRepliroid Zero</i>
I'll Never be the One that she Needs (first DL-able vid, ops appreciated)
"OOW, Why does it huuuuuuurt?!" - Zim
"Ooonly if you dance with meeeee" - GIR
TekkaRepliroid Zero

Postby FurryCurry » Mon Jul 29, 2002 1:07 pm

I saw something like this at Sakuracon this year. I'm quite certain no direct copying was involved, but with a bunch of the vids that had scenes from EVA, Kenshin,Bebop, or Trigun, you saw cuts to the same scenes over and over.

I believe a big part of this is simply that there are only so many scenes in any given anime that have an unusually high emotional/dramatic content, or are funny, or just plain cool looking, that they stick in the minds of the creators while either planning their vid, or scanning for footage in the clip window.

The differences came with the song selection,editors skill and ability, and at least a little bit, the quality of the source. (nasty, macroblocked, mpeg4 fansub source looks like ASS, kids! ;) )

Overused scenes/animes aside, there were clearly excellent vids there that dominated the competition. (like the Kenshin/Enigma one)

I'm sure a few tards have just swapped in an audio track, but I've yet to see it.
My Eyes Are The Victim's Eyes.
My Hands Are The Assailant's Hands.
FurryCurry

Return to General AMV