Your Life Story

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
Qyot27
Surreptitious fluffy bunny
Org Profile

Re: Your Life Story

Post by Qyot27 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:44 pm

How you got into AMVs:
In early 2002 during Sophomore year, I ended up finding some while just browsing around for other stuff. I vaguely seem to remember that my sister had seen a couple and these were lying around on the hard drive, but I honestly can't recall.

The earliest one I have a clear memory of downloading and watching was Maboroshi's Information High video, around April or May 2002. After that I also started seeing AMVs pop up in searches on iMesh and kazaa. I discovered the Video CD format shortly thereafter, and liked the encoding aspect of it. My first couple of attempts at editing were basically taking cutscenes without editing them at all and slapping music over them in VirtualDub. This eventually evolved into taking shorter clips and randomly assorting them in VDub and exporting (all of the videos from my first year of editing were done in VDub). I found the Org sometime around June or July, and after I'd actually edited my first video using clips I made an account and made an entry for it in the catalog.

How you came up with your screen name:
In a computer class during Freshman year. Had something to do with typing exercises, and 'qyot' was the result of just bringing my hands down on the keyboard. The 27 got appended later when I needed a longer name for an email address or something.

How you discovered the Org:
Probably because I was looking for more information about the videos I'd already seen. I honestly can't remember.

Tell me about your studio, like how you joined/created it, etc... (If you're not in a studio, say why :P)
To go along with the newbie mistakes, the name I'd thought up for the 'studio' I attached to my videos was there just because I thought it sounded cool during that angsty high school student phase. It was there mostly because I noticed that most of the videos I was seeing had some sort of studio name attached to them, even though I was aware of the fact that it was superfluous for a one-person studio to have (especially when they don't even have a website of their own for hosting). I was already embarrassed by it a few years ago, but tradition sort of overruled my objections and I kept it around until 2009. Since after that I went on hiatus for so long, there was no point to resuscitating it and when I released Daybreak there was no studio tag attached.

Favorite genre to edit and why:
I don't really have a favorite genre to edit. My early videos were almost all action, but as my skills and desire to actually do coherent videos improved, I ended up gravitating into drama videos...with the exception of doing comedy/action shorts for several of the AMV Hell iterations. It's not like I don't want to edit action videos anymore, but I just end up prioritizing other ideas first due to available footage.

Favorite newbie mistake you've made: (Give us a good cringe-worthy one!)
Upselling on some of the announcements for my early videos. It was pretty bad, but thankfully I stopped doing that pretty quickly and just started going with monotonous explanatory notes in the video description.

First contest experience:
The first and only one I've had was submitting a video to MegaCon 2004's contest. Of course, once it got going and I saw some of the other videos that'd been submitted I realized how pointless that was, but I had a good time. When mine came on, I thought I heard people start singing along about 2/3rds of the way through, but it might have just been my imagination.

This isn't counting the round of AMV Hell CE that I won later, since that wasn't a physical contest.

Best experience you've had thus far with the community:
I don't know, I can't really pick one. I did participate in AniMix back in 2003, and some of the mailing list discussions there were lively, but otherwise I've simply been content to frequent the forum here.

Worst experience with the community:
Again, hard to really say because I get the impression that a lot of the real nastiness occurred outside of the forum (barring trolls that would pop up now and again).

Why you edit: (If you don't edit anymore, explain yo'self!)
I've always edited simply because I like the creative process. The excitement of seeing things coming together on the timeline is as enjoyable to me as seeing the finished product, because in many cases I'll surprise myself with how well certain pieces end up fitting.

The major reason for being on hiatus for so long actually had to do with being annoyed at my computer and how slow it was on my ancient hardware. My patience had simply run out (not to mention feeling confined by hard drive space), and because I had nothing in the way of income to put toward getting a better setup, I dreaded having to open up Premiere. Over that 3½-4 years I pursued some other interests: compiling software, actually watching a lot more anime per season, and so on. Yue's Time Travel MEP made me nostalgic enough to edit something short again, and then since the 10th anniversary of my first video on Premiere was coming up, I edited Daybreak. Whether I'll end up going back on hiatus until I get better hardware is an open question.

