The AMV Documentary

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
Douggie
CHEESECAKE!
Org Profile

Re: The AMV Documentary

Post by Douggie » Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:46 am

Get a a Kickstarter started to get some costs of travelling out of it.
Shui wrote:I made a presentation about the History & Evolution of AMVs once. For this I learned a lot from other source already on the Web, and disappointingly found only stuff about American editors. (yeah it originated there but there are many editors also in Europe which have influenced the scene as a whole) So I tracked some of those European editors down, most notably the early German editors and Russians and asked them questions per Email. AboluteDestiny was an invaluable source too.

This thing you're doing goes into a similar direction though it looks like you focus more on editors than single AMVs. I would love to know what exactly you plan to portray in this documentary.
So I'll be deciding if I want to support that when the script is done.

I've got a 7D, experience with party Videos. none with Interviews but I'd like to give it a shot. Also Audio isn't a Problem for me since that's been a Hobby of mine for years.

I guess I could most definitely haunt down ze Germans, maybe the French. I've met people from Eastern Countries too - Polish editors and Czech ones. It might be stretch buKickstarterhow to get to them.
Maybe Nya herself would be interested, dunno.
What about Dutch editors? ;)

Shui
Shuitcake
Org Profile

Post by Shui » Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:14 am

Douggie wrote:
What about Dutch editors? ;)
Insignificant :ying:

jk. I don't really know any apart from you, Nio and Kagacie, ofcourse I'd love to come to Amsterdam again in order to make an interview!
and :beer: :pizza: |:>

Also the Italians, I'm sure mirko could help me out :D mebbe it's possible to hit up Darsch or Okami.

People kickstart me so I can interview obsolete AMV editors all over Europe? :uhoh: can't see that happening - even if the costs aren't too high.
I plan to go to Japan Expo sometime anyways, and meet the germans at connichi. So these will be easy. Italy and Dutchland also is easy. Hell even Poland or Zcheck.
I don't know many russians though, dunno if EvilSpider would be chill and how much the travel would cost. :shrug:

Let's not forget about the British :asd: going to London isn't too expensive either.
Spoiler :
fucking stealing other poeples hard work and claiming it as your own, you guys should be ashemed

ppl fukin fuk spent years making those animes, blood sweat and spilt coffe stains drawing all day long just to get a title "animator: this GUY" and then those music ppl spend years learning to produce music, teams of so many hard working ppl just trying to get their stuff out there in the world then WHAT TEH FUK DO U GUYS DO? u fukin take the drawings, u fukin take the music, then u just slap it fukin together like its fukin nothing, then u make banners and og take credit for it fukin all like u fukin made shit goin amv contests actin liek ur teh fukin shit fukin sayin i amde this fukin liek if u fukin did fukin makin fukin the fukin fukin fukin fukin - MiyaDV (2014)

Radical_Yue
Org Profile

Post by Radical_Yue » Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:15 am

I like Brad's idea but I also like the original idea Chris came up with.
Giving the documentary a focus like what Brad talked about is very appealing. I'm familiar with the movie he referenced while talking about it and I will say it was a good watch. Of course, if the subjects you choose to follow aren't interesting enough to carry almost 1/3 of a movie then you'll run into problems. And with so many unique editors out there it would be a bit difficult to select only a few subjects. On the topic of the movie itself, while I enjoyed it overall I actually found myself biasing against some of the games that were featured because I either just didn't like their creators or lost respect for them as the movie went on. Was it an interesting look into the industry and some of the people behind it? Very much so. However, watching some of these people that were chosen as subjects actually made me want to distance myself a bit from it. The way they behaved and some of their thought processes made me actually feel a bit ashamed to call myself a "gamer." This is a possible risk associated with giving a documentary like this such an intense focus.

However, based on the way Chris describes his current vision of the documentary it actually feels lacking major focus. Obviously without a proper script in order that is going to happen but I think you need a balance of "character" focus and open questioning.
While you're questioning the editors I imagine you'll be seeing certain subjects pop up while they discuss either how they got into it, what they enjoy about it, etc. Subjects such as contests (online/convention), Iron Editor, Non-US influence in AMVs, etc. I would prepare a list of these types of things that I would consider major in the hobby, decide on the best people to follow around for them, and then do just that. Concentrate small but longer sections on these certain aspects of the hobby and by following people around, give the audience something more to hook into and identify with than an incredibly large collection of editors just answering questions.
Because while getting as many editors and opinions in there as possible is a really cool goal, you need at least a couple people that the audience can "like", if you get what I mean. Hearing a ton of people talk about Iron Editor is fun and all, but following two editors before they face off, capturing the before, after, and all that they go through and feel would be a great experience for those that don't know what it's about.

I'm with Douggie and agree that you should do a Kickstarter or something along the lines to cover travel. Figure out the basic script and flow of the video, pick certain subjects to follow, and travel to cons.
If it was me, I would personally go in this order....

