This week's ANNCast will feature Brad DeMoss!

This forum is for the general discussion of Anime Music Videos.

Re: This week's ANNCast will feature Brad DeMoss!

Postby XStylus » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:53 am

I think the podcast wasn't that bad. It was more or less some chitchat about ye olden days of yore, which is all well and good. The politely delivered digs regarding AX's past misdeeds stung, but tis' past history.
Sakura Con 2014 - AMV Assistant Coordinator
Anime Expo 2014 - AMV Events Manager

"No margin for error." -Pwolf
"Darkness... is... coming." BZZZT!!! [Crowd ROFLs] -Yuusharo's vid as the power went out.
"Lol! Okay, some margin for error." -Pwolf
XStylus

Postby JudgeHolden » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:38 am

Let's be honest ... Zac was a moron for even trying to argue in the forums. He has been around long enough to predict what was going to happen. It's like he was one of those guys who carries the flag in Warsong and runs straight towards the sea of red, and then bitches that he's now being camped in the graveyard ... :awesome:

This is a perfect example as to why I rarely post anything "controversial" no matter how right I think / know I am. :sweat:
Last edited by JudgeHolden on Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImage
JudgeHolden

Postby XStylus » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:51 am

JudgeHolden wrote:Let's be honest ... Zac was a moron for even trying to argue in the forms. He has been around long enough to predict what was going to happen. It's like he was one of those guys who carries the flag in Warsong and runs straight towards the sea of red, and then bitches that he's now being camped in the graveyard ... :awesome:

Yeah. The forums... ...that thread is a mess. Zac kinda threw fuel on the fire with his responses, but I didn't really see much in the podcast worth ya'll getting in a tizzy over in the first place. :P

"Darkness... is... coming." BZZZT!!! [Crowd ROFLs] -Yuusharo's vid as the power went out.
XStylus

Postby Ijexis » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:36 pm

I am only saddened about the "creatively bankrupt" statements, I like to be as creative with whatever endeavors I partake in. The interviewer just depresses me immensely...

"I've never seen anything that seems like it was designed more than just getting chuckles out of the audience."

Wow...I think I am going to go cry in a corner...
Ijexis

Postby GloryQuestor » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:48 am

Since it hasn't been brought up, Brad DeMoss is actually responsible for one very key thing: Episode I is considered historically the very first Trailer video. Surprisingly but true, no one did a trailer AMV before it. It also was the video that started the popular Trailer category for conventions when AWA classified it as such 12 years ago.
( :| Serious Business Studios :| )
Website Administrator, AnimeMusicVideos.Org
Pittsburgh Japanese Culture Society Events - AMV Department Head
Anime Weekend Atlanta - Video Art Track Department Supervisor
Another Anime Convention - Fan-Works Theater Staff
ImageImage
GloryQuestor
Moderation Hero

Postby Mr Pilkington » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:17 pm

wuwu >
<Orwell> WTF are they doing upstairs. Almost sounds like construction
<[Kristyrat]> Orwell, you see / <[Kristyrat]> when a man really likes a woman / <[Kristyrat]> or has a bottle of chloroform
<inthesto> He takes her stuff / <inthesto> And then poops in her vagina
Mr Pilkington

Postby Seijin_Dinger » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:43 pm

Ijexis wrote:I am only saddened about the "creatively bankrupt" statements, I like to be as creative with whatever endeavors I partake in. The interviewer just depresses me immensely...

"I've never seen anything that seems like it was designed more than just getting chuckles out of the audience."

Wow...I think I am going to go cry in a corner...

Not worth your tears
Sakura-Con AMV Contest 2005-2012, Vice Chairman 2013-2014
Seijin_Dinger
Moron #69

Postby Seijin_Dinger » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:34 pm

xstylus wrote:I think the podcast wasn't that bad. It was more or less some chitchat about ye olden days of yore, which is all well and good. The politely delivered digs regarding AX's past misdeeds stung, but tis' past history.

Honestly learning from the past is needed, if it stings, look at how to continue to improve the contest so that the past stays in the past.
Sakura-Con AMV Contest 2005-2012, Vice Chairman 2013-2014
Seijin_Dinger
Moron #69

Postby SailorDeath » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:09 pm

Seijin_Dinger wrote:Honestly learning from the past is needed, if it stings, look at how to continue to improve the contest so that the past stays in the past.

