Your Life Story

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
Radical_Yue
Org Profile

Your Life Story

Post by Radical_Yue » Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:26 pm

I thought this might be fun :P

Really, it's a combination of a bunch of different threads in the past, but still!

How you got into AMVs:
How you came up with your screen name:
How you discovered the Org:
Tell me about your studio, like how you joined/created it, etc... (If you're not in a studio, say why :P)
Favorite genre to edit and why:
Favorite newbie mistake you've made: (Give us a good cringe-worthy one!)
First contest experience:
Best experience you've had thus far with the community:
Worst experience with the community:
Why you edit: (If you don't edit anymore, explain yo'self!)
Future goals: (Editing, non-editing, whatevers)

Shui
Shuitcake
Org Profile

Re: Your Life Story

Post by Shui » Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:39 pm

How you got into AMVs: I can't remember. What I know is that I got into it as soon as I got into Anime. The first Anime I watched was Chobits and the first AMV I saw was with Chobits aswell.
How you came up with your screen name: I think it sounds cute. Seriously. Got fed up with all the pretentious KillaDragonXXX nicks my friends had as a kid.
How you discovered the Org: I googled amv. Then I saw Euphoria. I thought it sucked and left. Then I came back and saw Skittles. It was good.
Tell me about your studio, like how you joined/created it, etc... I'm not in one because I couldn't find anyone sharing my hobbys. I even kept quiet about Animes in school. No way I'd say anything about AMVs. Also I wouldn't connect with people through the Internet at the time.
Favorite genre to edit and why: Action or Dance. Because I like EDITING not making Storyboards. And the Music is cooler too :D
Favorite newbie mistake you've made: I would edit a 5 Minutes AMV with 1.5 Minutes of footage.
First contest experience: Advik in Prague. I sent in some Bullshit I edit in two hours while drunk and depressed. Didn't have much competition quality-wise so I got blazing 2nd place YAY.
Best experience you've had thus far with the community: It was also at Advik with Mirko, Stephan, Uwe and Jay. I never expected that those Internet people would be so cool. Withouth that I'd long be gone.
Worst experience with the community: Ileia wouldn't rape my anymore in the chatroom.
Why you edit: So I have a reason to stay connected to all the cool people I've met through AMVs.
Spoiler :
fucking stealing other poeples hard work and claiming it as your own, you guys should be ashemed

ppl fukin fuk spent years making those animes, blood sweat and spilt coffe stains drawing all day long just to get a title "animator: this GUY" and then those music ppl spend years learning to produce music, teams of so many hard working ppl just trying to get their stuff out there in the world then WHAT TEH FUK DO U GUYS DO? u fukin take the drawings, u fukin take the music, then u just slap it fukin together like its fukin nothing, then u make banners and og take credit for it fukin all like u fukin made shit goin amv contests actin liek ur teh fukin shit fukin sayin i amde this fukin liek if u fukin did fukin makin fukin the fukin fukin fukin fukin - MiyaDV (2014)

Animated
Drama Text Cop
Org Profile

Post by Animated » Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:55 pm

How you got into AMVs: I randomly saw a bunch of Linkin Park/Yu-Gi-Oh AMVs, and boy they were awful (according to my very high standards right now. Back then, those videos were top notch for me.) And that was it for me, I had to do the same thing, publish a video of my own, become famous! And here I am now :awesome:
How you came up with your screen name: Animated? ...I loved anime. Yeah, it sucks.
How you discovered the Org: Nikolakis and Full Metal Sempai used to upload their works here. And also, I considered the 10% list of the org, the "official" AMV list of the best videos ever, so I took my chances, entered the site, and I'm still here struggling to get to the top.
Tell me about your studio, like how you joined/created it, etc... (If you're not in a studio, say why :P) No studios, never. It's hard to explain... I just want to be known as someone that works on his own, with no famous editors on his back.
Favorite genre to edit and why: DRAMA. Cause everything else sucks. Because drama is god-tier genre. Because when a simple AMV lefts you crying, you know you have a little gem in front of you. Well, there are also many AMVs that can easily make you laugh, but laughing is something that comes out of you much easier than crying. What I mean is, crying>laughing.
Spoiler :
I once used that Vegas TV Effect. Never done it again.
First contest experience: Never been to a contest. But winning my first one, Anime Banzai 2009 if I remember correctly, felt awesome. Boosted up my ego!
Best experience you've had thus far with the community: Project Editor: Tag Team Trials. Working with Kevmaster, Centurione, and FarmXD... God knows how much I miss that time :(
Worst experience with the community: After a year or more of absence from the .org, I took part at the first Quickening contest to make myself more known... even had editors betting on me. Created one cool (according to me :P ) video, and I was expecting the top position... got 7th out of 8. I had to become THAT guy.
Why you edit: (If you don't edit anymore, explain yo'self!) I DID IT FOR THE GLOOOORYYYY :awesome: No, seriously. Fame and glory. It's one thing I can do right, exploiting the massive amounts of imagination I have.
Future goals: (Editing, non-editing, whatevers) Get a Golden Asuka, get at least 3rd place in Akross, enter the Cyber Crime Department of my country... also, I want some muscles!