The rise of Kazaa/Limewire - Basic discussion about how AMVs first started spreading online.
AMV Contests (Convention) - Quite a few people had their first experience with AMVs from randomly wandering into the AMV contest at their local convention and decided they wanted to do it for themselves.
The Creation of the Org - People are discovering videos online and off, now a place for them all to congregate has been created.
AMV Panels/Iron Editor - The hobby has been given legs, people are finding others that are like them and now they're trying to drum up activity and gain additional attention.
European Influence - I would actually want to travel to Europe for this one. I would either hit up Japan Expo as the largest con or Connichi as the one with the largest amount of editors in attendance (possibly both). See if you can arrange some interviews with international editors to talk about some of the heavy hitters that really influenced the hobby. (AbsoluteDestiny, Tyler, Nostromo, etc.) I imagine that a large amount of the doc will be about US/Canadian editors so being able to capture at least part of what the European community has helped set in motion would not only be a great way to talk about how trends/styles changed and evolved based on popular editors, but it would help give the viewers a better idea of just how far this hobby has spread.
Online Contests/Growing Online Communities - With the hobby growing, spreading to different countries through Youtube, AMVNews, The Org, and more, online contests such as Big Contest, Akross, and even the little ones we run on the Org have become great ways for editors to meet, make some badass videos, and build friendships. The current online contests/other online communities are huge parts of what make the hobby what it is today. It would be a missed opportunity to not acknowledge the amazing videos and editors that have become well known thanks to these resources.
Finally, the editors - All of the previous topics really come down to this since at it's heart, AMVs are really about the community. This would allow you to go back to all the previous sections of the doc and give them a proper ending by showing what this is all about. The online friends meeting up, the finalists of contests congratulating each other on wins, the Iron Editors having drinks together after a stressful event, the glorious dancing of JCD, and all the rest. Tie up all the stories with a neat little bow and give it a happy ending.

And of course, let me know if you need anything :P I KNOW EVERYONE.

Shui
Shuitcake
Org Profile

Post by Shui » Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:54 am

I'd start with the start of AMVs and it's place back in mid 1980s. You know Tape-editing, distribution at cons.
Spoiler :
fucking stealing other poeples hard work and claiming it as your own, you guys should be ashemed

ppl fukin fuk spent years making those animes, blood sweat and spilt coffe stains drawing all day long just to get a title "animator: this GUY" and then those music ppl spend years learning to produce music, teams of so many hard working ppl just trying to get their stuff out there in the world then WHAT TEH FUK DO U GUYS DO? u fukin take the drawings, u fukin take the music, then u just slap it fukin together like its fukin nothing, then u make banners and og take credit for it fukin all like u fukin made shit goin amv contests actin liek ur teh fukin shit fukin sayin i amde this fukin liek if u fukin did fukin makin fukin the fukin fukin fukin fukin - MiyaDV (2014)

ngsilver
The Old School Otaku
Org Profile

Post by ngsilver » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:12 pm

I managed to record all of the award ceremony (minus the videos themselves). Lighting wasn't great for filming but I think the footage turned out ok. It's also hand held but I think I've worked out a pretty good technique for holding my camera that almost makes it look like I use a harness. If you want any of the footage I captured I can get it to you. I'd love to help out with this as much as I can. I'm almost finished acquiring all the equipment I need to do interviews myself (I need a sound board to plug my lapel mics into since my camera doesn't provide enough power) for a project I'm working on for Youmacon and my own Youtube channel.
ImageImageImageImage

SailorDeath
Org Profile

Post by SailorDeath » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:14 pm

I'd love to get involved with this too. I've been around amvs for about 19 years, dating back to when I first saw Maboroshi's videos on some Escaflowne fansubs. Back then I did short videos on VHS (around 1996) but those have been lost. I first started digitally editing (and calling myself a creator) in 1998. Before the org I used to host all my videos myself on my website. Lost my hosting around the time the org went live and I've been here ever since.
Gimme a minute, I'll make a cool one....

MaboroshiStudio
Org Profile

Post by MaboroshiStudio » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:27 pm

SailorDeath wrote:I'd love to get involved with this too. I've been around amvs for about 19 years, dating back to when I first saw Maboroshi's videos on some Escaflowne fansubs. Back then I did short videos on VHS (around 1996) but those have been lost. I first started digitally editing (and calling myself a creator) in 1998. Before the org I used to host all my videos myself on my website. Lost my hosting around the time the org went live and I've been here ever since.
those weren't fansubs... they were bootlegs from Hecto / Shinsen Gumi which they sold for profit
Reports of my death were greatly exaggerated...

www.maboroshistudio.com
YouTube Channel

MaboroshiStudio
Org Profile

Post by MaboroshiStudio » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:31 pm

If this happens we have to find Kevin... I would love to have a segment with him lol and call campfire tall tale time with Kevin and Joe
Reports of my death were greatly exaggerated...

www.maboroshistudio.com
YouTube Channel

Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view
Org Profile

Post by Nya-chan Production » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:44 pm

I would be interested, but... dunno, the local community is probably too small and closed...

SailorDeath
Org Profile

Post by SailorDeath » Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:01 pm

MaboroshiStudio wrote:
SailorDeath wrote:I'd love to get involved with this too. I've been around amvs for about 19 years, dating back to when I first saw Maboroshi's videos on some Escaflowne fansubs. Back then I did short videos on VHS (around 1996) but those have been lost. I first started digitally editing (and calling myself a creator) in 1998. Before the org I used to host all my videos myself on my website. Lost my hosting around the time the org went live and I've been here ever since.
those weren't fansubs... they were bootlegs from Hecto / Shinsen Gumi which they sold for profit

Interesting cause the guy I got em from was selling them at cost for VHS (something like $3.00 a tape) Gone are those days though. VHS fansubs died the same time painted cels did.
Gimme a minute, I'll make a cool one....

Return to “General AMV”