About AMVs and...

This forum is for the general discussion of Anime Music Videos.

About AMVs and...

Postby TritioAFB » Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:11 am

I was out for a while from youtube. I decided to return some weeks ago to find out there have been apparently a change.

As far as I know, I thought the definition of AMVs was clear, but seems it's not.
Why I start talking about this? This is because I noted this... apparently 'new genre' called ASMV or Anime Story Music Video.

When I first read this, I thought that with story of not, an 'ASMV' is still an AMV, but what calls my attention, is that some people that support this, are not even capable to do a decent definition of AMV, like if this kind of music makes an AMV and this kind of music makes an ASMV.

So what do you think about these ASMVs?
Making AMVs by day, Going to Gym by Night
TritioAFB
Ambassador of the AMVWorld

Re: About AMVs and...

Postby Diegao » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:24 am

I heard that ASMV was created by a famous guy on Youtube just because he was telling a story in a very-long video, and other people started to do the same. I don't approve it, cause I think there's no need to add a letter to indicate that there's a story in the video. Well maybe in the future it will become the standard for many, but now it seems just stupid to me.
Rising Production: Site - Forum - Facebook - Twitter
Diegao
Enjoy the music

Postby Kyssifur » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:41 am

×2
we are awesome
Kyssifur

Postby AceD » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:09 am

Long scenes of people talking with Hanz Zimmer in the background.

Anyway, agree with diegao.
AceD
I AM THE BEST

Postby Domius » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:45 am

"ASMV" was created by loosecontrol, a noob on YouTube.
ASMV's don't exist.
Domius

Postby l33tmeatwad » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:21 pm

ASMV is a title someone created to make themself feel special as if they created something new, but the fact of the matter is people have been telling stories through AMVs for years, so it's nothing new.
Sites: Website | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube
Guides & Scripts: AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | Anime Upscale
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Facebook | Tumblr | Twitter | YouTube
l33tmeatwad

Postby EllipseIris » Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:13 pm

Iiii think it depends.. you know I also do not approve it, neither the plus letter, nor this type of "amv"s I think these should be called rather "ASV" since yes, they use music, but it has almost nothing to do with the whole video.. it's like you listened to dramatic music while reading a manga.
So in a nutshell my opinion is that people who do not approve even YouTube amv society (in the meaning how the "members" of that sociaty think of themselves on YT) will not value ASMVs neither. And the people who are more into YT, they will do believe that ASMV is an existing concept.
(they are boring for me :| )
EllipseIris

Postby l33tmeatwad » Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:56 pm

EllipseIris wrote:Iiii think it depends.. you know I also do not approve it, neither the plus letter, nor this type of "amv"s I think these should be called rather "ASV" since yes, they use music, but it has almost nothing to do with the whole video.. it's like you listened to dramatic music while reading a manga.
So in a nutshell my opinion is that people who do not approve even YouTube amv society (in the meaning how the "members" of that sociaty think of themselves on YT) will not value ASMVs neither. And the people who are more into YT, they will do believe that ASMV is an existing concept.
(they are boring for me :| )

While it does tend to have a particular style, it's still just remix culture and it uses anime. Parodies that are often in AMV contests are not "Music Videos" yet they are considered AMVs, so I don't see why "ASMVs" really need a different title either. It's just another subset of AMVs that inclusively decided it wanted to disassociate with the name to be "different"....kinda like an emo kid in high school. To me, this "new style" is no different than "candy" which is also another "YouTube spawned creation", but you don't see them saying they are "ACMVs"...
Sites: Website | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube
Guides & Scripts: AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | Anime Upscale
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Facebook | Tumblr | Twitter | YouTube
l33tmeatwad

