AMV Panels

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
kitkattasu
Org Profile

AMV Panels

Post by kitkattasu » Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:25 pm

Hi!

Long time member and lover of AMVs. Our city recently had a new specific Anime convention yay! I ran a quick panel of 50min just of a collection of my favs and some historical/throwback ones that are super popular. It was very well received and the room was packed!

I want to do this for them every year and maybe add to it. More specific dialed in panels or even a dedicated room for the whole day/weekend where every hour is divided into categories?

My main questions would be:

*What categories could I separate it all into?
*How much talk/discussion is best?
*Do I even need to speak beyond intro-ing myself/the panel?
*Should I post asking for creators to send me their vids?
*Do I just curate myself from vids I have saved/love?
*Should I have a co-panelist to help?
*Should I apply for each panel individually or contact the con directly and ask if I can work for them to create an entire AMV department type deal?

Thanks!!!

Mango
Org Profile

Re: AMV Panels

Post by Mango » Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:46 pm

Hosting panels is definitely fun, that I agree!

(1) What categories could I separate it all into?

Are you asking the types of panels you can make? I think as long as you have 10-15 videos that are united in a topic, that is enough to separate that subset of videos into a category

(2) How much talk/discussion is best?
It varies per host, and also for what type of panel you are running, there are some panels where the goal is just to play AMVs back to back to back. While I like to take the approach of just appreciating every AMV I show. I take a moment to gush why I love that particular video

(3) Do I even need to speak beyond intro-ing myself/the panel?
You don't need to, but it shouldn't be based on need, only on want :)

(4) Should I post asking for creators to send me their vids?
You could! This way you can get the original video in it's best quality instead of YT Ripping. Also some editors would appreciate you asking!

(5) Do I just curate myself from vids I have saved/love?
I believe so, I don't see the point of showing an AMV you dislike? Unless I am misunderstanding the point of this question.

(6) Should I have a co-panelist to help?
If you mean a co-panelist to host, I personally never felt it necessary, although it can be fun. If you mean a co-panelist to help host the hoard of AMV panels, absolutely especially if you're reaching 3 or more panels. Hopefully the two of you can spread the workload cause hosting and curating paenls is tough!

(7) Should I apply for each panel individually or contact the con directly and ask if I can work for them to create an entire AMV department type deal?
Depends on the con but I would definitely recommend asking the AMV department! Sometimes they have an AMV room that is dedicated to showing AMVs and hosting other AMV events, you may be helping their workload out A LOT if you take responsibility of one or more panels :)
AMV Contest Coordinator @Anime NYC
Submissions Open! Deadline June 4th 2024!

kitkattasu
Org Profile

Re: AMV Panels

Post by kitkattasu » Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:55 pm

Thanks for the reply!

2/3) I barely spoke at this first panel that I ran I just played vids nonstop but I know and have seen some panels take more of an educational approach. Some allow audience input to choose videos and so I know it varies. I just wonder more what audience members might prefer. Do they want descriptions of each video or to discuss particulars or do they really just want to inhale a full hour of videos? 🤣

4) I ask because I’m not sure about the etiquette! It would certainly be polite to ask every creator but having spent hours finding the vids and organizing and playlisting and crediting. Time wise seeking a way to contact to ask is a LOT more work and what do you do if you ask and get no answer? I feel conflicted as I would hate to upset the creators. I do make sure to play the entire video including their credit portion and I added the extra step of creating a written credits page to add as the final screen for the panel but I don’t want to offend creators!

The final two questions were more outloud thinking again. I am not sure how other cons have done this in the past. If they don’t already have a dedicated space or full weekends worth of AMV related programming is usually someone already on Staff that creates one and finds someone to program it? I feel strongly that it would be well received by the audience for this convention especially due to the response I had but I am also hesitant to contact them and don’t want to be a bother.

Thanks again! ❤️

Return to “General AMV”