Should I watch the others to be unique, or-?

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
pinky75910
Org Profile

Should I watch the others to be unique, or-?

Post by pinky75910 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:19 am

Couple years ago I started a video.
I had seen a couple similar videos using the same anime and series, and thought, "Nah, I wanna do something different."
Plus, it's sorta the final note in a trilogy of vids, so I gots to do it.
I plan on mostly focusing on a different season of the anime than the other vids.

Halfway through a couple years ago I realized I had to rewatch the whole season to scout for particular scenes, and temporarily abandoned it.

Recently felt the need to complete it.

My question is:

To ensure my vid is unique: Should I see what everyone else has done and actively avoid doing that- or-
Avoid watching other vids and do things the way I intend, anyone else be darned?
Making an amv, is rather like being the director of a Broadway show, where you have a million dancers and each of them only knows one step.

http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members ... hp?v=50239

Shui
Shuitcake
Org Profile

Re: Should I watch the others to be unique, or-?

Post by Shui » Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:38 am

Do what you like, ignore all the others.
Spoiler :
fucking stealing other poeples hard work and claiming it as your own, you guys should be ashemed

ppl fukin fuk spent years making those animes, blood sweat and spilt coffe stains drawing all day long just to get a title "animator: this GUY" and then those music ppl spend years learning to produce music, teams of so many hard working ppl just trying to get their stuff out there in the world then WHAT TEH FUK DO U GUYS DO? u fukin take the drawings, u fukin take the music, then u just slap it fukin together like its fukin nothing, then u make banners and og take credit for it fukin all like u fukin made shit goin amv contests actin liek ur teh fukin shit fukin sayin i amde this fukin liek if u fukin did fukin makin fukin the fukin fukin fukin fukin - MiyaDV (2014)

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:39 am

Are you saying your video lacks a concept and is fully defined by the anime and music you're using? That it has no thought or motivation beyond those things that make it truely yours? If that's not what you're saying, then it doesn't matter what other people did - you're already making something unique.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

Sephirothskr
One Winged Angel
Org Profile

Post by Sephirothskr » Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:20 am

pinky75910 wrote:Couple years ago I started a video.
I had seen a couple similar videos using the same anime and series, and thought, "Nah, I wanna do something different."
Plus, it's sorta the final note in a trilogy of vids, so I gots to do it.
I plan on mostly focusing on a different season of the anime than the other vids.

Halfway through a couple years ago I realized I had to rewatch the whole season to scout for particular scenes, and temporarily abandoned it.

Recently felt the need to complete it.

My question is:

To ensure my vid is unique: Should I see what everyone else has done and actively avoid doing that- or-
Avoid watching other vids and do things the way I intend, anyone else be darned?

Others are good for inspiration, but let's face it. You don't need to see what other people have made to do it. For example. I really want to make a video using the song 'break' by three days grace.. has it been done before? I guarantee that it has, but that's not going to stop me from making it amazing. :) Follow your gut, don't watch other people who might've done same thing, wait til after you finish, then compare ideas.

CrackTheSky
has trust issues
Org Profile

Post by CrackTheSky » Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:20 pm

Allow me to offer a counterpoint to the ones that have already been made. I think you should watch as many videos as you can, both similar to what you want to do and otherwise. You never know where inspiration might come from. For myself, watching and studying other people's videos is what pushes me to want to create at all. As far as uniqueness, I'll be blunt: Unless you are super creative, talented, and/or patient, your video is probably not going to be all that unique. There are very few things out there that haven't been done in this hobby that are within reach of the average editor.

pinky75910
Org Profile

Post by pinky75910 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:28 am

*same anime and sound

I just don't want to use the same scenes in the same spots as the others if I can avoid it, hopefully I can do that.

Thanks for all replies.

I think I'll plug on through, then check out the other vids before publishing.
Making an amv, is rather like being the director of a Broadway show, where you have a million dancers and each of them only knows one step.

http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members ... hp?v=50239

Shui
Shuitcake
Org Profile

Post by Shui » Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:51 pm

I wouldn't do an amv which has the same song and anime combo as something existing. Only if I'd think I would do something totally different and make it better too.
Spoiler :
fucking stealing other poeples hard work and claiming it as your own, you guys should be ashemed

ppl fukin fuk spent years making those animes, blood sweat and spilt coffe stains drawing all day long just to get a title "animator: this GUY" and then those music ppl spend years learning to produce music, teams of so many hard working ppl just trying to get their stuff out there in the world then WHAT TEH FUK DO U GUYS DO? u fukin take the drawings, u fukin take the music, then u just slap it fukin together like its fukin nothing, then u make banners and og take credit for it fukin all like u fukin made shit goin amv contests actin liek ur teh fukin shit fukin sayin i amde this fukin liek if u fukin did fukin makin fukin the fukin fukin fukin fukin - MiyaDV (2014)

Return to “General AMV”