How Long Do You Have to Wait Before Making an AMV

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
ChaosAgentLoki
Org Profile

How Long Do You Have to Wait Before Making an AMV

Post by ChaosAgentLoki » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:40 pm

Okay, hello everyone, I am new here on this site. I've not seen any threads about this, so I thought I'd ask this question. Is there a waiting period before I can get to work on AMVs for new anime? I really want to make some for Devil Survivor 2, Gargantia, Majestic Prince and some others. However, as I'm very new to this, is there a waiting period? Should I play around with older series like Kore Wa Zombie Desu Ka? or Persona 4 The Animation instead while waiting for this 'time period' to expire?

Thank you to anyone who can provide me with an answer. I don't want to be breaking any rules, so I just thought I'd ask.

LantisEscudo
Org Profile

Re: How Long Do You Have to Wait Before Making an AMV

Post by LantisEscudo » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:00 pm

There's no rule about "waiting periods," and we frequently see AMVs to new series come out within a few days of the first episode's broadcast. On the other hand, a good rule of thumb is "wait until you can get clean sources," which generally means waiting until the home video release that doesn't have watermarks.

However, be aware of the rules about discussing downloading footage (mainly, don't ask where to get it). Other than that, make the videos you want to. Have fun, and we hope to see some of your work in the future.

ChaosAgentLoki
Org Profile

Post by ChaosAgentLoki » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:25 pm

LantisEscudo wrote:There's no rule about "waiting periods," and we frequently see AMVs to new series come out within a few days of the first episode's broadcast. On the other hand, a good rule of thumb is "wait until you can get clean sources," which generally means waiting until the home video release that doesn't have watermarks.

However, be aware of the rules about discussing downloading footage (mainly, don't ask where to get it). Other than that, make the videos you want to. Have fun, and we hope to see some of your work in the future.
I have read the rules and understand that downloading is taboo. Thank you for taking the time to respond though as it helps me to know where to get started.

Ryvannis
Org Profile

Post by Ryvannis » Wed May 08, 2013 6:43 pm

Simply. Go at it when you feel like your happy with your sources and what you have. Or whatever works for you. So as long as you don't have a fansubbed or butchered version of whatever you'd like to use then you'd be fine. It's by recommendation mostly. My latest project involved me waiting till an anime was completed to start because I was not sure of the selection of scenes that I wanted to use. Turns out I could have started a bit earlier as it was really just an unintentional excuse to start late.

It doesn't hurt to start with a short and simple video with a older anime if that's your comfort zone. At least it'll give you an idea of how or when to start your other videos with newer anime.

ChaosAgentLoki
Org Profile

Post by ChaosAgentLoki » Fri May 17, 2013 11:34 pm

Ryvannis wrote:Simply. Go at it when you feel like your happy with your sources and what you have. Or whatever works for you. So as long as you don't have a fansubbed or butchered version of whatever you'd like to use then you'd be fine. It's by recommendation mostly. My latest project involved me waiting till an anime was completed to start because I was not sure of the selection of scenes that I wanted to use. Turns out I could have started a bit earlier as it was really just an unintentional excuse to start late.

It doesn't hurt to start with a short and simple video with a older anime if that's your comfort zone. At least it'll give you an idea of how or when to start your other videos with newer anime.
Thank you for the response. It makes it easier to know where to start.

Return to “General AMV”