sakuraslight
Need more Jiggawatts
Org Profile

Post by sakuraslight » Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:00 pm

Go on then I need a break from editing ^^

How you got into AMVs:
It was years and years an years ago. My first AMV i saw was a sailor moon one relay low res bad quality audio to a creed song. I thought I could give that a try. And started to make my first AMV using windows movie maker beta on Windows ME. Check out my first AMV here ^^. is sucks ^^ ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKcpOyFUbRs )

sakuraslight. . I came up with the name. while i was at my parents house when i was younger. I had a cherry blossom tree in my front year and the light shine through it one day and sakuraslight. boom

I was looking for New AMVs online and I just stumbled upon it in the early days of Google ^^

Tell me about your studio, like how you joined/created it, etc... (If you're not in a studio, say why :P)
I am a member of Team mutiny. We have been around since 2012. it started as a joke in the TGS comp that year. as everyone left the grope that chaosgod was in or they would not respond to his posts. he came on Skype and spoke to me and asked if i would like to join in with the MEP and i said yes. But we needed an extra man. so i pulled in Drango. and we decided on the name for team mutiny as we where a week behind the Edit than every one else in the TGS but we cracked on and kept deifying everyone. ... Check out our first video as team mutiny here. ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-F3Dgu7EFos )

I do like My drama and i have been doing that most of my editing carrier. but i am falling in love with Dubstep edits and Hiphop now. and the faster action edits.

Crappy low res footage and 20 seconds long banners at the start and end of my videos. I so hate them now... i cant think for the life of me why i ever did them if i could go back in time i would stop myself from doing them.

My first contest was a small one at a anime festival called wildercon. now called tokonatsu. it was fun my heart was in my troat. i edited 2 videos for the comp. and both of them where rubbish. they had subs no sync. long sceans. ^^ and i did rubbish.

Everyone is lovely have met editors from all over the world at conventions and festivals. i met Drango at tokonatsu. have been going there every year and we talk about editing all the time... and now he is My best man for my wedding next year. every one is so helpful if there is something that you cannot do someone else will know or can point you in the direction of someone who dose or to a guide that will tell you.

People hatting my videos when I was first on the org. but I don't mine that now i know my videos where bad and ever time i edit now i am getting better and better.

Why you edit: (If you don't edit any more, explain yo'self!)
I edit for fun. to show people what you can do with a little imagination.

Editing wise. To get a finals nomination or make it to the finals of Akross... that would be epic..

non editing. i am getting a little older and going to be settling down to start a family. i would like to open my own business.
ImageImage

irriadin
BUBBLES!
Org Profile

Post by irriadin » Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:01 pm

How you got into AMVs:

I went to my first anime convention, Otakon 2009, and saw videos presented on a huge screen with thousands of people watching with rapt attention. It was an amazing, singular experience. Some of the videos I still love to this day. More than anything else, I saw the talent and artistry employed in those AMVs and I wanted to try my hand at it the next year. I wanted to be a part in something that I felt was creative, personal, and valued.

It went something like: "Oh. I guess I need an internet handle. My first name is Ryan, so I'll just turn that into some kind of nickname."

In 2005, I wanted to find some .hack//SIGN AMVs. I found them. Needless to say, I wasn't impressed, so I left and didn't come back for another four years :p

PixelBlended Studios is my home, and I love everyone in it. Good times are had at conventions, on Skype, even in Shin's basement prison.