Future goals: (Editing, non-editing, whatevers)
I have no clue. Things I thought for sure I wanted to do have been getting sidelined, everything I thought I'd be doing by now has failed to happen, and so in general I'd prefer not to think about it and just take things as they happen. It's too depressing otherwise.
My profile on MyAnimeList | Quasistatic Regret: yeah, yeah, I finally got a blog

NotReallyHere
The Macho Man
Org Profile

Post by NotReallyHere » Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:53 pm

How you got into AMVs: Well, I had seen a few of those "one fight scene + metal song" amvs on YT before but didn't really like them. So when I went to my first con (Animecon 2011) and saw it had an AMV contest my initial thoughts were "how the hell can you have a contest with that crap?". Decided to watch it because I was curious and boy was I surprised! The videos shown there were on a whole different level and I was immediately hooked.

How you came up with your screen name: The first con I went to had badges with your forum name on it and I thought it would be funny to walk around while having "NotReallyHere" written on my chest. Sadly, the next con (Abunai! 2011) I went to had those stupid wristbands so my plans were ruined. Ironically the guy who checked the editor's names at the room for the amv compo made a joke about it but I was too nervous at the time to laugh about it. XD

How you discovered the Org: First thing I did when I decided to make an AMV was look up guides on how to do it. Ended up at the a/v guide.

Tell me about your studio, like how you joined/created it, etc... (If you're not in a studio, say why :P) Not sure what I'd do in one. Plus I tend to prefer single-person amvs over MEPs generally speaking. MEPs always seem a bit random to me.

Favorite genre to edit and why: Dance or comedy I guess, I like cheerful, happy things.

Favorite newbie mistake you've made: (Give us a good cringe-worthy one!) Plastering Vegas' secondary colour corrector onto my entire amv because I read somewhere it could help against pixelation: The result was that my dark scenes at the end became so dark they weren't visible anymore. Oh, and lens flares. Not using those again.

First contest experience: That would be abunai! 2011 in which I entered with my first AMV and got 8th place out of 39 and got an applause during the video itself (teletubbies yo!)

Best experience you've had thus far with the community: Meeting other editors, especially those at cons, has been a lot of fun. As for the org specifically it would be the quickening this year, even though lost big time.

Worst experience with the community: Nothing really comes to mind here.

Why you edit: (If you don't edit anymore, explain yo'self!): I lke the process of creating something that previously only existed in my mind. Itś also a lot of fun to watch your amv on the big screen and hang out with the other editors.

Future goals: (Editing, non-editing, whatevers) Re-install windows (and AE, Vegas). Linux is nice and all but the editing programs available for it are pretty shat (unless I'm missing something, in which case feel free to point me towards this program I missed). Also, my AMVs aren't really what I have in my mind yet, so I'd like to make an AMV that's precisely what I had in mind once. Non-editing: Finishing my studies would be nice. ^^

Shinzui IT
The sexy Artist
Org Profile

Post by Shinzui IT » Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:09 pm

How you got into AMVs: Well I got into amvs back when I watching ye old fashioned Gundam and I just happened to see a website (that wasn't youtube) and saw something interesting with music. After I started watching that I then got into looking at a lot of naruto amvs and soon after that I decided that I wanted to make something like that. So then back when WMM was still popular that was the program I started with.
How you came up with your screen name: My screen name was first 17flip1 because I was playing some games and it sounded interesting. Then something happened to it so I changed to TheRedflash66 on youtube and had a random generated name when I was thinking of the super hero "Flash". Soon after I got older I then realized that my name "TheRedflash66" kind of sounded like a sex name and got irritated. So that made me change it to "Kisagi" which I use now, and everyone actually call me that even out of the amv community so it's basically my nickname.
How you discovered the Org: While I was searching for Gundam amvs and started doing amvs and the website came up :p
Tell me about your studio, like how you joined/created it, etc...: I'm not in one because I'm not really interested at the moment since I'm kind of like a "lone wolf".
Favorite genre to edit and why: Drama, Romance, Comedy, & Psychedelic since the are really fun to do
Favorite newbie mistake you've made: Using a bad quality source
First contest experience: In ALA and was pretty fun
Best experience you've had thus far with the community: The chat
Worst experience with the community: When your friends stop editing
Why you edit: It relieves me of my boredom and since I edit in school as well it's more like a job or somewhat
Future goals: (Editing, non-editing, whatevers)

EllipseIris
Org Profile

Post by EllipseIris » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:07 pm

Since I have 3 years MV editing experience before AMVs, I will answer it from only the AMV editing times!
How you got into AMVs: It happened in the summer of 2010, until so I really didn’t care about AMVs, I only edited with live action footage (TV series, movies). My biggest MV editor inspiration made an AMV though, that made me decide that I should give a chance to AMVs, too 

How you came up with your screen name: In a quite pathetic and real MV editor way: got 2 pretty words and put them next to each other. „Ellipse comes from Imogen Heap’s (back then new) album: Ellipse, and „Iris” comes from Broken Iris’s Iris.

