AMV Viewpoint

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Re: AMV Viewpoint

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:37 pm

Ileia wrote:
Begi wrote:Amvnews??!! lol, how many videos get uploaded there a month? 5? amvnews is a baron wasteland compared to this site. they probably get 1 video uploaded every few weeks.
Ummm.....hardly.
http://amvnews.ru/index.php?go=Files&in=newfiles&per=4

The Org has had 254 entries in the last month ( http://www.animemusicvideos.org/search/newvids.php - gotta change the search options yourself :p ), most of which are direct links (aka youtube) or or not even a link at all.
This works better 93 in the last 30 days
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

Ileia
WHAT IS PINK MAY NEVER DIE!
Org Profile

Post by Ileia » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:40 pm

Thanks! I knew there was a way to do it (and have it work...) but it was escaping me. :uhoh:
:cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake:

slimed
Org Profile

Post by slimed » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:26 pm

this argument is petty. if quantity is being discussed, the 50 uploads on amvnews in the last four weeks compared to the 93 on the org in the last 30 days isn't even noteworthy or worth considering in relation to this argument when there's such a vast amount of amv uploads per day on youtube. and any list of what's most popular can be easily skewed by a massive number of other factors (for example, if you want to regard the org, you have to consider the amount of "random" videos that are made and the amount of "original story" videos that are made to begin with before consdering what the top10% consists of; there's naturally going to be less of what is least made no matter how much popularity that minority receives). i also think it's worth noting that a lot of videos that are popular here are crossposted and popular on youtube as well. amv editors on youtube and editors on the org are separate communities but they're both apart of an overarching larger community.

back to the original argument, the reason abstract storytelling amvs don't seem as prevalent is because they're not. they're simply not as common as any other form of amv editing. why? that's a whole different discussion. but they are something that people like to see and that's not debatable. look at any example done right and it was probably acclaimed. that's because it stands out and provokes interest in a different way that not a lot of editors touch base with.

Begi
Org Profile

Post by Begi » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:09 pm

BasharOfTheAges wrote:
Ileia wrote:
Begi wrote:Amvnews??!! lol, how many videos get uploaded there a month? 5? amvnews is a baron wasteland compared to this site. they probably get 1 video uploaded every few weeks.
Ummm.....hardly.

The Org has had 254 entries in the last month ( http://www.animemusicvideos.org/search/newvids.php - gotta change the search options yourself :p ), most of which are direct links (aka youtube) or or not even a link at all.
did you guys even bother looking at the amount of videos uploaded in the last 5 weeks on amvnews? lol. (5 weeks = 35 days > 1 month)
i counted about 70 videos. THATS STILL LESS UPLOADS THAN HERE LOLOL. you guys are moving away from the original topic of discussion, if you guys want to go talk about how the site is dying there is other threads and topics for that.
slimed wrote: back to the original argument, the reason abstract storytelling amvs don't seem as prevalent is because they're not. they're simply not as common as any other form of amv editing. why? that's a whole different discussion. but they are something that people like to see and that's not debatable. look at any example done right and it was probably acclaimed. that's because it stands out and provokes interest in a different way that not a lot of editors touch base with.
you're definitely right. my original example of Whisper Of The Beast totally defines what you're talking about.
Tsu! wrote:
I like 'em both. I've created both kinds of videos, myself, and I enjoy watching both kinds. I think a traditional tribute-style AMV that commemorates the best parts of the show that a fan can really appreciate and someone who's unfamiliar with the show can go "Hm, looks like something I should watch" are great. But an FX video with an original plot that throws unexpected things in your face is exciting! You never know what's coming and it's great to get wrapped up in a story that only existed in the AMV Editor's mind prior to the video existing.

That being said, I've also listened to one of my friends gripe during a contest screening "But that's not how the anime went!" To each their own, I guess.
that's the thing! i feel like most people are accustomed to seeing recaps of an anime or just a video that summarizes a source as opposed to something that creates a whole original story. that's what i mean when i say audiences aren't ready for it.

Ileia
WHAT IS PINK MAY NEVER DIE!
Org Profile

Post by Ileia » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:19 pm

Just pointing out that we're actually comparable, rather than AMVnews being "a wasteland" compared to the Org. As has been said, we're both wastelands in comparison to Youtube. Figured you might like to know that little tidbit since it all feeds back into the main points that you were discussing with AceD. It's cool, though, it's cool.
:cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake:

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:23 am

Maybe you aren't ready for amvs that recap the story of the anime O:

FarmXD
Farmer Farm wants to battle!
Org Profile

Post by FarmXD » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:22 pm

Ok I lost so many posts....so I'll drop discussion xD good luck everyone!

MycathatesyouAMV
Based Dicknugget
Org Profile

Post by MycathatesyouAMV » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:46 pm

BasharOfTheAges wrote:
Ileia wrote:
Ummm.....hardly.

This saddens me, especially because our upload system is so up to date :roll:
Discord: MycathatesyouAMV#5994

Lirinis
Org Profile

Post by Lirinis » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:53 am

You can't compare AMVnews' uploads with Org's uploads because they work on different principles.

Anybody is welcome to upload his/her crap on the Org or on Youtube.
AMVnews' and Bestamvsofalltime's uploads are picked by administrators.

Org vs Youtube and AMVnews vs Bestamvsofalltime are correct comparisons.

Moreover, AMVnews' general editorial policy is one-per-day updates. So you'll never ever see more than 31 videos on the main page per month.
AceD wrote:I get the feeling you just don't search around other parts of the internet very often.
x2 :-)

And you really shoudn't worry about storytelling amvs. They will show up on top positions of any reasonable rating. Be it by views, downloads, likes, comments, whatever. People loved stories when they were told by the fire and people still love stories when they are told on Youtube.

The bummer is that you can't actually squeeze a full-blown story in 3-5 minutes, so amv stories are doomed to be oversimplified cliches.

Return to “General AMV”