Action. Because I like the visceral excitement you can give others through it.

My perfect text has been upset and this is the best it's gonna get.

Apart from that... editing in a raw HD stream in Vegas 9 made me want to smash a hole in the wall with my face by the end of my first video.

See my first answer. If you want to know about the first time *I* was in a contest, that was Otakon 2010 with my Claymore video. Talk about nerve-wracking, seeing your video on the big screen.

Probably AWA 2013. It was just such a great time to talk and hang out with my studio, and other members of the community.

Probably MimS giving me a thousand revisions for Empty Mosaic 2...

just kidding!

Worst experience is probably just having the Russians hate my guts for no explicable reason.

Why you edit: (If you don't edit anymore, explain yo'self!)

It's a form of expression that I enjoy, and it helps me get more proficient in other design-related areas, so it's a total win-win for me.

An action collab will be coming its way eventually. And it will be glorious, oh yes.

Radical_Yue
Org Profile

Post by Radical_Yue » Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:45 pm

How you got into AMVs:
When I was about 13 or so I was REALLY into Dragon Ball Z, as were all my friends in middle school. One day, one of them brought a disc to school that was full of "really cool DBZ videos." We traded the disc around so everyone could take it home and watch it on their computer, this was before Youtube was a thing and the majority of us were still on dial-up. When it finally got to my turn I was introduced to the wonderful world of Linkin Ball Z, starting with:

I thought the videos were super cool and all but I didn't know there was more out there. About a year later or so while I was on a Neopets forum (yes, I used to play Neopets like a Pro) I noticed someone had posted a topic about their AMVs. Turns out it was this guy. He told me about the ways of Kazaa and Windows Movie Maker and it's all history from there. :P

When I was in school my friends and I would take on tons of nicknames based on characters we liked from various anime. Radical Edward from Cowboy Bebop was one of my favorites along with Yue from Card Captor Sakura. I stuck 'em together and I've got my current username. Hell, it's even gotten to the point where I'm called Yue more than Younique (my real name) in my day to day life.

After finding out that AMVs were a thing I would google search to see what I could find. Tons of anglefire and freeweb sites came up for me but most of their links directed me back to Animemusicvideos.org. I'm pretty sure I made about 5 different accounts before I got it right and figured out how to properly download videos but once I did, I was HOOKED.

Tell me about your studio, like how you joined/created it, etc...
When I originally started editing I made up my own studio called "Once In A Blue Moon Productions" based off the title of an episode of Charmed that I thought sounded cool. >>
Then I got more into the community and discovered the big studios out there, VNS, CDVV, RDS, AUN, etc... When I went to my first con, I saw how the studios kind of stuck together and roomed with each other. Not click-like, but just like really close friends. I became good friends with Kitsuner, Ileia, ZephyrStar, Fall_Child42, aesling, and the others. One day Ileia told me I was in CDVV and it basically made my year :3 I'm in an awesome studio with amazing people and it's the best thing ever.

Upbeat/drama. Great characters are my number one motivation to edit so a rather large chunk of my videos are character profiles that are either dramatic or cutesy upbeat.

This may not be super cringe-worthy for others but it is for me! I'm a total AR nazi nowadays but back when I made this video I had no idea what I was doing. I sent a beta to Scoob who told me that the characters looked stretched. My response was "lol, it's Utena. They always look stretched."
NEVER AGAIN ;_;

Honestly, I don't even remember my first REAL contest I entered. (Real meaning not online only :P) I'm pretty sure I submit my video Poison Lament to some convention that took place in a closet or something and won there but even back then it didn't really matter to me. The biggest contest for me was Acen 2008 where I submit Radiance. I know that Mamo! and I were working our butts off to finish our videos in time to try and make it into the contest and we both failed to be finalists. We were super depressed at the time but I think in the end it was a good learning experience for us. You don't always make it and contests aren't the end all be all considering we still ended up having our videos played that weekend :3

Honestly, all the people I've met. It's fucking AMAZING. I was girl from Southern California with no real friends that I could trust and now I've got people all around the world that I am damn proud to be able to call my good friends. I've gone to conventions, weddings, and even ended up in a 4 1/2 year + relationship with another editor! I'm dead serious when I say that other editors are the best part of this hobby.
Too many great times that I've had to recount just one :3

Becoming a mod has been a great experience yet also a really horrible one. Overall, I'm not going to go into details but I'm really disappointed with how a lot of the behind the scenes stuff is handled. I'd like to see it changed and my hope for it to happen is still hanging on by a thread, but as of right now it's fucking depressing.