How you discovered the Org: The girl who inspired me for AMV editing talked to me about it.

Tell me about your studio: I am/was a member of Asylum Studios but It died  I LOVED being member there. I joined them in 2011, they had an open audition, it was epic, the members were my family that time, we had all night lasting skype conversations and made birthday meps for all the members, when it was active.

Favorite genre to edit and why: Romance/Sentimental! Because I am deeply in love~ 

Favorite newbie mistake you've made: Ooohhhh fortunately by the time I started AMV editing I grow out the newbie mistakes, but before so I think I committed all the possible flaws :D I think it was epic though that they were amv editors who explained to me that letterbox is a mistake… but I could not believe it, it was just so normal to me that sometimes there are black lines in my videos:’D

First contest experience: MondoCon 2011 Autumn. I gave in my Eat me alive amv and got 11th or 12th place. It was very disappointing.

Best experience you've had thus far with the community: Asylum and the Hungarian amv community and of course finding my boyfriend. When I started editing at my age of 14-15 I always dreamt about having an editor boyfriend. I can’t believe I ended up with one finally :D

Worst experience with the community: Not many… maybe when I got 1st place in action at San Japan 2012 and some started rage on the forum, how much I did not deserve it. It was quite humiliating and disappointing.

Why you edit: I am not a gifted girl, suck at most of the things, but I feel that in editing i can find myself and feel success, and of course because it is quite exciting sometimes 

Future goals: Keep on editing, trying my best and maybe get back to MV editing again a bit .

Btw I like this thread, feels like I can get to know the editors a bit more :)

Sephirothskr
One Winged Angel
Org Profile

Post by Sephirothskr » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:51 pm

How you got into AMVs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ia2HOVeo7q0
How you came up with your screen name: I wanted sephiroth, and youtube said "No. How about Sephirothskr?" so why not.
How you discovered the Org:Typed in amv and here I am.
Tell me about your studio, like how you joined/created it, etc... (If you're not in a studio, say why :P) I have no idea how "Studios" work or what the hell they are...
Favorite genre to edit and why: Action/drama because I like giving people feels.
Favorite newbie mistake you've made: (Give us a good cringe-worthy one!) None of the video being on beat...
First contest experience: Akai con 2013 where both of my videos were finalists! But sadly did not win.
Best experience you've had thus far with the community: None. Mostly negative.
Worst experience with the community:
Why you edit: (If you don't edit anymore, explain yo'self!) Because I like making things and just inspiring people to do what I do.
Future goals: (Editing, non-editing, whatevers) Major in film and one day, become an editor for music videos or big time movies.

Qyot27
Surreptitious fluffy bunny
Org Profile

Post by Qyot27 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:18 am

NotReallyHere wrote:Linux is nice and all but the editing programs available for it are pretty shat (unless I'm missing something, in which case feel free to point me towards this program I missed).
Welcome to hell. This is, unfortunately, one of the really long-standing issues that remain for AMV editing on Linux. Pretty much all of the processing toolchain is there* because the essential programs are all cross-platform and Windows users are aware of them too, but the selection of non-linear editing software leaves a lot to be desired. And to make matters worse, the odds of the really promising stuff being in the distro repositories is highly questionable (or if they are in the repos, they're probably outdated), meaning that for certainty, you've got to compile it yourself or find a third-party repo/PPA/AUR/what-have-you.

*or can be supplemented with Wine.

I keep procrastinating on getting Lumiera built and testing it out. Just from the screenshots it looks nicer than my old experiences with Cinelerra, but I can't really say.
My profile on MyAnimeList | Quasistatic Regret: yeah, yeah, I finally got a blog

Eake4
Australian Zeus
Org Profile

Post by Eake4 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:35 am

Gorz wrote:my little bro
Mate you gotta grab Raitshu back in the AMV scene.

