Favorite editors and influences

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
Fall_Child42
has a rock
Org Profile

Re: Favorite editors and influences

Post by Fall_Child42 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:17 pm

Well, the first person was clearly Doki Doki. I saw one of his videos at Anime north and it was the thing that got me to make them in the firstplace.

After that, Bad Martial Arts' strangeness infiltrated what I liked to make.

Following him countless others.

Aquasky for giving me my first criticism,
Tsunami Jones for all his amazing editing
Ryno and Inthesto for being around
All my CDVV teamates

And more and more people continue to influence me today.

Dvl-Jigen
Org Profile

Post by Dvl-Jigen » Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:42 pm

For me it was

Koopiskeva
His videos had a certain technical essence that I wanted to emulate so badly, and his sense of flow beat out almost any other video at the time.

Nostromo
When I first saw his video "Magic Pad" it hit me in a way I'm not sure I can put into words, it was as if the video sources he used were made specifically for his videos.

Now, I look up to a new group of editors, whose videos move me and give me even more drive to edit and become better.

Chiikaboom
The first of her videos that I saw was "Attack of the Otaku" and at the time I'd been contemplating getting out of editing, then after seeing it, it put a sense of motivation into my heart that I'd not felt before. The rest of her videos pushed me even more to become a better editor, but Attack of the Otaku was the most important to me.

Vivifx
Lately, watching her videos has pushed me to get better at editing, more than I expected, I've been finding myself wanting to learn more of the technical side of editing from watching her videos.
Retired AMV editor/NOT retired AMV Coordinator

Anime California 2015, 2016, 2018 AMV/CMV Coordinator
Hanadoki Con 2016, 2017 AMV Coordinator
Anime Conji 2018 AMV Coordinator
Hentai Con 2018 Assistant HMV Coordinator

Digital Video Lazyness. Yeah, that sounds about right

It's D.V.L Not Devil -__-

Mkid
Im on the case
Org Profile

Post by Mkid » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:14 pm

Obviously we have the big names
Exsphere, Hagan Viper Ileia Koop Sierra lorna (she was a very big inspiration of mine when she came out with the all i need video)

but honestly now there are a few editors that inspire me that aren't so big

Becauseimbored1-i've never spoken a single word to this guy/girl but i like his/her videos. I believe he/she has a long way to go in editing when it comes to more concrete concepts then just putting anime/song together but he/she will get better like we all have and i cant wait. its gonna be awesome :ying:

Lopez - Jesus Christ he is a really big influence and just an awesome guy. i really like his videos. i think he really gets the idea of choosing amazing animes to go with the perfect song for them and just mashing it together to get like the second comming of jesus himself. :sweat:

Animated - not only is that fucker HOT :aimkissyface: ! he is also creative beyond my original interpretation of him. which is wierd because i usually stick by original opinions on people.

Luke0zZz - he is like a little piece of heaven with his transitions and colors. basically an editor version of jackson pollock except i actually like Luke0zZz

lloyd998 - Amazing transitions. he works so unbelievable hard on his videos is brings me to internet tears. And basically his transitions are amazing. it fits into the whole mood/tempo of the songs he chooses. :shrug: check him out. youll understand

Mkid
Im on the case
Org Profile

Post by Mkid » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:32 pm

Mkid wrote:Obviously we have the big names
Exsphere, Hagan Viper Ileia Koop Sierra lorna (she was a very big inspiration of mine when she came out with the all i need video)

but honestly now there are a few editors that inspire me that aren't so big

Becauseimbored1-i've never spoken a single word to this guy/girl but i like his/her videos. I believe he/she has a long way to go in editing when it comes to more concrete concepts then just putting anime/song together but he/she will get better like we all have and i cant wait. its gonna be awesome :ying:

Lopez - Jesus Christ he is a really big influence and just an awesome guy. i really like his videos. i think he really gets the idea of choosing amazing animes to go with the perfect song for them and just mashing it together to get like the second comming of jesus himself. :sweat:

Animated - not only is that fucker HOT :aimkissyface: ! he is also creative beyond my original interpretation of him. which is wierd because i usually stick by original opinions on people.

