Looking back...What inspired you to make AMVs?

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
Gene Starwind 21122
Samurai Master
Org Profile

Looking back...What inspired you to make AMVs?

Post by Gene Starwind 21122 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:58 am

So recently I've been going through some of the old amv's I have on my hard drive, videos from 2002-2007. I re-watched alternatefutures Light of Day AMV, done to Outlaw Star. I remember seeing it at Otakon in 2002, I was inspired by it. I love Outlaw Star and was thinking man I want to make videos like that. Started doing research on programs and started out with MGI Video Wave 4 and a capture device. Worked with that until 2005 when I made Back to Paradise with Adobe Premiere 6.0. Still using that program today.

I just remember sitting down at that contest and being amazed by the works that were put together. Light of Day used CG graphics ahead of its time. The sync, the story everything just seemed and felt right about the video. Over the past 12 years I have seen a lot of amazing videos, editors that have come and gone. Now a new generation of editors are here and I'm amazed how far amv's have come.

Looking at some older works like ANTDrakko's 45, Scintilla's Waka Laka, and Wizard of Ozaka, another amv "Real Ninja's" by Editinghermit (another comedy editor I loved watching.) Just some many videos.

What got you inspired to make AMV's? What were some of your favorite AMV's you have seen over the years?

With all these thoughts of AWA coming up, it brought back a lot of memories for me.

Gene Starwind 21122
No matter what, stay calm, stay cool and live life to the fullest.
Plus as Gene would say always go big in life.
Anime Mid Atlantic AMV Contest Coordinator 2007-2011
Katsucon AMV Contest Coordinator 2010-2011
T-Mode Contest Coordinator 2013
Nekocon AMV Contest Coordinator 2014

macchinainterna
Org Profile

Re: Looking back...What inspired you to make AMVs?

Post by macchinainterna » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:20 pm

Tyler_yj, JudgeHolden, Fluxmeister and EclipseJPX were my biggest inspirations for getting into video editing. Everything I saw from them amazed me and convinced me that I wanted to make videos of my own.

Jihaku remains one of my biggest inspirations and influences for editing, and there have been far too many more over the years to fully recall.

seasons
Org Profile

Post by seasons » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:09 pm

Stumbling across this site back in 2003. Watching the AMV contest at Anime Central back in 2004. I was really shocked that this was a real thing, that so many people were doing it and that there was such a big community around it. I was really into video editing and anime and music and then out of nowhere, this thing comes along that brings together all of my biggest interests at the time (which haven't really changed much since then) and I just couldn't believe it.

Shui
Shuitcake
Org Profile

Post by Shui » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:13 am

I was dumb and young and now I'm tangled up in something.

Edit: for srs now. I was searching for a song and found an AMV. It was with Chobits - which is the first Anime I watched then (yes I was into AMVs before I was into Anime). Been watching AMVs ever since and when I saw Bladebeat Graffiti I wanted to also make something so cool :)
Last edited by Shui on Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler :
fucking stealing other poeples hard work and claiming it as your own, you guys should be ashemed

ppl fukin fuk spent years making those animes, blood sweat and spilt coffe stains drawing all day long just to get a title "animator: this GUY" and then those music ppl spend years learning to produce music, teams of so many hard working ppl just trying to get their stuff out there in the world then WHAT TEH FUK DO U GUYS DO? u fukin take the drawings, u fukin take the music, then u just slap it fukin together like its fukin nothing, then u make banners and og take credit for it fukin all like u fukin made shit goin amv contests actin liek ur teh fukin shit fukin sayin i amde this fukin liek if u fukin did fukin makin fukin the fukin fukin fukin fukin - MiyaDV (2014)

Sephirothskr
One Winged Angel
Org Profile

Post by Sephirothskr » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:05 pm

I saw a Sephiroth VS. Cloud AMV that made me go "I wanna make that." Been doing it ever since.

UnluckyArtist
Partially-Formed Transformah
Org Profile

Post by UnluckyArtist » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:42 pm

In some weird way I got inspired from all the lackluster amvs I saw on youtube that made me think "how boring" or "wow I would've done that alot differently" or "wow why doesn't anyone actually sync to the music?"

Off the top of my head videos from Zero Link and Magnus(Zetzu) are what first impressed me and made me get serious about making them cause with them it was like "wow I wanna do that."

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:55 pm

I wanted people to visit my website (they were advertisement) that I no longer have....

my site is dead, don't bother looking it up.

The_McLaughlin
Org Profile

Post by The_McLaughlin » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:12 am

I remember back in High School finding amvs on youtube and thinking they were the coolest, and then taught myself how to edit usin wmm. However I only made 2 or 3 technical amvs until I just stopped all together for a little over a year. Had no intention to start making amvs again. So I don't consider this to be what inspired me to start making amvs, at least not the type I maje now. At NDK 2009 I attended the amv contest, and saw the FFVII amv Clouded Memories, and fell in love with it. I said to myself, I can do something like that, why did I stop editing in the first place? I then started making use of my account over here, (I had set it up but never used it back when I first started learning but then I stopped editing and nothing ever was put up) and started to figure out how capture footage from DVDs bought vegas movie studio so that I wouldn't just kill my footage, and started editing at least 1 to 2 videos a year. Now I'm here... and I am most definitely editing way more than I used to. I'm really glad I fell back into this hobby and didn't just stop editing completely in mid 2007.

MaboroshiStudio
Org Profile

Post by MaboroshiStudio » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:53 am

This was 1994 or 1995 I think

1) Daicon IV Opening
2) Bobby Beaver aka C-ko... Everything She Does is Magic is probably one of the first AMVs I saw
3) A buddy at my local Anime Club Dave Thotz who made clips of what was showing in Japan
Reports of my death were greatly exaggerated...

www.maboroshistudio.com
YouTube Channel

GloryQuestor
Moderation Hero
Org Profile

Post by GloryQuestor » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:53 pm

Having already been a Japanese animation fan in the 90's and a big music fan, it wasn't until I watched some AMVs being hosted on various sites around 2002-2003 that the combination clicked, and thought I could do my own, especially since Microsoft gave us a free movie editor to play around with...

:roll:
Website Administrator, AnimeMusicVideos.Org
Samurai Warriors Productions
Pittsburgh Japanese Culture Society Events - AMV Department Head
Middle Tennessee Anime Convention - Main Events Operations Manager
Anime Weekend Atlanta - Senior Manager of Programming - Video Art Track

Return to “General AMV”