Getting back in the saddle

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
DJ_Izumi
Org Profile

Getting back in the saddle

Post by DJ_Izumi » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:20 am

God, I think I did my last AMV in 2007? Since then I've gone to school, then another school, right now I'm sitting at a workstation and killing time while it renders exploding air liners for Discovery Channel... After watching Madoka for the third time (And still sobbing for episodes 10 and 12) I thought to myself 'I think I'd like to do a western style movie trailer focusing on Homura for Madoka'. For once, doing an original trailer using the dub audio, rather than borrowing audio from an existing trailer.

Geez, AMV editing has gotten way easier...

I used to convert chunks of episodes to HuffYUV or Lagarith so they'd play nice in Premiere. I'd never even done a 1080p AMV before and back then the idea of doing an AMV at 1080p seemed daunting in regard to storage and I/O. ...I dropped the elementary h.264 streams ripped from the BluRay into Premiere and... They just worked! D: I work with h.264 footage from cameras and even 16bpc EXR sequences and 14bpc RED footage... Why does h.264 anime footage 'just working' in Premiere amaze me?

Software? Better torrent a version of Premiere that I like... Oh yeah, I have a Creative Cloud subscription till Jan 2015 thanks to school. @_@

How am I ever going to work with 5.1 streams? Oh yeah, 5.1 is no problem for Audition now.

Music? ...Got an account at Sony's production music site. Who wants some 96khz HD Two Steps from Hell? :X

The hardware? The hexcore i7 4930K over clocked to 4.6ghz

Skills? Does visual effects compositing training translate into advanced AMV editing skills? Uhh... Good question, I have no idea. :X

...So let's see if I still actually know how to do this.

DJ_Izumi
Org Profile

Re: Getting back in the saddle

Post by DJ_Izumi » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:22 am

Er, Creative Cloud itll Jan 2016 that is. Hey look, there still isn't an edit button! Some things never change! :D

dreamawake
Prodigal Pen-Throttle
Org Profile

Post by dreamawake » Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:44 pm

Haven't seen your name in ages, welcome back O:

Shui
Shuitcake
Org Profile

Post by Shui » Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:04 pm

Some things never change. Trailers are still boring.
Spoiler :
fucking stealing other poeples hard work and claiming it as your own, you guys should be ashemed

ppl fukin fuk spent years making those animes, blood sweat and spilt coffe stains drawing all day long just to get a title "animator: this GUY" and then those music ppl spend years learning to produce music, teams of so many hard working ppl just trying to get their stuff out there in the world then WHAT TEH FUK DO U GUYS DO? u fukin take the drawings, u fukin take the music, then u just slap it fukin together like its fukin nothing, then u make banners and og take credit for it fukin all like u fukin made shit goin amv contests actin liek ur teh fukin shit fukin sayin i amde this fukin liek if u fukin did fukin makin fukin the fukin fukin fukin fukin - MiyaDV (2014)

seasons
Org Profile

Post by seasons » Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:41 pm

DJ_Izumi wrote:Er, Creative Cloud itll Jan 2016 that is. Hey look, there still isn't an edit button! Some things never change! :D
Saw this at the college bookstore and was sort of interested (would like to upgrade from CS4 at some point), but it's a subscription that expires after a year or two? I think I'll pass.

DJ_Izumi
Org Profile

Post by DJ_Izumi » Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:49 pm

seasons wrote:
DJ_Izumi wrote:Er, Creative Cloud itll Jan 2016 that is. Hey look, there still isn't an edit button! Some things never change! :D
Saw this at the college bookstore and was sort of interested (would like to upgrade from CS4 at some point), but it's a subscription that expires after a year or two? I think I'll pass.
Well, firstly, mine so far has been free. I went to two schools, a two year program and then a one year program, the first school's free software credentials stayed good after I graduated and I was able to get my first 12 months of Creative Cloud. Soon after I graduated my second school they FINALLY got their Creative Cloud deal from Adobe and that appeared to stack. So I'm good with Creative Cloud unpaid till Jan 2016. I also got free copies of CS5.5 and CS6 Master Editions while at school. (And 2 Win7Ultimate keys, 2 Win7Pro keys, and 2 Win8.1Pro keys...)

