AMV Viewpoint

This forum is for the general discussion of Anime Music Videos.

Re: AMV Viewpoint

Postby AceD » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:06 pm

Begi wrote:
Ileia wrote:But once again, that's not what I'm arguing. What I should say is I feel that these types of videos don't get noticed like videos that use a bunch of video effects with no sort of deep underlying story at all. I mean look at the top 10% rated videos http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members ... 0&c=&f=&t=

That list is worthless though, it's out dated greatly due to the decline of this website. All that list reflects is when this website was at its peak in activity. 2004-2008 roughly.

The internet is bigger than this website, they get noticed. I get the feeling you just don't search around other parts of the internet very often.
AceD
I AM THE BEST

Postby Begi » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:09 pm

AceD wrote:
Begi wrote:
Ileia wrote:But once again, that's not what I'm arguing. What I should say is I feel that these types of videos don't get noticed like videos that use a bunch of video effects with no sort of deep underlying story at all. I mean look at the top 10% rated videos http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members ... 0&c=&f=&t=

That list is worthless though, it's out dated greatly due to the decline of this website. All that list reflects is when this website was at its peak in activity. 2004-2008 roughly.

The internet is bigger than this website, they get noticed. I get the feeling you just don't search around other parts of the internet very often.

Lol that's all time stats, you can look at the most current stats if you want, it will still reflect what I'm talking about. And no to be honest I really don't. I go around youtube and here. But thats for a reason and I've brought this topic up in numerous posts and conversations, where exactly are these other AMV sites with so many videos that you talk about?
ORACLE - COMING SOON
Begi

Postby TheAMVShow » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:09 pm

I don't know why but this topic made me excited. Anywho...

I guess to properly answer your question, we should start by defining what type of art AMVs are. Video art or cinema?

Video art as opposed to cinema works differently in that video art is an experience art like a painting, sclupture etc, while cinema works through storytelling even experimental films tend to hold the basics of beginning middle and end.

But there lies the problem, regular music videos tend to work as both video art and cinema so why can't AMVs?

Yes, they work on already established properities which would push it more into the realm of found footage films but those types of films work by consturcting or deconstructing established material to meet the artists whims, or as others have said the concept for the work.

That means they can have thematic meaning through story or be primarily abstract and all about pushing an aesthetic.

Now to answer your question the simple answer is I can watch both and I don't think the community is stunned by AMVs with story. What I will say though is that the community tends to force story onto AMVs.

I featured an #18.4 by imp on my show when I first started and when I looked at the orignal video comments people were telling imp the AMV needed story when it was clear that the video was more of a technical AMV meant to emphasize beat synch. I tend to see that a lot along with people saying x should do y in terms of the story and etc, but those may be more casual fans.

In my experience people crave story from AMVs whose genre they can't define. If its action they let story go to the wayside but something more obscure their first question is...where's the story?

So I guess to wrap it if you think of AMVs as cinema, then the goal should be story and theme, if you think of it as video art the focus should be the experience and the emotions you interpret from it. I appreciate both.
TheAMVShow

Postby AceD » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:23 pm

Begi wrote:Lol that's all time stats, you can look at the most current stats if you want, it will still reflect what I'm talking about. And no to be honest I really don't. I go around youtube and here. But thats for a reason and I've brought this topic up in numerous posts and conversations, where exactly are these other AMV sites with so many videos that you talk about?
Yes, but no newer videos will it into the top list because the website is dead in comparison to several years ago, so it's redundant. I don't need to look at current stats because since the website has low activity, friends voting for friends is more likely to place videos higher than they really should be.

amvnews...? http://amvnews.ru/index.php?go=Ratings&file=byrating
youtube would also tell you people love such videos. If you think dedicated amv viewers and its editors are on amvnews, youtube has a much larger scale of casual viewers....both audiences appreciate them...so I don't see how you think such videos have no prevalence at all.
AceD
I AM THE BEST

Postby Taite » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:27 pm

In my opinion, AMV's could be or not be considered art. I don't really care.
For me is just a hobby. I never liked or supported that much those videos where
they take anime characters to tell a story. I prefer original animations in that case.

Took the words out of my mouth.

