AMV rant

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
Sephirothskr
One Winged Angel
Org Profile

AMV rant

Post by Sephirothskr » Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:44 pm

This really ticks me off. When you have the great editors around that spend hours and hours, WEEKS even working on an amv (myself included) and we post it to youtube.. your greatest work. A month passes, only 200 views.

Later in the day you're scrolling through youtube and suddenly: "WOW THAT AMV LOOKS KINDA COOL LET'S WATCH IT." One of the worst things you've ever seen with shots consisting up to 30 seconds long with no edits whatsoever. 600,000 views. This really makes me mad that the people who are putting no effort into their stuff are getting much more credit than they desserve, when those views can be going to someone who actually does desserve them. I know for me it's not about views, they're nice and all but it's not too much of a big deal. But this still irks me.

What do you guys think? :)

Ileia
WHAT IS PINK MAY NEVER DIE!
Org Profile

Re: AMV rant

Post by Ileia » Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:49 pm

I remember that there are videos of cats doing nothing that have millions of views and that view count doesn't always directly relate the quality of a video's editing.
:cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake:

Sephirothskr
One Winged Angel
Org Profile

Post by Sephirothskr » Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:58 pm

Well. AMV's are a different boat in my opinion. People like cute cats, but I imagine anyone wanting to see an amv wants to see something... cool? or good? and not just the same shot throughout the whole video.

Ileia
WHAT IS PINK MAY NEVER DIE!
Org Profile

Post by Ileia » Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:06 pm

And tastes differ. Who can tell someone what they think is cool or good?
:cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake:

CrackTheSky
has trust issues
Org Profile

Post by CrackTheSky » Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:18 pm

I don't really use/participate in YouTube any more than I need to, so I can't comment on how the community over there works. There are several others here much more active on YouTube who can provide better insight, so I'll leave that to them.

Instead, I'll comment on this community, which I'm much more familiar with, as I believe that there are some parallels that can be drawn. I've been here since mid-2006, when this place was booming with activity and tens (if not hundreds) of videos were being uploaded daily. Back then, it took a mixture of things to get recognized -- if you simply uploaded a video and did nothing with it, you had very, very little chance of getting noticed at all. Unless someone who was already well-known somehow stumbled across your video and advertised it, your chances of breaking into the "mainstream" were practically nil. It did happen occasionally that certain editors were "discovered" almost purely by accident, but this was rare.

However, the .org provides a couple places to advertise your own work -- namely, the forums and journals (the latter of which are all but completely unused these days). Anyone who wanted exposure could always go there and post their work and hope for feedback. If the video was good but you were an unknown editor, you were much more likely to have the big names telling everyone else about your video in places like the IRC channel and you'd get more views (discovering new editors was fun!). Even then, this would amount to *maybe* a couple hundred hits on your video page, and a proportionate number of video downloads.

If your video was really good, you might get lucky and have someone from another AMV community (typically from a non-English speaking country) see the video and then advertise it on their community's forum, and your video could spread that way. It may not have been too rare for this to happen, but it was rare that you'd get any kind of significant exposure this way. A (comparatively) few dedicated editors would see and love your video and tell their friends but this was a limited market, so to speak.

The real way to get exposure was (and still is) by showing it at cons. If your video is memorable enough, people who visit cons will see it and then look it up when they get home. They'll download it or favorite it on their YouTube profiles and tell their AMV-loving friends who weren't at the con, and it can spread that way. You really have to send your videos to a lot of cons to get a lot of exposure, but think about it -- this is a place where, if your video makes it into the contest, it will be screened to a decent-sized audience. They'll watch it, because that's why they're sitting in that room in the first place -- to watch AMVs!

This is how popular editors (at least on the .org) got popular. I assume it still happens this way, but things have shifted to YouTube a lot so I don't know for sure if it does. Once you release a video or two that gets popular this way, you'll have enough people who know your name and will view whatever future videos you release because your name has become synonymous with enjoyable videos in the past. The fact of the matter is that simply releasing videos is not enough. It doesn't matter how much time, energy, and effort you devote to making your video. If exposure is what you want, you have to work for it. Participate on the forums here, announce your videos in the announcement forum, do op exchanges, hang out in the Skype chat, and send your videos to cons.

