What makes you think about editing the most?

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
slimed
Org Profile

Re: What makes you think about editing the most?

Post by slimed » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:58 am

pacotacoshell wrote:I gotta say music. The past 2 months whenever I've listened to a song, I subconsciously try to fit a concept into it. I dunno if that's just me >.>
i do the same thing, it's actually kind of a bad habit at this point. otherwise, while watching anime i tend to pick out scenes that would be ideal for editing.

irriadin
BUBBLES!
Org Profile

Post by irriadin » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:01 pm

As others say, it's all about music. Though lately, I've found myself taking inspiration from digital art and media. Different combinations of colors, compositing techniques, etc.

machina21
Org Profile

Post by machina21 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:08 pm

irriadin wrote:As others say, it's all about music. Though lately, I've found myself taking inspiration from digital art and media. Different combinations of colors, compositing techniques, etc.
Same here, I find myself buying artbooks and wanting to mimic various artstyles that I see.
"Not everyone can become a great artist, but a great artist can come from anywhere."

ibabrak
Org Profile

Post by ibabrak » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:18 pm

Ideas pop into my head either when I'm listening to music while doing something manual (when I play games once in a while I don't usually even know what song is currently playing) or when I'm watching anime. I try to connect those two and find as many ideas and scenes in my head as possible
ImageImage

ngsilver
The Old School Otaku
Org Profile

Post by ngsilver » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:40 pm

While a movie will often put me in the mood to edit (or write depending) it's music that generally inspires me to edit, creates new ides, or surfaces old ideas and memories. The music influences my mood as well, which alters the kind of videos I am in the mood to work on.
ImageImageImageImage

sayWut
Org Profile

Post by sayWut » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:52 pm

Ileia wrote:
I watch TV shows/movies on my second monitor (which is at a 45 degree angle) while I'm doing other things on my main one. I can hear it and see it in my peripheral vision, so I know what's happening without it needing my full attention. I'm doing it right now, actually. :lol:
exactly like me! im always watching something on the monitor beside me whilst, well doing anything on the monitor in front of me, feels good man.

Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:08 pm

I just like background noise. My TV is located in the living room behind me so I like to turn that on but I can't actually watch anything, lol.

DriftRoot
Org Profile

Post by DriftRoot » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:16 am

Music. Music is an auditory experience, first and foremost, and "editing" would be the process by which I tried to attach visuals to that experience. Music creates emotions and ideas which are totally unique in my head, and that is what I enjoy most about making AMVs: taking what's in my head and trying to duplicate and share that with others. Consequently, it's extremely easy for me to hear a song that conjures really strong ideas and in the next nanosecond be thinking "How can I make an AMV out of this? What anime can I use?" I guess you also could argue that, in most cases, the music in AMVs remains the most true to the source material. The anime we bend and twist to all sorts of purposes and shovel on all kinds of effects, but the music is usually left in its original state.

I haven't ever really watched an anime series and then thought "How can I make an AMV out of this? What song can I use?" Anime doesn't inspire the same kneejerk reaction to think about editing, perhaps because it's too visual. It's hard for me to take someone else's "editing" and ideas, process it and come up with a new idea that will create new visuals or attempt to capture the essence of the original. Kind of feels like when I need to do math, my brain just kind of goes "derp." Wipe the slate clean with music, though, switch to the other side of my brain, and I have no problems whatsoever. :D

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:51 pm

While I have several anime that I'd like to make videos for, without a song for them I can't even start think of editing.

pinkhearter13
Org Profile

Post by pinkhearter13 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:00 pm

I feel like both of anime and music kind of work together for me. If they run across each other and suddenly just match, my head explodes, and I want to start editing. :D Although, usually I don't get the idea explosion until I listen to the music (after having watched the anime), so I guess music plays the bigger part.

When I've already chosen a concept, which takes the longest time ever >.>, I visualize most of the editing process by sitting in the car or taking a shower... Or at 5 in the morning while I'm asleep, I get this "EDIT-OR-DIE" feeling, and somehow that feeling wakes me up and I have to get started. :roll:

Return to “General AMV”