I'll say it, I can honestly say that I suck as much now at making amvs as I did in 1999 when I first made amvs for Anime Central 1999. Not my first video, I made one back in 1994 before I even knew that AMVs were a thing (and have lost that video since :cry: ). But My videos have had the same consistency and are just as shitty as the day I started.

I think I may need to rectify that for 2013. I can't troll a contest if everyone can recognise my shitty videos.
Gimme a minute, I'll make a cool one....
SailorDeath

Postby outlawed » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:19 pm

It's a wonderful thing that so many of the denizens of this site are supportive of "AMV community" members that they may have had some minor issues with over the years or a difference of opinion. Going out of your way to avoid airing past grievances and minor quibbles in the greater name of support for AMV creators as a whole is just good PR. That's obviously the #1 reason new creators find their way to this site and want to participate at animemusicvideos.org
outlawed

Postby Brakus » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:19 am

I must have autism or Asperger's, because I totally missed the sarcasm in outlawed's post. Either that or he was really being genuinely sincere.

I thought the interview went OK, and I think Brad DeMoss held his own quite fine. Unfortunately I don't think he may have swayed Zac's opinion of the AMV hobby -- and quite frankly, the behavior of some of you about this didn't help in that matter. Zac and Justin are good people, but it's just best to take their opinions with a grain of salt. Lord knows they've been wrong about many things before.
~BRAKUS~
Defying the future one step at a time....
Brakus

Postby XStylus » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:08 pm

Brakus wrote:I must have autism or Asperger's, because I totally missed the sarcasm in outlawed's post. Either that or he was really being genuinely sincere.

I thought the interview went OK, and I think Brad DeMoss held his own quite fine. Unfortunately I don't think he may have swayed Zac's opinion of the AMV hobby -- and quite frankly, the behavior of some of you about this didn't help in that matter. Zac and Justin are good people, but it's just best to take their opinions with a grain of salt. Lord knows they've been wrong about many things before.

I've always had high respect for Zac's interviews and I continue to, but in this case do think he chose his words poorly here. Interesting thing though is that I totally get what Zac was getting at. I think what he meant was "Where's the originality? Where's the substance?" rather than the somewhat stinging "Is this creative?" comment. I do think there's meaningful discussions to be had on those two questions, but the one that got asked unfortunately can be taken pretty insultingly.

I'd loved to have had a conversation between him, Vlad, and myself on the topic of AMVs (I was days away from contacting him about it when this came up), but looks like that's unlikely to happen anytime soon now.

XStylus

Postby Brad » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:53 pm

Wait.. what?
Ask Brad an After Effects Question! - Forum - Site
Brad

Postby Fall_Child42 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:46 am

xstylus wrote:I'd loved to have had a conversation between him, Vlad, and myself on the topic of AMVs (I was days away from contacting him about it when this came up), but looks like that's unlikely to happen anytime soon now.

you know it's not like Zac hasn't made his position on AMVs incredibly clear multiple time before hand.
This is not a man that is curious to see why people make AMVs and just doesn't get it himself, this is a man that has an active hatred towards the fandom and conducted the interview as such.

Even if Brad and everyone that responded on the ANN forums was incredibly polite in the face of someone belittling them constantly, I doubt there would have been follow up AMV interviews anyway.

This entire thing reminded me of a Bill O'Rilley interview on fox news. An interview where Bill already hates whatever his guest is an expert it and then begins to talk down to his guest and contradict everything they say. Logic and reasonable arguments be damned.

oh Fox News, making others think terrible interviews are Okie Dokie.

I say what you should do is have a conversation with yourself, Brad, and Vlad about AMVs and leave the angry guy out of it. It would likely be much better conducted and full of more information.

but hell if everyone still wants to get all crazy over this thing, please do! I'm finding the whole thing Hilarious!

Hail Eris!
Fall_Child42
has a rock

Postby Brad » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:10 pm

Maybe it's cause I've never heard of ANNCast or know who this Zac guy is, but... why was him saying negative things about AMV's so terrible? Admittedly I haven't listened to the podcast but what I've gleamed from this thread and the one on ANN, it seems like it was structured to be "we're gonna talk to this one guy about this hobby and share what we think (as little as that may be)" and not a "we're going to act as an all-knowing authority and tell people across the globe the biting truth about the AMV community, history, present and future" or whatever. I guess I don't see the point in getting so upset over it. Or is ANNCast like a huge major deal (though.. I dunno.. even if it was I still wouldn't totally get it)? If he IS a Bill O'Reilly type figure... so what?
Ask Brad an After Effects Question! - Forum - Site
Brad

PreviousNext

Return to General AMV