As I said, I can't comment on the YouTube community but I would venture to say that starting out there, you're a much smaller fish in a much, much bigger sea. You're not going to get popular over there simply by force of will. Your videos will HAVE to be seen somewhere else, or you'll HAVE to make your name known through other channels and hope that filters over to YouTube. Getting noticed on YouTube is something I wouldn't even know how to begin doing, it's so massive and de-localized.

===
Edit to say that this is all from observation, not really experience (I was never exactly a popular editor myself so none of this ever really happened to me firsthand). Your mileage my vary significantly.

AceD
I AM THE BEST
Org Profile

Post by AceD » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:19 pm

Sephirothskr wrote:Well. AMV's are a different boat in my opinion. People like cute cats, but I imagine anyone wanting to see an amv wants to see something... cool? or good? and not just the same shot throughout the whole video.
You do realise that say, on a 600k view crap video, 597k of the views could of been people searching ''goku goin ssj first time'', ''freeza dies''...etc. Then when they realised it wasn't an actually clip from the anime they clicked away. It's not like 600k people watched because it was awesome, or because they are amv fans. Some guy just got lucky. Or not even lucky really since they are ''empty views''. I'd say a hell of a lot of so called bad videos are for this reason, and they are usually Dragonball Z, Naruto, Bleach or One Piece for the very reason they are very popular and people are searching for clips from the anime, not amvs.

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:03 pm

There are services you can actually buy / otherwise cheat views from. Couple that with overloading highly searched keywords and you can achieve an initial spike. Their placement algorithms will then rank you higher in a bunch of "related video" categories. Riding that for a few months will get you huge numbers for nothing. Why do this? If you can monetize your channel, you can make money off it.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

Sephirothskr
One Winged Angel
Org Profile

Post by Sephirothskr » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:11 pm

Yeah I guess so. My only video that's popular is my attack on titan video which took me an hour to make. That makes me upset when my video that I spent months making didn't get ANYTHING. Although it was nominated in a contest. Which did make me feel pretty awesome.

AceD
I AM THE BEST
Org Profile

Post by AceD » Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:35 am

Ye but you only have a few 100 subs, and probably about 50 active subs. You could upload the greatest video ever but you're relaying on 50 people to spread it (outside of being extremely lucky). Which means you need to go out of your way and promote yourself on different websites to make people aware. Or join a studio so you gain the viewers of your friends and vice versa. The fastest way is to know somebody with a larger channel who can help you, or be well known for something in another area of the net...instant subs then you go grow from there.

Gorz is a good recent example. Tiny channel before akross, but he made a great video and won which made people look him up, then his video became well known elsewhere and people filtered down to his channel. Now when he uploads a video his support has increased 10fold. Similar story with Umika and many others.

You said great editors dont get noticed but they do as long as effort is put in to make it happen. Same as in real life, if you are talented at something nothing will happen unless you do something to get noticed.

Shui
Shuitcake
Org Profile

Post by Shui » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:11 am

I agree with Aced, couldn't have said it better myself.

When I release an AMV it's enough to get recognized by friends and people I respect regarding editing.
Getting jelly over shitty AMVs which get more views is really pointless - if you're that worked up about it you should think about why you edit in the first place.
Spoiler :
fucking stealing other poeples hard work and claiming it as your own, you guys should be ashemed

ppl fukin fuk spent years making those animes, blood sweat and spilt coffe stains drawing all day long just to get a title "animator: this GUY" and then those music ppl spend years learning to produce music, teams of so many hard working ppl just trying to get their stuff out there in the world then WHAT TEH FUK DO U GUYS DO? u fukin take the drawings, u fukin take the music, then u just slap it fukin together like its fukin nothing, then u make banners and og take credit for it fukin all like u fukin made shit goin amv contests actin liek ur teh fukin shit fukin sayin i amde this fukin liek if u fukin did fukin makin fukin the fukin fukin fukin fukin - MiyaDV (2014)

Return to “General AMV”