has competition hurt this hobby?

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
CrackTheSky
has trust issues
Org Profile

Re: has competition hurt this hobby?

Post by CrackTheSky » Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:02 pm

seasons wrote:I don't want to see this place go under so no, I'm not rushing to do away with contests or shut down anything going on here that people are enjoying. I'm just curious about why competition is so much more exciting (apparently) than whatever it was that used to inspire most people here to make 99% of all the stuff that's currently hosted on the Org servers.
I'm just wondering if your perception on this particular matter is being influenced by the fact that there's so much less noise around here than there used to be. It's entirely possible that the vocal .org members (since you seem to be focusing on the .org community with this topic) are also the ones who tend to enter contests, and discuss contests, and participate in competitive editing. I do agree that it seems like contests and competition are discussed more than they used to be, but there's also about 10% of the discussion here than there was even a few years ago.

I don't know for sure, all I know is that when I signed up for the .org eight years ago, there was a lot of discussion and hype around contests and there was definitely a feeling of awe with certain contests. Akross was a perfect example; I remember being so enamored at the time of certain Akross videos and getting it into my head that that was the ultimate goal for me -- to one day be good enough to compete in Akross (a goal that I've since ceased chasing because, well, that's a stupid goal).

All this is to say that a "competitive mentality" is not something new, it's ingrained into AMV culture because it's been around since before AMVs became popular and accessible. Contests are how some of the first popular and influential videos became popular. It's entirely possible that this would have remained an even-more-niche-than-it-already-is hobby if contests didn't happen back in the '90s and early 2000s.

(I realize that last paragraph can come across like I'm assuming you're demonizing all contests, which I know isn't the case; just trying to highlight that AMVs and AMV contests have always gone hand-in-hand, at least as far back as it matters for this discussion).
seasons wrote:And I'm curious about what that means for how editors (here, on Youtube, at conventions, in all the overlaps in between those zones and in any others that I'm not aware of) approach their work and how they think they need to edit in order to connect with an audience. And, on the other side of the coin, how audience expectations have changed as a result of the competitive atmosphere that's overtaken the hobby.
This is a valid question, however, and I'd be curious to know the answer. I don't think that contests have been the main influence on the style of editing that seems to be dominant today, but it'd be stupid to deny that competition can heavily impact the choices an editor makes when making a video, and I'm sure the same could be said from the audience's side -- what do they expect in a contest setting vs. sitting at home on their computer? This same question could be applied to any artistic pursuit that acquires a competitive element. I don't have any answers (at least none founded on anything more than my opinions and observations), but it's a fascinating question.
seasons wrote:Contests definitely seem to be the best way to reach an audience. So will the typical AMV viewer (I have no idea who this is or if they're even on the Org or not) not bother to look for AMVs anywhere else? Do people even "look" for AMVs anymore at all, or do they just watch contests and AMVs that their friends make?
You should make another thread on this, I think it'd be interesting to hear what others have to say because I want to know this myself.
seasons wrote:What it boils down to for me is that everyone's always felt a need to be validated by their peers but as time goes on in this hobby, that's gotten more and more important than ever, to the point where contest success/failure is getting treated like some kind of objective measure of how good an editor is and what they "need to work on" in order to be accepted (or at least feel like they are). This inevitably is going to have an effect on editors' motivations -- which I only care about when it leads to people getting prematurely disillusioned/bored for all the wrong reasons -- and the originality and spirit in their work.
That's the danger of mixing an artistic (or "creative" might be a better term to avoid the whole "Are AMVs art?" argument) hobby with competition. Competition necessarily involves some sort of objective yardstick, or at least the appearance of one, otherwise how could anything be judged? There would be no basis for a competition otherwise. People should know that if you're going to enter a creative work into a contest, there are standards that work will need to live up to. Each contest might have different standards depending on how it's being judged, but it just seems self-evident to me that you can't enter a contest without that expectation.

Thing is, this isn't going to change. So long as there are AMV contests and people to enter them, those who enter will be determining some measure of their worth as an editor based on the results of those contests. How this affects their output will most likely vary from editor to editor. But again...nothing new here, this has always been the case, and it's hardly exclusive to AMVs. Don't most people judge their own work based on that of others? Aren't we as editors all influenced by what other people have made? Is it possible that nothing is different now than it was 10 years ago, and that the trend you're observing in the way modern videos are edited is just that -- a trend -- and you just happen to not like that trend?

