false youtube copyright claim?

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
ComplicatedMuse
Org Profile

false youtube copyright claim?

Post by ComplicatedMuse » Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:42 pm

Hi - I'm back with another newbie question...
So, I just got a copyright block on the audiovisual - from 8sian Media Network. It's a Multi-channel network... so it's not the studio...
The specific "anime" in question is The Daily Life of the Immortal King, produced by Bilibili. IF Bilibili wants to block it, so be it... But I'm not so excited about some false claim...
I know my exact video is not an "amv" exactly, but thought I could still ask the experts here on if I understand the process correctly...

I now have a claim. I can dispute it - let's use the fair use reason. They then have 30 days to respond. If they keep the claim and strike me, I can appeal it. Then, they need to show legal actions? And would I understand the situation correctly that they can never take legal action - since they don't own the footage?

I suppose the worst case situation is they somehow did license the show from Bilibili, they sue me, we go to court, I lose fair use argument, pay court fee, still have a strike, and have to wait for strike to expire? (I've never dealt with strikes before - I do actually have a healthy fear of that as well...)

I guess my bottom line question is has anyone dealt with MCN claims like 8sian. Do you think I should dispute or just suck it up and let my video die?

To be clear, this is not the music, which is claimed separately. This claim is specific to audiovisual.

thanks for answering yet another copyright question. I did search through the forum, and most copyright questions were a bit older. So, thought I'd check in on recent practice.

SynaesthesiaVideos
Org Profile

Re: false youtube copyright claim?

Post by SynaesthesiaVideos » Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:46 pm

ComplicatedMuse wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:42 pm
Hi - I'm back with another newbie question...
So, I just got a copyright block on the audiovisual - from 8sian Media Network. It's a Multi-channel network... so it's not the studio...
The specific "anime" in question is The Daily Life of the Immortal King, produced by Bilibili. IF Bilibili wants to block it, so be it... But I'm not so excited about some false claim...
I know my exact video is not an "amv" exactly, but thought I could still ask the experts here on if I understand the process correctly...

I now have a claim. I can dispute it - let's use the fair use reason. They then have 30 days to respond. If they keep the claim and strike me, I can appeal it. Then, they need to show legal actions? And would I understand the situation correctly that they can never take legal action - since they don't own the footage?

I suppose the worst case situation is they somehow did license the show from Bilibili, they sue me, we go to court, I lose fair use argument, pay court fee, still have a strike, and have to wait for strike to expire? (I've never dealt with strikes before - I do actually have a healthy fear of that as well...)

I guess my bottom line question is has anyone dealt with MCN claims like 8sian. Do you think I should dispute or just suck it up and let my video die?

To be clear, this is not the music, which is claimed separately. This claim is specific to audiovisual.

thanks for answering yet another copyright question. I did search through the forum, and most copyright questions were a bit older. So, thought I'd check in on recent practice.
would it be worth going to court over a copyright dispute on an AMV? you can try to dispute but to be honest its a lost cause since they own the source. you can try to edit the part of your video that's getting claimed, its happened to me a few times and I've had almost 100% success rate getting around the claim with a re-edit.

ComplicatedMuse
Org Profile

Post by ComplicatedMuse » Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:12 am

of course not worth going to court... it was more of a trying to extrapolate to what are the possibilities.

My question however is do they own the source??? If they do, I absolutely accept. (I never contest any music, etc.) But this is a MCN..... If a studio doesn't want me to do AMV, I accept. What I don't want to accept is someone who also steal and borrowed the show to claim their content as original in ContentID and just have youtube automatically block everything else...

ComplicatedMuse
Org Profile

Post by ComplicatedMuse » Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:16 am

oh - i should mention it's the ENTIRE video 3:51 that's claimed. So, it's not one of those there is a 20sec clip that the studio claim situation.

SynaesthesiaVideos
Org Profile

Post by SynaesthesiaVideos » Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:47 am

ComplicatedMuse wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:12 am
of course not worth going to court... it was more of a trying to extrapolate to what are the possibilities.

My question however is do they own the source??? If they do, I absolutely accept. (I never contest any music, etc.) But this is a MCN..... If a studio doesn't want me to do AMV, I accept. What I don't want to accept is someone who also steal and borrowed the show to claim their content as original in ContentID and just have youtube automatically block everything else...
not like it really matters in this case, but if they are able to claim it then yes they own it.

ComplicatedMuse
Org Profile

Post by ComplicatedMuse » Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:26 am

SynaesthesiaVideos wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:47 am
if they are able to claim it then yes they own it.
That's not my understanding of how contentID works... And if they're claiming my video in its entirety, not parts of it, which means they are also able to automatically detect and claim the transitions I edited... which I find that very surprising... (I have theories, but I don't want to sound to cynical...)

Mol
Strawberry Pie
Org Profile

Post by Mol » Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:38 am

Actually claim system is garbage (or was) According to top YouTubers at least ( for example pewdiepie getting his content claimed by unrelated parties)
Still better than that MMO.

ComplicatedMuse
Org Profile

Post by ComplicatedMuse » Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:55 pm

well... after looking into ContentID a bit more, it's supposed to be for owners with "exclusive rights".
At least in this case, Bilibili releases content on Youtube, whoever this MCN person is can't claim exclusive rights. So, I pushed that scary button of dispute. Hope the copyright gods smile on me.

I did chat with Google help before, and they advised I include the info on the Bilibili content. So, this may be helpful for those first ep release from Crunchy.

anyway, wish me luck. I'll update you all (if you care for updates)

ComplicatedMuse
Org Profile

Post by ComplicatedMuse » Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:28 pm

well, that was a bust. they rejected my dispute in a little over an hour.
now - have to consider if i push that even scarier button of appeal...

animefan1
Org Profile

Post by animefan1 » Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:23 pm

Mol wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:38 am
Actually claim system is garbage (or was) According to top YouTubers at least ( for example pewdiepie getting his content claimed by unrelated parties)
Yeah, I had that happen with me with a parody song that I made (the instrumentals) but there was like 20 some odd different claims to it! :shock: And combined with the fact that a few of my most popular AMV's got taken down, I decided to have a Vimeo channel instead. This was many years back but I had only one vid flagged over there so much better!
Shenanicon AMV Showcase Staff (2024- )(https://shenanicon.com)

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man HOW to fish and you feed him for life."
-Lao Tzu via Mr. White (Tenkai Knights)

Return to “General AMV”