So what's really important?

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
Sephirothskr
One Winged Angel
Org Profile

So what's really important?

Post by Sephirothskr » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:01 pm

Just a thought I had after seeing bunch of threads lately regarding AMV's. What's really important? Getting the views? trying to be famous? Impressing the community?

Well, for me it's the satisfaction of purely saying "Wow. I made that." and being proud of what it is you made. Sometimes, we get so lost in competing with others, or trying to get views that we lose focus of why we made it to begin with. (Unless it was explicitly made for a competition.) I just think that the whole competitive side of it gets a bit ridiculous sometimes. Not saying it's a sin to be enter competitions and stuff. I mean, I do it. Most of us do. But I'm saying I just don't think AMV's should be glorified as that being the only reason for making them. Another thing for me is, I get an emotional release from making a video. If you pay attention to a lot of the stuff I'll make, you'll notice that I tend to go, happy song, sad song. Happy song, sad song. Funny video, sad. It just helps me cope with whatever's going on I suppose. I just am curious to know from the community, from you, what do amv's mean to you and why do you make them? Thanks. :)

seasons
Org Profile

Re: So what's really important?

Post by seasons » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:01 pm

Would you be happy with your AMVs even if there was no way to share them with anyone else?

Have you ever had the experience of putting up an announcement thread and watching it fall off the front page without a single reply?

A lot of people say that they're in it for themselves and their own satisfaction and nothing else but more often than not, they're racking up lots of views with no shortage of publicly viewable comments/feedback.

I'm not saying that you're lying, I don't know you and you seem like a sincere person judging from how you usually post around here. I'm just curious how often you find yourself wanting that validation from others. And by "validation" I don't mean awards and shit. Just friendly comments or at least some kind of evidence that people are actually watching your stuff.

Sephirothskr
One Winged Angel
Org Profile

Post by Sephirothskr » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:16 pm

I'm not saying that I don't. Of course everyone wants opinions and comments. But my point is, It's not the sole reason WHY I make videos. And I'm just asking why people like to make their videos essentially.

Sephirothskr
One Winged Angel
Org Profile

Post by Sephirothskr » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:16 pm

I apologize for double posting, but yes. I would be content if no one saw my videos but me. :)

ngsilver
The Old School Otaku
Org Profile

Post by ngsilver » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:37 pm

TBH, I really just make what I want to make because that's what I feel like. I enjoy the accomplishment of finish something. I put what I make out online because I know others enjoy what I make and I do like hearing what other people have to say about it. I submit to cons mainly to get exposure. If I actually cared about winning awards I'd have changed my style years ago and follow the more popular trends in editing, but I'd rather make what I want to make and see so that's what I do.

Sure, awards are nice and all. But honestly, if I really cared about them I wouldn't keep making these animated gif videos that I can't submit to most cons. Or the 7+ min long videos that I also can't submit to most cons. Or really anything else that I do that is often overlooked in favor of the new kids and their stuff.

Though TBH, I don't make AMVs much anymore. I prefer to really make my own things and get more enjoyment out of making my own films and what not then making AMVs anymore...
ImageImageImageImage

MaboroshiStudio
Org Profile

Post by MaboroshiStudio » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:01 pm

after being retired for about 10+ years I personally love to lurk now since I have returned... I don't post my videos here. I make what I want... I usually don't factor will it get views / awards when I make something. Oddly my most success AMV on YouTube since my return has made very few finalists list at cons nor any awards.

All I like is making finalists lists and if the people enjoyed my work...

I just love creating stuff
Reports of my death were greatly exaggerated...

www.maboroshistudio.com
YouTube Channel

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:05 pm

Showing folks a good time. Nothing is better... except maybe a really comfortable pair of pants.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

MaboroshiStudio
Org Profile

Post by MaboroshiStudio » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:07 pm

Sephirothskr wrote: I just think that the whole competitive side of it gets a bit ridiculous sometimes. Not saying it's a sin to be enter competitions and stuff. I mean, I do it. Most of us do. But I'm saying I just don't think AMV's should be glorified as that being the only reason for making them.
One of my most recent AMVs is the Berserk Movies set to Die MF Die. The song has all the f%$ks bleeped out, but even with that and all the graphic violence I know it won't even be considered in contests due to content. I do get a feeling that a lot of the ultra competitive creators wouldn't make a video where they knew it would have little to no chance of being shown at cons.

I know it won't appeal to everyone... but I loved making the video and had fun! That is what is important to me
Reports of my death were greatly exaggerated...

www.maboroshistudio.com
YouTube Channel

Shui
Shuitcake
Org Profile

Post by Shui » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:00 am

Having fun & seeing other people have fun too.
Spoiler :
fucking stealing other poeples hard work and claiming it as your own, you guys should be ashemed

ppl fukin fuk spent years making those animes, blood sweat and spilt coffe stains drawing all day long just to get a title "animator: this GUY" and then those music ppl spend years learning to produce music, teams of so many hard working ppl just trying to get their stuff out there in the world then WHAT TEH FUK DO U GUYS DO? u fukin take the drawings, u fukin take the music, then u just slap it fukin together like its fukin nothing, then u make banners and og take credit for it fukin all like u fukin made shit goin amv contests actin liek ur teh fukin shit fukin sayin i amde this fukin liek if u fukin did fukin makin fukin the fukin fukin fukin fukin - MiyaDV (2014)

irriadin
BUBBLES!
Org Profile

Post by irriadin » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:34 pm

What's really important to me is expressing myself and making the best videos I can. Some of the videos I make are decidedly not convention friendly (Dissociation), others are more appealing to general audiences (Put Ya Guns On, Super Fighting Bros). It doesn't really matter to me, just as long as I make something I'm happy with and something that *someone* out there appreciates or is inspired by.

Return to “General AMV”