CrackTheSky
has trust issues
Org Profile

Post by CrackTheSky » Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:15 pm

TritioAFB wrote:Lately I'm wondering what's the purpose of editing nowadays.

I remember when the purpose was the fun of editing and enjoying the works without anything else.
Are you talking about in general or for yourself? If it's for yourself, that's a decision you make, and you just need to get back to that point where you're editing out of sheer enjoyment, wherever that enjoyment might come from.

If you're talking about in general, you're going to have to qualify that with an example of when there was ever a standard "purpose" for which people supposedly edited.

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Post by Castor Troy » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:22 pm

I wanna be... the very best... like no one ever was!
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:08 pm

to catch them is my real test... to train them is my cause!!

Shui
Shuitcake
Org Profile

Post by Shui » Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:38 am

I will travel across the net... searching far and wide!
Spoiler :
fucking stealing other poeples hard work and claiming it as your own, you guys should be ashemed

ppl fukin fuk spent years making those animes, blood sweat and spilt coffe stains drawing all day long just to get a title "animator: this GUY" and then those music ppl spend years learning to produce music, teams of so many hard working ppl just trying to get their stuff out there in the world then WHAT TEH FUK DO U GUYS DO? u fukin take the drawings, u fukin take the music, then u just slap it fukin together like its fukin nothing, then u make banners and og take credit for it fukin all like u fukin made shit goin amv contests actin liek ur teh fukin shit fukin sayin i amde this fukin liek if u fukin did fukin makin fukin the fukin fukin fukin fukin - MiyaDV (2014)

dreamawake
Prodigal Pen-Throttle
Org Profile

Post by dreamawake » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:55 pm

Competition is, has been, and always will be a part of this hobby. It's not the competition, but how seriously people take both this hobby AND themselves that is to blame as far as I'm concerned. We're all just trying to make cool shit, which is why I liked that idea when Brad bought it up and made that makecoolshit thread. Combine that with the fact that a lot of people, as is the case in many other communities, haven't evolved civility to a level high enough to just be excellent to each other (WYLD STALLIONS!!!!). Wanting desperately to impress rather than just being yourself and talking to people without ulterior motive than to actually get to know them. You could win every contest the org holds and every con everywhere, that still doesn't make you editor ranking #1, because all of this shit is in the eye of the beholder and people are always going to have different opinions on different videos for different reasons. Don't know if this answers the question this thread asks well or not, only skimmed it. That's pretty much just how I feel about the community in general at this point though, and my views on competition in it.

Stay classy, kids. :sorcerer:

dreamawake
Prodigal Pen-Throttle
Org Profile

Post by dreamawake » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:57 pm

In any case I'll assume Crack said everything that I was thinking in a probably more coherent manor and leave it at that.

Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:00 pm

I think that it has hurt the hobby. I think competition has fueled many unnecessary and unhealthy rivalries within the community as well as desire to "collect them all" as far as awards are concerned. In the past we used to compete and then say "good job!" to winners. I see a lot of "uhg, that video won?!" more than I'd like. If that mentality is a direct result of the competition of the hobby, yea, I think it's been hurt by it.

That said, there is such a thing as healthy rivalry and competition has been a major factor in increasing the fanbase/editorbase of the hobby as well. I don't edit to compete but there is a bit of thrill of going up against other good editors and having an audience of fans pick what they think is the best (or their favorite).

slimed
Org Profile

Post by slimed » Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:42 pm

Pwolf wrote:
x2

both competition and contests are great - what isn't great is the negative energy that follows, which i see more frequently than before in this community. such as editors getting seriously heated over contest results that they disagree with, or actually having personal gripes with others over competition. as much as i enjoy this hobby i still recognize how petty it is, and seeing editors get angry over amv contests makes me cringe a bit. and sure, it would be nice to see videos derived from a more organic means of inspiration/purpose than simply wanting to win or wanting attention, but as long as it is kept civil and good videos are produced i really don't care who edits for what.

Return to “General AMV”