Why you edit:
I edit because I love anime, I love characters, and being able to express myself and get people interested in shows and artists that I enjoy. I personally hate the majority of my own videos but if someone else likes them, that's cool.

Future goals:
I would really like to see the Org NOT be a broken piece of shit anymore. That would make me incredibly happy. :D
Beyond that I want to continue editing, running contests, and trying to better myself as a person. I'm looking forward to 2014 and beyond as I plan to start trying out new conventions and traveling a bit more too :3

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Post by Castor Troy » Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:12 pm

How you got into AMVs:
When I was a 17 year old High School senior in 1999, I saw AMVs from DannyPoo of DBZ Warriors and MeriC's Temple O Trunks. I thought they were pretty cool, but didn't really care about getting into them since I had no way to capture footage. I purchased a cheap TV Tuner card from a computer show over the summer and realized I could capture clips from it. After that my friend Eric took my DBZ clips I captured and set them to AFI songs and that inspired me to start making videos.

Being a huge Nic Cage fan and seeing the movie Face/Off in 1997 made me wanna take the "Castor Troy" name.

I was going to get kicked off my host for bandwidth problems at the end of 2000 and discovered the .org in early 2001 when we still had the "phorum". I thought the .org was gonna provide hosting (It took until 2003 with the Dangling Carrot = Golden Donut to finally get local .org hosting), but it didn't at the time. I forgot the .org existed up until summer of 2001 when I learned I could actually download videos there.

Tell me about your studio, like how you joined/created it, etc...
My first studio was 3G (Ginga GIRI GIRI - my DBZ site name) Productions, but when I shut 3G down for the first time in 2002, I stopped the whole studio thing. In 2003, former AMV editor Ikasu and I were gonna start "Bust a cap in yo ass productions" but that never got off the ground and decided to go solo. In 2007, I felt the need to be part of a studio, so I messaged Koop to see if I could be part of RDS and after he talked with everyone else, I officially became a member and have been with them ever since.

Action/Comedy or Action/Drama. I like having things punch each other while either wanting to laugh or feel inspired. :P

Most people wouldn't understand this, but I would capture from my VHS tapes at 15 FPS and export at 30fps, causing sync issues I would never notice. :x

I tried to submit this video to Anime Expo 2001, but it didn't get in (for obvious reasons :P). I was initially discouraged, but after seeing videos on the big screen at the Long Beach Terrace Theater, I was so blown away that I was determined to get in the next year and I did :)

Where can I even start? From meeting AWESOME people who have become lifelong friends and getting drunk with them, setting up the foundations for my career in filmmaking, and finding a place where I felt accepted for my stupid ideas is the best part the community.

Winning so many cons in 2002 which led me to be accused as the first "troll". It sucked having so many people gang up on me when I was just trying to make a name for myself. :cry:

Why you edit:
Mostly to bring out the really stupid ideas in my head to life. All my life, I've been told I was uncreative and unfunny right to my face, but I was surprised to finally have an audience that actually enjoy my stupid ideas which eventually led to my career. All those people can now suck it. :twisted: |:> :bzz: :bzz2:

Future goals:
While I'm not an active amv editor anymore, I still want AMVs to be an enjoyable form of entertainment for people and will still do the best I can to spread the word and give out advice to others who want to make it out there with their AMVs. Maybe I'll be the old cryptic mentor-like figure who lurks from behind the shadows telling people how to make things better in the AMV community. 8-)
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

JCD
Lord of the Dance
Org Profile

Post by JCD » Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:38 pm

How you got into AMVs: Dragonball Z.
How you came up with your screen name: Deus Ex.
How you discovered the Org: Google.
Tell me about your studio, like how you joined/created it, etc... Friends.
Favorite genre to edit and why: Action, because.
Favorite newbie mistake you've made: Piano keys.
First contest experience: Life-changing.
Best experience you've had thus far with the community: Travel.
Worst experience with the community: Circle-jerks.
Why you edit: I love Anime.
Future goals: Travel more.