There are a ton of videos that you talk about, I find that they mostly come out of the Russian AMV community though. Even on the akross.ru right sidebar, most of those videos are the "story" type.

For me, I dgaf about anime at all frankly. When I edit amvs my goal is to interpret the song, through atmosphere, concept/story, but mainly just the sounds of it, which people don't get but that's what I aim for (put simply, matching the motion of a scene in an anime clip to the music). I don't do this all the time since editing amvs is also a hobby to cure boredom, but that's what it is for me. Obviously + a concept too though, since no concept at all is just boring as shit, but a concept is very loose. It can be scenes of happy people and that's a concept.

So I tend to not enjoy amvs that focus so much on telling their own story since they tend to stray from the story of the song and only focus on the atmosphere of it, and because good stories aren't told in under ~4 minutes and by using a limited range of sources that aren't even your own, at least in my opinion. I just think morphing the clips and all that jazz, effects n stuff, isn't really art at all. Art to me is original 100%. All art is of course influenced, nothing never takes inspiration from something, but I don't think art is comprised 100% of sources that you had no creative control over.
That being said, I appreciate immensely those that can do it, like Umika and such. Some people are good at it, most aren't. I'm going to enjoy an amv if it's good regardless of whether it's a "story" amv or not though. Whether or not I enjoy it is dependent on a lot of things.

So there's several points on both sides I agree with because I tend to fall in an "idc" attitude about amvs anyhow. If they're taken too serious I don't like it. Amvs to me are not serious to any degree. The thought makes me cringe. To be so specific about what I like in an amv would be weird to me. I tend to enjoy some things more than others, specifically sentimental videos, and dislike others more than some, like the "original story" amvs, but to say one specific thing in an amv is better without a doubt like a "story" would be taking it too seriously imo.

Also I didn't read half the comments in this thread, like the first 3, so if I made a point that seems to directly confront something you said, it's probably not true.

But once again, that's not what I'm arguing. What I should say is I feel that these types of videos don't get noticed like videos that use a bunch of video effects with no sort of deep underlying story at all.

True that. If there's one type of amv I hate it's mindless-effect videos.
Image Image
Taite

Postby JaddziaDax » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:28 pm

I don't think it's a matter of audiences "being ready". When you put it like that it makes it sound like the audience somehow has to "grow up" in order to like those. I think it's more of a matter that people like what they like. There are plenty of people out there who like those videos, but a lot of people also just like seeing videos that have music they like and anime they like.

I also think, as was mentioned before, amvers make what they personally like. From what I know most of us are only out to please ourselves, not some mysterious "target audience".

As for myself: In general I don't really like too many videos where they are just using someone's characters to create some kind of original flick, because I would rather just watch an original animation for that.

If the video has an original story, but remains true to the established cannon of the characters it uses (Narutoball Z, Daydream, Tainted Donuts), then I can end up really enjoying them, but if the video just uses the anime as a backdrop to their "original story" then I can't get into it as much.

But I also tend to use AMVs as a medium of trying to figure out what shows to watch next.
JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!

Postby TheAMVShow » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:48 pm

JaddziaDax wrote:
But I also tend to use AMVs as a medium of trying to figure out what shows to watch next.

Imagine if studios could understand that... we'd all be employed.
TheAMVShow

Postby Begi » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:56 pm

AceD wrote:
Begi wrote:Lol that's all time stats, you can look at the most current stats if you want, it will still reflect what I'm talking about. And no to be honest I really don't. I go around youtube and here. But thats for a reason and I've brought this topic up in numerous posts and conversations, where exactly are these other AMV sites with so many videos that you talk about?
Yes, but no newer videos will it into the top list because the website is dead in comparison to several years ago, so it's redundant. I don't need to look at current stats because since the website has low activity, friends voting for friends is more likely to place videos higher than they really should be.

amvnews...? http://amvnews.ru/index.php?go=Ratings&file=byrating
youtube would also tell you people love such videos. If you think dedicated amv viewers and its editors are on amvnews, youtube has a much larger scale of casual viewers....both audiences appreciate them...so I don't see how you think such videos have no prevalence at all.

there's no evidence to support "friends for friends". that's just an absurd claim. even if that's the case, you're telling me that someone on this site is "friends" with every single person and not one of them would objectively rate their video? cmon, think realistically.

