What makes you think about editing the most?

This forum is for the general discussion of Anime Music Videos.

What makes you think about editing the most?

Postby gotegenks » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:51 pm

music, or movies/tv (or any visual source), or something else entirely.

i think about editing more with music, but also when i'm riding in a car and looking out the window.
gotegenks

Re: What makes you think about editing the most?

Postby JaddziaDax » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:52 pm

music
JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!

Postby Pwolf » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:12 pm

music
ImageImage
ImageImage
Like the AMV .Org App? Think about donating to help me make it better.
Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle

Postby dj_ultima_the_great » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:18 pm

Taken from a "Statement of Style" I wrote in a creative writing class a year ago. Replace "writing" with "AMVs" and "editing."

I rarely invest much thought into my motivation behind writing. No, my pen hand isn't connected to my lungs. If I stop writing, I will not die. It's not a place to release all of my most inner thoughts. I am not fueled by any blazing passion or desire. Most of my genius thoughts float up to the surface somewhere between “Well, if the Pringles can has cardboard sides and a metal bottom, does that mean it goes with the tin... or the cardboard?” and “Lather. Rinse. Repeat,” when I am nowhere near a convenient pad of paper or keyboard – and I most often allow these thoughts to slip away, maybe to rise up again during a heated debate with a friend.

So to connect this to the thread, I think about editing the most in the shower or when I'm doing similar things completely unrelated to editing - and more often than not, the thought/idea flies away before I can pin it down.
dj_ultima_the_great

Postby BasharOfTheAges » Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:32 pm

Music, because I can listen to it passively. I can't really passively watch TV. I can't even picture what passively watching something would be like - it'd be too similar to not watching something to really tell the difference.

I can also end up getting a song stuck in my head easily, so it's like it's always kinda there, playing back.
BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?

Postby Ileia » Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:37 pm

BasharOfTheAges wrote:I can't even picture what passively watching something would be like - it'd be too similar to not watching something to really tell the difference.

I watch TV shows/movies on my second monitor (which is at a 45 degree angle) while I'm doing other things on my main one. I can hear it and see it in my peripheral vision, so I know what's happening without it needing my full attention. I'm doing it right now, actually. :lol:
Ileia
CornDog Whisperer

Postby BasharOfTheAges » Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:49 pm

Ileia wrote:
BasharOfTheAges wrote:I can't even picture what passively watching something would be like - it'd be too similar to not watching something to really tell the difference.

I watch TV shows/movies on my second monitor (which is at a 45 degree angle) while I'm doing other things on my main one. I can hear it and see it in my peripheral vision, so I know what's happening without it needing my full attention. I'm doing it right now, actually. :lol:

It's probably just me. If I'm not paying attention to something (well enough to be quizzed on it afterwards), I don't feel like I'm watching it... the weird thing is, I can pay attention to music AND do another thing at once.
BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?

Postby Phantasmagoriat » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:48 pm

I have to break the trend and say Anime.

Even though that's not true for me, I know it is for some people.
Org Profile | AMVGuide | Phan Picks! | THE424SHOW | YouTube | "Galactic Escape"

"Effort to Understand; Effort to be Understood; to See through Different Eyes."
Phantasmagoriat

Postby M'o'l » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:07 am

por...eerr music, then it's good to find some fittin' sauce.
GO MAGIC CARP USE SPLASH ATTACK.
M'o'l
Strawberry Pie

Postby pacotacoshell » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:35 am

I gotta say music. The past 2 months whenever I've listened to a song, I subconsciously try to fit a concept into it. I dunno if that's just me >.>
pacotacoshell

Postby slimed » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:58 am

pacotacoshell wrote:I gotta say music. The past 2 months whenever I've listened to a song, I subconsciously try to fit a concept into it. I dunno if that's just me >.>

i do the same thing, it's actually kind of a bad habit at this point. otherwise, while watching anime i tend to pick out scenes that would be ideal for editing.
slimed
Kardashian

Postby irriadin » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:01 pm

As others say, it's all about music. Though lately, I've found myself taking inspiration from digital art and media. Different combinations of colors, compositing techniques, etc.
irriadin
BUBBLES!

Postby machina21 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:08 pm

irriadin wrote:As others say, it's all about music. Though lately, I've found myself taking inspiration from digital art and media. Different combinations of colors, compositing techniques, etc.

Same here, I find myself buying artbooks and wanting to mimic various artstyles that I see.
"Not everyone can become a great artist, but a great artist can come from anywhere."
machina21

Postby ibabrak » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:18 pm

Ideas pop into my head either when I'm listening to music while doing something manual (when I play games once in a while I don't usually even know what song is currently playing) or when I'm watching anime. I try to connect those two and find as many ideas and scenes in my head as possible
ImageImage
ibabrak

Postby ngsilver » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:40 pm

While a movie will often put me in the mood to edit (or write depending) it's music that generally inspires me to edit, creates new ides, or surfaces old ideas and memories. The music influences my mood as well, which alters the kind of videos I am in the mood to work on.
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ngsilver
The Hookah Guy

Next

Return to General AMV