So what's really important?

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
macchinainterna
Org Profile

Re: So what's really important?

Post by macchinainterna » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:58 am

CrackTheSky wrote:
CastielTheFallen wrote:
seasons wrote:Would you be happy with your AMVs even if there was no way to share them with anyone else?

Have you ever had the experience of putting up an announcement thread and watching it fall off the front page without a single reply?
Yep.

In the end, if you don't do this shit for yourself, then why even bother doing it? Criticism and discussion is always cool, but at the end of the day you have to be content with the content (BOOM!) you are putting out. Then, if other people dig it, it's all gravey on your already delicious mashed potatoes. :aimkissyface:
Are you saying you just do it for yourself? Because if that's true, then why release it to the public at all?
This is a valid point. I know I thought about this when I was working on Veneration. Originally I had no intention of releasing it publicly, and yet I did. I knew it would be largely ignored in the community and by my own subscribers because it had no relation to their personal interests, but I didn't make it for them, I made it for myself. Again, for me it comes down to self-expression. Whether it's accepted by people or not, I think we put our work out there because it's a part of who we are, and it is a creative expression of our own identity. Maybe not intentionally, but rather subconsciously? I honestly don't know. That question's a little too deep for me this early in the morning.

dreamawake
Prodigal Pen-Throttle
Org Profile

Post by dreamawake » Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:17 pm

CrackTheSky wrote:
CastielTheFallen wrote:
seasons wrote:Would you be happy with your AMVs even if there was no way to share them with anyone else?

Have you ever had the experience of putting up an announcement thread and watching it fall off the front page without a single reply?
Yep.

In the end, if you don't do this shit for yourself, then why even bother doing it? Criticism and discussion is always cool, but at the end of the day you have to be content with the content (BOOM!) you are putting out. Then, if other people dig it, it's all gravey on your already delicious mashed potatoes. :aimkissyface:
Are you saying you just do it for yourself? Because if that's true, then why release it to the public at all?
I'm saying I do it for myself first, everything else is secondary. :P

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:56 pm

I make videos to have fun and also to make people have a feel. Good comments would be nice too.

Tenshigami
Org Profile

Post by Tenshigami » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:27 pm

After my last AMV, I'd have to say it's that outlet for self-expression that's important to me. I made my latest video in response to events in the past year of my life and the unending support of a group of friends during that time, and even if no one else ever sees it, the AMV means a great deal to me and that group of friends because of that fact.

Chiikaboom
memes
Org Profile

Post by Chiikaboom » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:32 pm

Theres no actual internet "fame" that comes with making popular amvs, trust me. The videos themselves can be popular, but you as a person will not. While I technically have a lot of followers, they're there for the anime, music, and videos of course. 90% of them don't particularly give a crap about you as a person. Which is 100% fine, don't get me wrong. I just wanted to mention that in case anyone actually started editing to become an internet celeb or something, cause you're shit out of luck. Take it from someone who has had AMVs go viral many times :bear:

I edit cause I'm a weeb. I'm into fandoms and such, and AMVs are one of the many outlets for expressing my inner weeb. And I like to share it with other weebs. Though it doesn't hurt to be experimental every once and a while. :up:
Image ImageImage

Ileia
WHAT IS PINK MAY NEVER DIE!
Org Profile

Post by Ileia » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:55 pm

To the question of, "If you make these for yourself, why share them at all?" Well, if you like something, whether it's music, TV, games, etc...do you introduce other people to it? Do you want to share what you like with them? Would you still like it if they didn't? It's different, of course, for something that you yourself made, but the concept for AMVs is fundamentally the same. If you like it, you generally want to share it with others.
:cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake:

ZephyrStar
Master of Science
Org Profile

Post by ZephyrStar » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:51 pm

I also make AMVs because I'm a weeb. When people make things based on a fandom or something they love, it really shows in their work. And you want to show other people in that fandom this amazing thing you made, because you want them to enjoy it as much as you do.

Take it from someone else who has a bazillion youtube views and subscribers and all that stuff due to the Anthology series. People often think I made the whole thing, when that's not true at all, we just host it on my youtube channel. Most of the messages I get aren't people praising the editors, but asking if they can join, or if they can link to my channel, or if they can share the videos. They don't care what I think, they just want more Anthology.