Amvnews??!! lol, how many videos get uploaded there a month? 5? amvnews is a baron wasteland compared to this site. they probably get 1 video uploaded every few weeks. and youtube has many of those videos? hmmm...interesting. last amv i watched on youtube was this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-qCTL8R9Fk
refer here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=118072&start=120#p1508201

Taite wrote:
I just think morphing the clips and all that jazz, effects n stuff, isn't really art at all. Art to me is original 100%. All art is of course influenced, nothing never takes inspiration from something, but I don't think art is comprised 100% of sources that you had no creative control over.

I think a counter argument to that would be music and instruments. Music progressed from a single instrumental sound to a mix of many different instruments. Using that exact logic would be like all current forms of music that use a snare drum are not original because someone used a snare drum before and had their own creative reasons for it, everyone else is just using it for the own purpose and had no control over it's creation.
ORACLE - COMING SOON
Begi

Postby JaddziaDax » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:06 pm

TheAMVShow wrote:
JaddziaDax wrote:

I'd still rather do this for free... While I do think that there is a lot of artistic merit to amvs, I still view it as a hobby for me and not a stepping stone to the professional world. Many amvers have tried to make that leap, and succeeded so it's not impossible.
JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!

Postby Ileia » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:14 pm

Begi wrote:Amvnews??!! lol, how many videos get uploaded there a month? 5? amvnews is a baron wasteland compared to this site. they probably get 1 video uploaded every few weeks.

Ummm.....hardly.
http://amvnews.ru/index.php?go=Files&in=newfiles&per=4

The Org has had 254 entries in the last month ( http://www.animemusicvideos.org/search/newvids.php - gotta change the search options yourself :p ), most of which are direct links (aka youtube) or or not even a link at all.
Ileia
CornDog Whisperer

Postby AceD » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:17 pm

Not to mention most amvs announced here get what....3 comments? amvnews gets a much better average, especially in contest season.

Nothing compared to youtube but still
AceD
I AM THE BEST

Postby Tsu! » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:19 pm

Begi wrote:Is the community not ready for these type of AMVs? Are they too complicated for the general community to understand?
-OR-
Would you rather watch a video with really great editing that shows off complicated visual techniques (such as cut placement or FX work)?

I like 'em both. I've created both kinds of videos, myself, and I enjoy watching both kinds. I think a traditional tribute-style AMV that commemorates the best parts of the show that a fan can really appreciate and someone who's unfamiliar with the show can go "Hm, looks like something I should watch" are great. But an FX video with an original plot that throws unexpected things in your face is exciting! You never know what's coming and it's great to get wrapped up in a story that only existed in the AMV Editor's mind prior to the video existing.

That being said, I've also listened to one of my friends gripe during a contest screening "But that's not how the anime went!" To each their own, I guess.
Fanime 2014 AMV Contest - Department Head
Tsu!

Postby TheAMVShow » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:25 pm

JaddziaDax wrote:
TheAMVShow wrote:
JaddziaDax wrote:

I'd still rather do this for free... While I do think that there is a lot of artistic merit to amvs, I still view it as a hobby for me and not a stepping stone to the professional world. Many amvers have tried to make that leap, and succeeded so it's not impossible.

I was thinking more that anime studios specifically would see the potential for AMVs to advertise their anime and hire us just how musicians use music videos to advertise their songs.

I wouldn't recommended AMV editing as a stepping stone to professional. That's a whole other beast.
TheAMVShow

Postby JaddziaDax » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:28 pm

Some of the boxed sets I got (Animeworks) have "amvs" on them... the videos aren't all that good, but they look like they are trying O:
JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!

Postby TheAMVShow » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:35 pm

JaddziaDax wrote:Some of the boxed sets I got (Animeworks) have "amvs" on them... the videos aren't all that good, but they look like they are trying O:

Yeah I've seen some of those too and am usually disappoint. Its more just songs put to a scene that kinda syncs up. We'd definitely do a better job.
TheAMVShow

PreviousNext

Return to General AMV