Stolen AMVS

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
ngsilver
The Old School Otaku
Org Profile

Re: Stolen AMVS

Post by ngsilver » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:53 pm

I've had many of my videos uploaded to youtube over the years. It's a common practice I've seen of people grabbin videos here on the org and then putting them on youtube. I haven't run into anyone claiming the vids were theirs, but even if I did I wouldn't care much really. We don't exactly own any real rights to the work we do, we steal other people's work and make it our own. Yeah, I agree it's bad form to take shot for shot the same vid from someone and claim it your own without doing anything to make it yours, but I don't get up in arms about it. It's going to happen, and usually the video that's put up is lower quality then the original cuz' good luck stealing the actual project files from the editor.

This has been happening for a long time, as far as I can remember in the world of AMVs. I've seen people submit vids to contents that they blatantly stole. Usually coordinators can pick it out, but sometimes it's hard.
ImageImageImageImage

slimed
Org Profile

Post by slimed » Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:24 pm

ngsilver wrote:We don't exactly own any real rights to the work we do, we steal other people's work and make it our own.
this is my stance. we do the same thing but even on a larger scale. while it is distasteful, i wouldn't personally care so much if someone were to download a video of mine and claim it as their own; it's not as though it would discredit the work i put into it in any way.

but like said above, this is something that has always happened and always will. there isn't much that can be done

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Post by Castor Troy » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:39 pm

i'm ok with people uploading my amvs to YouTube as long as they're unaltered.

Why go through the extra trouble of removing stuff anyways? :aimkissyface:
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Post by Rider4Z » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:25 am

Castor Troy wrote:i'm ok with people uploading my amvs to YouTube as long as they're unaltered.

Why go through the extra trouble of removing stuff anyways? :aimkissyface:
I've never had an issue of anyone claiming my work as their own. For the most part I don't mind other people uploading my stuff, but I CAN'T STAND IT when they pitch the audio. my most viewed video on youtube has over 700,000 views uploaded by somebody else who altered the audio. GAWD that grinds my gears. :evil:

AceD
I AM THE BEST
Org Profile

Post by AceD » Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:32 am

People needed to alter the audio years ago though otherwise it was near impossible to keep some videos up. It sucks but that was the trade off needed. Thankfully youtube is a much easier place nowadays and such things are not needed

Ileia
WHAT IS PINK MAY NEVER DIE!
Org Profile

Post by Ileia » Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:13 am

AceD wrote:Thankfully youtube is a much easier place nowadays and such things are not needed
But some people don't know that and they keep uploading the pitch-shifted videos. :down:

Personally, I never ask anyone to take down a video of mine, but if they're claiming credit, I will post a comment. Usually something sarcastic about how it looks familiar or just a ಠ_ಠ or something. Generally, they figure it out quick and delete it on their own. If it has a lot of views, I just ask them to credit me properly, I don't ask them to delete it. Why should the viewers suffer? It's not like I'm magically going to get those views myself once they delete the video.
:cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake:

AceD
I AM THE BEST
Org Profile

Post by AceD » Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:19 am

Ileia wrote:
AceD wrote:Thankfully youtube is a much easier place nowadays and such things are not needed
But some people don't know that and they keep uploading the pitch-shifted videos. :down:
:uhoh: . I assumed it wouldn't happen any more haha. I only watch my own channel not other peoples so don't notice :bear:

ShodanKid
Org Profile

Post by ShodanKid » Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:03 am

Yeah, I've been stolen too but last I checked that version had 2 views months later. When I check search analytics the people who are looking for mine find it.

Even regards to the common posters that take some of the videos from the org and post them, that's fine and all...but only one channel explicitly asked me first and THAT I appreciate. Since I tend to like to reply to comments it helps me keep track.

BecauseImBored1
Org Profile

Post by BecauseImBored1 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:33 pm

People claim my vids sometimes but what i find more annoying is when they use mine to edit their own lol. Bc it like ruins the intention of the vid. Recently found one from Amerutox that used all the altered scenes and transitions from my gurren lagann vid.

Mine

Amerutox

PrincessMareep
Org Profile

Post by PrincessMareep » Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:21 pm

BecauseImBored1 wrote:People claim my vids sometimes but what i find more annoying is when they use mine to edit their own lol. Bc it like ruins the intention of the vid. Recently found one from Amerutox that used all the altered scenes and transitions from my gurren lagann vid.

Mine

Amerutox
See this the kind of stealing I hate the most. Like why do you have to use someone else's amv to make your own? You could easily go out and download the anime yourself and make your own.

I feel like to me this is the ultimate sin of an editor is stealing someone else's work.
“The flower that blooms in adversity is the rarest and most beautiful of all.” ✿

Return to “General AMV”