Postby Kyssifur » Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:13 pm

Lot of videos should be called AdafuqMV's then...
we are awesome
Kyssifur

Postby MystykAMV » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:55 am

why don't we make AFXMVs? *.*

Anyway, I think this idea is just...weird, and there is no use to it, a simple AMV can have a story too, without audio from the anime and subtitle made by the creator of the A(S)MV. It might have a better effect to put audio from the anime and whatever (I mean it might affect the viewer more than the music+anime in itself), but it might as well mean that the creator can't make the story understandable without using audio from the anime and subtitles. Well anyway, I would use ASMV, since an ASMV is the same as AMV...the person should just give a normal title to the AMV rather than emphasizing "oh hey look this is ASMV, I'm so cool and creative since I gave a different name" it's a bit kind of..."attention whoring" but whatever, it's just my opinion
MystykAMV

Postby Centurione » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:11 am

Well actually, there's a new Polish AMV site being created and the thing is... People who do it are not AMV-makers themselves. I accidentally found out about recrutation for the staff of it and signed up cause looking at how it was supposed to be organised I was really afraid it'd turn out to be some really shitty site. So yea, some guy wrote me later and asked a few questions. One of them was 'what is ASMV?' and I was like 'dafuq?' inside but well, I thought I can't lose because of something like that. Fortunately the guy wasn't clever enough and in the previous question he sent me an 'ASMV' by loosecontrol to write about so I though 'yea, some non-existent YT stuff, right'. Later as I succeded to get into the staff, I signed up to the site and there were categories of AMVs.... 'ASMV' YAY!
Deleted it a second later and replaced it with Story.

(btw, when I was talking to the guy once - he's the main admin - and sent him RenaSun's Externalize he said he didn't like it cause he doesn't like this show xDDDDDDDDD)
Centurione

Postby ibabrak » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:46 am

Centurione wrote:(btw, when I was talking to the guy once - he's the main admin - and sent him RenaSun's Externalize he said he didn't like it cause he doesn't like this show xDDDDDDDDD)

Haha, Yeah! I've heard many people judge amvs like that just because they don't understand what it takes to make an amv. Welp, I guess ignorance is a blessing.

As for the ASMVs. As everyone here basically said, I agree that it is an useless creation of someone just wanting attention. :dino:
ImageImage
ibabrak

Postby Emerald Mercy » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:53 am

As an AMV judge, I see them as AMVs, as long as they fit the definition of being >50% music content for the audio length, with >50% anime content for the video length.

The problem is that many of these ASMVs do not make it as far as your 3:00 AMVs. I acknowledge them as AMVs, but when ranked alongside other AMVs, they fail miserably. If I were to edit the ranking system and make it tailored to ASMVs then they would also have their own rankings, probably based more on story, narration, and meaning rather than sync, flow, special effects.

Either case, I do not think I will be judging ASMVs as ASMVs for quite some time. For now, they are judged the same as any other AMV.

These are my thoughts on the subject.

Thinking of you,

-Emerald Mercy
Emerald Mercy

Postby Emerald Mercy » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:00 am

ibabrak wrote:
Centurione wrote:(btw, when I was talking to the guy once - he's the main admin - and sent him RenaSun's Externalize he said he didn't like it cause he doesn't like this show xDDDDDDDDD)

Haha, Yeah! I've heard many people judge amvs like that just because they don't understand what it takes to make an amv. Welp, I guess ignorance is a blessing.

As for the ASMVs. As everyone here basically said, I agree that it is an useless creation of someone just wanting attention. :dino:

No one should judge an AMV for the music content, or the anime used... doing so ruins the point in AMVs. All you are doing would be judging a personal preference for a song, or a personal preference for an anime. I agree on that aspect... however...

An ASMV is an AMV, but according to the ranking system, not too good of one at best. They fail in sync often, though they have long and tiring flow. Their meaning is their best score, but the special effects dwindle, and perspective often gets hindered. The length is absolutely ridiculous...

All in all, the scores of an ASMV are little compared to their 3:00 AMV counterparts. In any case, based off of the definition of AMVs having a content of mostly music and anime... ASMVs fit within those bounds.

Just some thoughts...

I am still reranking all of the "Top Ranked AMVs" for the playlist... I had a problem with youtube for a bit... the AMVs should be up soon. Nostromo still got #1 though...

Some things don't change...

Thinking of you,

-Emerald Mercy
Emerald Mercy

Return to General AMV