Luke0zZz - he is like a little piece of heaven with his transitions and colors. basically an editor version of jackson pollock except i actually like Luke0zZz

lloyd998
- Amazing transitions. he works so unbelievable hard on his videos is brings me to internet tears. And basically his transitions are amazing. it fits into the whole mood/tempo of the songs he chooses. :shrug: check him out. you'll understand
Oh and i forgot the most important one!

CodeZTM
- Honestly editor wise i don't like him, i don't enjoy his editing most of the time, occasionally yeah he hits me with a good piece ... He is ONE OF MY BIGGEST INFLUENCES TO EDIT. this man single handedly kept the org alive for me (no offense). He critiques almost everyone's work. creates a contest that almost every year to bring editors from not doing shit. makes this community a little big more informed on just stuff in general with his reviews(i believe he was writing reviews at one point or another). he was just such a positive figure and i hope everyoen is good with him because its been such a while since we've had contact

Mkid
Im on the case
Org Profile

Post by Mkid » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:03 pm

Phlashbak wrote:
Enigmo wrote:Well.... it's hard to say. I mean I don't watch many AMVs but Enigmo is pretty good imo and yeah, he's my fav editor
https://24.media.tumblr.com/6ea2359d2df ... o1_400.gif

Mr. Fuzzyflippers
Lets Positive Thinking
Org Profile

Post by Mr. Fuzzyflippers » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:21 pm

My 5 favorite editors that are still editing are Ileia, Gotegenks, becauseimbored1, l33tmeatwad, and Rider4Z. For retired editors, I really like Beowulf, Exsphere, Nekoteo, and Sierra Lorna.

machina21
Org Profile

Post by machina21 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:06 pm

In terms of overall influence: qwaqa.

Never will be able to match the talent, inventiveness and just plain watchability that all his stuff seemed to have. But his work does serve as a constant reminder that whatever I'm doing is crap and I always have to look to improve. If I could edit like anyone, it would be qwaqa.

Castor Troy is pretty special to me just because it's not often you get to meet and become friends with people that influence you. If Castor's videos taught me anything it's to think outside the box. Before I saw "Go the Distance", AMV's were pretty much the same: Here are some scenes, here is some music, that's it. The idea of mixing live action footage with anime footage was completely alien to me and I've tried to always try new things with every video.

Once upon a time I used to be a huge fan of Driftroot's videos, especially "Takeout". A very sharp eye for detail and the ability to convey well thought out critique has made Driftroot an indispensable collaborator on videos. Just wish she edited more. :ying:

The one and only Sephiroth has been a good friend and collaborator as well. His biggest gift has been his library of old and non archived AMVs that have allowed to see just how far this hobby has come. Always good to talk to about anything.

Honorable mention: Russia, because Russian editors are awesome. :beer:
"Not everyone can become a great artist, but a great artist can come from anywhere."

Centurione
Org Profile

Post by Centurione » Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:35 am

My top favourite editor ever is Cross/fade of course. I'd probably never edit if I hadn't crossed upon his 'Festival of Life'. Seeing someone edit music from Lord of the Dance made me want to edit more myself.

Second person to mention is Umika, her editing style really influenced mine and she kinda showed me what kind of videos I would like to do. It's not that I wanted to copy her style, I just realised which way I want to go.

Third person would be qwaqa. His professional style got me really motivated to improve and reach that level one day.

Apart from that I really have a huge respect to editors like Arczi. AceMan, inCluDe (bobok), immo_love, Kosmit. And I really really enjoy works by pacotacoshell, lolligerjoj, EllipseIris and goRz.

Centurione
Org Profile

Post by Centurione » Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:41 am

Sorry for the double post. One person more:
Rebelion. I feel his style is very clean and professional and I rewatch his works very often.

slimed
Org Profile

Post by slimed » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:55 am

favorite editors and/or editors that have influenced me in some way down the line: scorpionp, copycat_revolver, umika, ileia, reggiesmalls, fall_child42, absolutedestiny, farmxd, sierra lorna (some more recent than others). and exsphere was probably my first editing influence.

Return to “General AMV”