Anti-Trolling rule needs to take affect more?

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
MaboroshiStudio
Org Profile

Re: Anti-Trolling rule needs to take affect more?

Post by MaboroshiStudio » Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:27 pm

l33tmeatwad wrote:Okay, I'm gonna be the one to say it...you can't be like "blipvert (hell style) videos aren't fair" and then be like "trolling super popular videos that win a lot is fine stop complaining"...it's all about audience entertainment right? If you call "unfair" on one thing then do so for the other too, don't have a double standard. By the pandering troll logic....just "make a better video and beat it"...amirite?
Reports of my death were greatly exaggerated...

www.maboroshistudio.com
YouTube Channel

Shui
Shuitcake
Org Profile

Post by Shui » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:05 am

l33tmeatwad wrote:just "make a better video and beat it"...amirite?
:awesome: true words :awesome:
Spoiler :
fucking stealing other poeples hard work and claiming it as your own, you guys should be ashemed

ppl fukin fuk spent years making those animes, blood sweat and spilt coffe stains drawing all day long just to get a title "animator: this GUY" and then those music ppl spend years learning to produce music, teams of so many hard working ppl just trying to get their stuff out there in the world then WHAT TEH FUK DO U GUYS DO? u fukin take the drawings, u fukin take the music, then u just slap it fukin together like its fukin nothing, then u make banners and og take credit for it fukin all like u fukin made shit goin amv contests actin liek ur teh fukin shit fukin sayin i amde this fukin liek if u fukin did fukin makin fukin the fukin fukin fukin fukin - MiyaDV (2014)

Ileia
WHAT IS PINK MAY NEVER DIE!
Org Profile

Post by Ileia » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:31 am

Serious question:

I've never coordinated an AMV contest, so I'm genuinely curious. From the standpoint of an AMV coordinator whose main goal is to put on a good show for an audience to enjoy, why make it a contest at all? Why not just an exhibition of previously-established awesome videos? (Realizing, of course, that some cons have dedicated AMV rooms where you can watch videos all day long and some have only the contest.)
:cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake:

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:54 am

Convention executives' expectations, attendee expectations, perceived parity with cospay events, other con politics, etc.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Post by Castor Troy » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:55 pm

The audience loves seeing people battle... TO THE DEATH!
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:16 pm

As an attendee, I always enjoyed the power of my vote, of having a say in the selection of winners. And it made for a good conversation starter -- the viewing experience became less passive, made us viewers make some tough decisions.

I won't deny that I've thought about the idea of putting on an Expo-like showing where everything is pre-judged and the awards are decided ahead of time; it would undeniably make certain things easier for us as staffers. But the good level of audience participation (we got something like 400 ballots last year) makes me reluctant to try it; it tells me that enough people do care about the contest enough to want to vote.

Now if only more attendees would give us any sort of post-con feedback on the contest...
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

Cyanna
Super Rad!
Org Profile

Post by Cyanna » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:53 pm

Also I think audiences get more excited over winners that they have some emotional investment in. Not that they couldn't get excited over an Expo-type show. But sitting in a crowd listening to people root for their favorite video under their breath before the announcement is very exciting. Sometimes it's the one you voted for. Sometimes it's the one you would have voted for if you didn't vote for yours. Sometimes it's actually YOURS. Aaaaand....sometimes it's the one you hated. But the energy is still there.

But I doubt you would get that amount of audience energy in a pre-selected showcase because the audience doesn't have the same level of investment.

Gene Starwind 21122
Samurai Master
Org Profile

Post by Gene Starwind 21122 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:58 pm

Cyanna wrote:Also I think audiences get more excited over winners that they have some emotional investment in. Not that they couldn't get excited over an Expo-type show. But sitting in a crowd listening to people root for their favorite video under their breath before the announcement is very exciting. Sometimes it's the one you voted for. Sometimes it's the one you would have voted for if you didn't vote for yours. Sometimes it's actually YOURS. Aaaaand....sometimes it's the one you hated. But the energy is still there.

But I doubt you would get that amount of audience energy in a pre-selected showcase because the audience doesn't have the same level of investment.
I agree with this. There is a level of excitement when you are voting live at a convention.
No matter what, stay calm, stay cool and live life to the fullest.
Plus as Gene would say always go big in life.
Anime Mid Atlantic AMV Contest Coordinator 2007-2011
Katsucon AMV Contest Coordinator 2010-2011
T-Mode Contest Coordinator 2013
Nekocon AMV Contest Coordinator 2014

Vlad G Pohnert
Org Profile

Post by Vlad G Pohnert » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:27 am

Ileia wrote:Serious question:

I've never coordinated an AMV contest, so I'm genuinely curious. From the standpoint of an AMV coordinator whose main goal is to put on a good show for an audience to enjoy, why make it a contest at all? Why not just an exhibition of previously-established awesome videos? (Realizing, of course, that some cons have dedicated AMV rooms where you can watch videos all day long and some have only the contest.)
Couple of factors... A Contest will DRAW people over just an expo. this may be more of a perception, but the audience in a contest expects to see the best of the best and they are always curious of who will win (usually awards ceremonies for AMVs are packed too)...

And as mentioned if there is voting, the audience feels they are part of something and audience participation seems to be always popular in many respects.

the other thing is that every con wants a contest over just a showing and as such more resources and bigger rooms are always given out to a AMV contest rather then just a showing.

Vlad
Sakura-Con 2013 - 2019, 2022 AMV Coordinator
Otafest 2012 - 2024 AMV Coordinator
Animethon 2003 - 2024 AMV Coordinator

MaboroshiStudio
Org Profile

Post by MaboroshiStudio » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:34 am

Vlad G Pohnert wrote:
Ileia wrote:Serious question:

Couple of factors... A Contest will DRAW people over just an expo. this may be more of a perception, but the audience in a contest expects to see the best of the best and they are always curious of who will win (usually awards ceremonies for AMVs are packed too)...

And as mentioned if there is voting, the audience feels they are part of something and audience participation seems to be always popular in many respects.

the other thing is that every con wants a contest over just a showing and as such more resources and bigger rooms are always given out to a AMV contest rather then just a showing.

Vlad
I will say having a dedicated room is cool, but allowing people to show their stuff to a empty room isn't that much fun either. People show up for contests so I am interested to see how MTAC will play out this year.
Reports of my death were greatly exaggerated...

www.maboroshistudio.com
YouTube Channel

Return to “General AMV”