And all I had to do was give them $30 000 in tuition! :D

Ontop of that, really, considerations the cost of CS6 master edition, vs the subscription which seems to get yearly updates and entitles you to those updates it's not a bad prices if you considder that you'll get frequent updates to the software and never worry that you were going out of date.

Replay Studios
A Studio Within A Studio
Org Profile

Post by Replay Studios » Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:34 am

Welcome back ^^

Mol
Strawberry Pie
Org Profile

Post by Mol » Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:14 am

I wish there was editing program using mind control so wouldn't have click so much :dino:
Thought i find it harder to find any music that i would want to edit rather than editing itself these days :rofl:

I feel like that tuition is kinda high for something which you can find most of in google/yt :uhoh: Do they teach how to be creative? :dino:
Still better than that MMO.

DJ_Izumi
Org Profile

Post by DJ_Izumi » Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:43 am

M'o'l wrote:I feel like that tuition is kinda high for something which you can find most of in google/yt :uhoh: Do they teach how to be creative? :dino:
There's actually a lot that you CAN'T learn easily by looking at online tutorials. The biggest thing would be actual equipment experience. The first school I went to had a mixed focus on 'film/documentary', studio broadcasting, and live broadcasting. Simply put, the school had a small multicamera live broadcasting news studio. I'm talking about the big 18 monitor wall control room kinda stuff. (Though in my opinion, broadcast news is an unemployment factory). The live broadcasting, which I had no interest in, but is totally growing (I mean shit, we broadcast POKER now. Do you know how many hours of the Olympics we broadcast vs just 10-15 years ago?) And the school had the whole 'air pack', basically a broadcasting studio that you could fit in modular chunks into a large uHaul.

The post grad school I went to was a bigger deal. The school had entire professional lighting setups, RED MX Cameras, time code slates, mics, mixers, HD Audio recorders, and literally everything you'd need on a filmset (Though a bit older, more the hardware you'd see circa 2008 or so, but it's a SCHOOL). Entire AVID Nitrus turn key systems. My compositing professor worked in things like Resident Evil, Flash Point, Boardwalk Empire and other stuff. The school also didn't teach things like After Effects which is rather low level, it taught Nuke. You'll find not NEARLY as many tutorials online for Nuke. Even less is what I use at work, Fusion. Both Nuke and Fusion are node based compositing programs and admittedly scary powerful. Our workstations at school were just about demonic, HP visual effects work stations running DUAL 8-Core Intel E5 processors. 16 cores... Even the machines I work with for a paycheque aren't that stupidly powerful. I did sound editing on a 24 channel mixer powered in a 5.1 surround suite.

We did entire short films with budgets in the range of about $5000, using an entire uHaul of gear, expensive gear. The lenses for the RED were like $5000 replacement cost all on their own.

You can learn a good bit about EDITING online, in fact my history in AMV's left me with a leg up in editing and understanding video codecs and I could remember numbers like '23.976' without even trying. But when it came to dealing cameras, audio, actually working on set, working with the workflow in Shotgun when multiple people are working on multiple shots for the same visual effects project... There's a LOT I didn't know. And it's a lot of experience on the kind of hardware that the semi-professionals shooting on DSLRs and doing YouTube tutorials couldn't afford.

If I hadn't gone to school like I did, I wouldn't be doing the paid industry job I'm doing now.

Mol
Strawberry Pie
Org Profile

Post by Mol » Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:41 am

Yeah, pre-production kinda went over my head :bear: . Out of all of that i only got try some avid programs, and nuke- pretty interesting alternative for ae.
I'm now mostly curious about your road to hire- school obviously helped, but contacts, or what decided? School? Sending your cv to disney ?:dino:
Think i would give a editing school a shot if decent ones weren't so far away :uhoh: , now i feel too old :sorcerer:
Still better than that MMO.

Return to “General AMV”