In all seriousness, I wrote a massive tl;dr here years back, and it's still the same situation: http://www.animemusicvideos.org/forum/v ... 6#p1187096

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Post by Rider4Z » Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:44 pm

How you got into AMVs: friend shared LinkinBall Z videos with me when i was in college. soon as i got my hands on editing software/hardware, i started editing.
How you came up with your screen name: i came up with Rider4Z for my first email account. I've kept it ever since. My name's Rider and i'm FOR Dragonball Z.
How you discovered the Org: i googled "dragonball z music videos". i didn't really get into the site for about a year after joining tho. uploading and ftp were all foreign words to me.
Tell me about your studio, like how you joined/created it, etc... my husband (Stryyder) and i came up with the name. it includes all our creative projects, not just amvs. it was his hope to eventually open up an actual lounge/store in the future full of gaming and anime.
Favorite genre to edit and why: i seem to really thrive on what i call "angsty action", so pretty much anything done to Nightwish or Within Temptation.
Favorite newbie mistake you've made: my first amv created from my own ripped dvd footage, , i didn't understand this little thing called deinterlacing/fields.... and i never bothered to fix it so feel free to download, watch and cringe and the interlaced glory.
First contest experience: Anime Expo 2004, 2006 - 2004 i simply attended, and i was introduced to the "WOW Factor" of amvs, and i learned i had miles of improvement to go. 2006 was the first contest i entered and i made finals with and (they fixed the interlacing). Fight for Life kicked off the entire show and screams were heard throughout the hall. Veeeeerrrrrry satisfying moment that i'll never forget.
Best experience you've had thus far with the community: All the friends i've made <3
Worst experience with the community: Worst experience would have to be with a convention/contest (which will remain nameless) that i have decided to never enter or have anything to do with ever again. I believe it's run VERY sloppily and the coordinator has little to do with the AMV community and therefor doesn't understand certain etiquette. I tried giving my voice on the subject (respectfully and assertively) but neither the coordinator nor the con chair has any interest in my opinion despite the fact that it has lost respect from a handful of good and well known editors.
Why you edit: it's an artistic release. it sucks up my time and money, but i haven't quit yet so i must like it.
Future goals: Stay happy :)

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Post by Rider4Z » Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:58 pm

How you got into AMVs: friend shared LinkinBall Z videos with me when i was in college. soon as i got my hands on editing software/hardware, i started editing.
How you came up with your screen name: i came up with Rider4Z for my first email account. I've kept it ever since. My name's Rider and i'm FOR Dragonball Z.
How you discovered the Org: i googled "dragonball z music videos". i didn't really get into the site for about a year after joining tho. uploading and ftp were all foreign words to me.
Tell me about your studio, like how you joined/created it, etc... my husband (Stryyder) and i came up with Otaku Lounge Productions. it includes all our creative projects, not just amvs. it was his hope to eventually open up an actual lounge/store in the future full of gaming and anime.
Favorite genre to edit and why: i seem to really thrive on what i call "angsty action", so pretty much anything done to Nightwish or Within Temptation.
Favorite newbie mistake you've made: my first amv created from my own ripped dvd footage, , i didn't understand this little thing called deinterlacing/fields.... and i never bothered to fix it so feel free to download, watch and cringe and the interlaced glory.
First contest experience: Anime Expo 2004, 2006 - 2004 i simply attended, and i was introduced to the "WOW Factor" of amvs, and i learned i had miles of improvement to go. 2006 was the first contest i entered and i made finals with and (they fixed the interlacing). Fight for Life kicked off the entire show and screams were heard throughout the hall. Veeeeerrrrrry satisfying moment that i'll never forget.
Best experience you've had thus far with the community: All the friends i've made <3
Worst experience with the community: Worst experience would have to be with a convention/contest (which will remain nameless) that i have decided to never enter or have anything to do with ever again. I believe it's run VERY sloppily and the coordinator has little to do with the AMV community and therefor doesn't understand certain etiquette. I tried giving my voice on the subject (respectfully and assertively) but neither the coordinator nor the con chair has any interest in my opinion despite the fact that it has lost respect from a handful of good and well known editors.
Why you edit: it's an artistic release. it sucks up my time and money, but i haven't quit yet so i must like it.
Future goals: Stay happy :)

hey yue, can you remove my first post? i forgot to include my studio's name in it :oops:

Return to “General AMV”