FarmXD
Farmer Farm wants to battle!
Org Profile

Post by FarmXD » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:04 am

Sounds fun! ;D Even if nobody reads me ! |:>

How you got into AMVs: Thanks to a TV show premiering some AMV's...I think "Engel" was there, it was in 2002 so...xD
How you came up with your screen name: The 4 initial letters of my name, plus something to make it different...."XD"
How you discovered the Org: After doing several AMV's in the first Movie Maker (Windows ME I think it was) a friend of mine came up with the site in 2004, so I joined but my english was awful so I never got into the forum or even noticed there was possible to upload mine.
Tell me about your studio, like how you joined/created it, etc... I created one but just for myself called "Farm Studios" but I never spected there were people interested in joining as a team. They never wanted to change the name, dunno why. The Studio died 3 years ago because we were too busy.
Favorite genre to edit and why: Anything xD Whatever crosses my mind seems like a challenge and it's fun.
Favorite newbie mistake you've made: Hearts on Fire resolution. I had my experience after years editing but I never learned the basics, like framerate and resolution. The 720x480 makes it horrible and deforms some characters.
First contest experience: AWESOME! I received an honorable mention and prizes came to my place :D (Otafest). I'm so sad I couldn't make more decent videos to that contest, I really liked it.
Best experience you've had thus far with the community: The times when I talked with Istiv and Tyler. Also, the good reception of all of you over the years and the Mindless Self Indulgence MEP :)
Worst experience with the community: The dissagreement with MimS because a childish act of mine before lost contact with all french community around here. He's a great guy.
Why you edit: Because it's fun xD
Future goals: Two final goals for my 12 year AMV experience: First; An "Opera manga"...a video that make people say "Oh, that's Farm video, I remember that guy, great piece of AMV" and with that, my second goal: A redemption in Japan Expo. Hearts on Fire was a failure. I know I can do something better, even if french community forgot about me.

Great thread! I feel good after being honest :)

Iron Solari
OSHMKUFA2010
Org Profile

Post by Iron Solari » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:28 am

How you got into AMVs: My friend, EimiJ7 showed me Otakon 2011's AMV contest, and I thought it was the most amazing thing, so I decided to try and start making some myself.
How you came up with your screen name: League of Legends
How you discovered the Org: EimiJ7
Tell me about your studio, like how you joined/created it, etc...: I have no studio, mainly because I don't think I'm at that kind of level yet, and want to do things by myself for now.
Favorite genre to edit and why: Romance/Sentimental is definitely easier for me, but I think Comedy is a challenge and fun when it works out.
Favorite newbie mistake you've made: First AMV I ever made, which is not rotting in the pits of Hell, was riddled with subtitles and watermarks.
First contest experience: Otakon 2012. I thought it was amazing that my Romance/Sentimental video made it into the finals, and then went on to win second place.
Best experience you've had thus far with the community: Project Org Editor was an interesting experience, along with the Quickening. I've never really entered those kinds of things so it was new and unique to me.
Worst experience with the community: I haven't actually had one yet. Just stressful sometimes. Maybe a certain MEP in the past that failed because of the coordinator.
Why you edit: I like to think of my videos as an expression of myself, and if they are crappy, well then I was probably feeling crappy when I made it. I am no star editor and I know my skills could be better, but I do what I can do.
Future goals: Animation.
"Some guy stuck a butter knife covered in peanut butter into my DvD player because he said it was hungry."
-Anonymous

Kyssifur
Org Profile

Post by Kyssifur » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:05 pm

How you got into AMVs: Random surfing on the net after I watched GTO.
How you came up with your screen name: Kissyfur was my favourite cartoon character. When I first sat down to use the www it asked for a username. I had to choose fast.
How you discovered the Org: Google.
Tell me about your studio, like how you joined/created it, etc... Sircle. We were drinkin' beer like a sir. The studio name is a mixture of "sör" (which is beer in Hungarian, pronounced like sherman, circle(jerk) and "like a sir". Jeez. So that's how. I'm a founder member.
Favorite genre to edit and why: Epic action/drama/romantic/whatever. I like it when my jaw is on the floor after watching my own videos. :D
Favorite newbie mistake you've made:

First contest experience: 2008. It was a small Hungarian contest. I failed.
Best experience you've had thus far with the community: Most of the contest organizers DO ship/send the prizes to oversea! That was absolutely a surprise for me!
Worst experience with the community: Russians. Nuff said. (I really don't want to get myself into philosophical questions. They are just... gratuitously snobbish.)
Why you edit: Cuz I enjoy it! I like to edit. Obvious isn't it?
Future goals: I wanna win at least 1 VCA category.
we are awesome

Return to “General AMV”