That's a big reason why I want to make my own original stuff, I want to be known for my own ideas and work. I want people to be able to see the images in my head, and enjoy them as much as I did when I wrote/created them. I know when I post my original work on my youtube channel, everyone will go "hey, what the hell, where are the ponies?" and I will probably lose most of my subscribers since they don't want to see some guy's original work. Couldn't care less. At least a few will probably stick around because they will also like my original stuff. I'm just kinda sick of making derivative work at this point, and after watching the success of things like RWYB, I really gotta get my own stuff out there.

That's not to say I won't edit AMVs or Anthology or other things, I'll NEVER "retire" from making AMVs. If anything, I'm more motivated these days than I have been in awhile. Finished a vid for Pro this year, was in Quickening as well. Didn't win anything, didn't really expect to, but feel like a boss because I made a couple of things, and they're exactly what I wanted to do, so I can't ask for anything better.

During one of the random Pro showings at AWA, my video was playing, and I was sitting next to Fall_Child42. He says "man, this is a good video." I says, "why, thank you!" So he says, "oh shit, you made this?" :awesome: :awesome: :awesome:

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Post by Kireblue » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:44 pm

Chiikaboom wrote:Theres no actual internet "fame" that comes with making popular amvs, trust me. The videos themselves can be popular, but you as a person will not. While I technically have a lot of followers, they're there for the anime, music, and videos of course. 90% of them don't particularly give a crap about you as a person. Which is 100% fine, don't get me wrong. I just wanted to mention that in case anyone actually started editing to become an internet celeb or something, cause you're shit out of luck. Take it from someone who has had AMVs go viral many times :bear:

I edit cause I'm a weeb. I'm into fandoms and such, and AMVs are one of the many outlets for expressing my inner weeb. And I like to share it with other weebs. Though it doesn't hurt to be experimental every once and a while. :up:
Since you're arguably one of the most famous and well known editors of all time, I must say that its very interesting to hear even you say that. I actually clearly remember the day that you uploaded your Bellicose AMV to youtube. The moment I saw it was the moment that I decided that I would become serious about editing and have been pushing myself to improve ever since that day. *Just wanted to say that*

But back to the point, I edit AMVs because I love creating new things. Each of my AMVs almost feel like a new invention to me. I make them because I want to bring my ideas to life, and I share them because I want to see if they work. I often make AMVs to generate a specific response from the viewer, and so I'm always eager to see if my invention succeeds. So whenever I get a comment like "this AMV made me cry" or "This AMV made me smile" or even when people are able to understand my stories, I see it as a successful experiment. Also, who doesn't like getting awards for their creations (whether it be a AMV Contest, Science Fair, or Poetry contest). I think that everyone at least WANTS recognition for their work (even if the lack of recognition wouldn't be enough to deter them).

Shui
Shuitcake
Org Profile

Post by Shui » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:36 am

Chiikaboom wrote:Theres no actual internet "fame" that comes with making popular amvs
There is between editors. But yeah that circle isn't nearly as big as other famous youtubers get.
Spoiler :
fucking stealing other poeples hard work and claiming it as your own, you guys should be ashemed

ppl fukin fuk spent years making those animes, blood sweat and spilt coffe stains drawing all day long just to get a title "animator: this GUY" and then those music ppl spend years learning to produce music, teams of so many hard working ppl just trying to get their stuff out there in the world then WHAT TEH FUK DO U GUYS DO? u fukin take the drawings, u fukin take the music, then u just slap it fukin together like its fukin nothing, then u make banners and og take credit for it fukin all like u fukin made shit goin amv contests actin liek ur teh fukin shit fukin sayin i amde this fukin liek if u fukin did fukin makin fukin the fukin fukin fukin fukin - MiyaDV (2014)

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:40 am

I'm sorry but even then you wouldn't be able to point out someone in a crowd just based off of their amvs. The fame isn't the same when I know someone by their amvs and not what they look/sound like.

Sure an editor can be pointed out by someone who knows, or you could stalk the self photos thread (or maybe facebook?) to find out what a person looks like, but it isn't the same type of fame that vloggers and other internet famous get. An editor who goes to a convention isn't going to get mobbed because they aren't personally famous, their amvs are famous.

Honestly, I kind of like it better that way, because I'm not too huge on crowds mobbing me. Though the one time someone gave me a can of Tuna at AWA was really sweet. :)

Return to “General AMV”