What really makes a good editor? Or a good AMV...

This forum is for the general discussion of Anime Music Videos.

Re: What really makes a good editor? Or a good AMV...

Postby Castor Troy » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:50 am

JudgeHolden wrote:Castor Troy ... /thread. |:>


:awesome: |:>

I'm actually considering running a panel at AX about what goes into winning amvs. Keep the responses going. :)
Image
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone
User avatar
Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
 
Joined: 16 Jan 2001
Location: California
Status: Retired from AMVs

Re: What really makes a good editor? Or a good AMV...

Postby l33tmeatwad » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:44 pm

Castor Troy wrote:
JudgeHolden wrote:Castor Troy ... /thread. |:>


:awesome: |:>

I'm actually considering running a panel at AX about what goes into winning amvs. Keep the responses going. :)

I think calling it "good AMVs" would be a better approach, because sometimes BAD AMVs can win contests, lol...(I could name examples from over the years, but that would be rude...)
Guides, Scripts, & Software: AMV 101 | AMVpack | AviSynth 101 | Anime Upscale
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Facebook | Tumblr | Twitter | YouTube
User avatar
l33tmeatwad
 
Joined: 16 Feb 2005
Location: Charleston, SC
Status: Trolling

Re: What really makes a good editor? Or a good AMV...

Postby gotegenks » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:45 pm

^maybe his panel isn't about how to make good amvs, but literally how to make a winning amv without giving a fuck about how good it is :P
Image
User avatar
gotegenks
 
Joined: 03 Oct 2009
Location: charlesgood, california

Re: What really makes a good editor? Or a good AMV...

Postby Ikore » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:18 am

l33tmeatwad wrote:
Castor Troy wrote:
JudgeHolden wrote:Castor Troy ... /thread. |:>


:awesome: |:>

I'm actually considering running a panel at AX about what goes into winning amvs. Keep the responses going. :)

I think calling it "good AMVs" would be a better approach, because sometimes BAD AMVs can win contests, lol...(I could name examples from over the years, but that would be rude...)
after all good or bad is something defined by perception. thereare a lot of people going crazy with Justin Bieber amvs. :uhoh:

so, Good anime. Good music.

after 4 years, my answer is still and will ever be the same.
SING! Never mind the words!!!
User avatar
Ikore
 
Joined: 06 Sep 2007
Location: Costa Rica.
Status: Alive


Re: What really makes a good editor? Or a good AMV...

Postby l33tmeatwad » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:54 am

Ikore wrote:after all good or bad is something defined by perception.

I'm referring to bad editing, as in sloppy, poorly done, and completely trashy looking videos (regardless of the video and audio sources).
Guides, Scripts, & Software: AMV 101 | AMVpack | AviSynth 101 | Anime Upscale
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Facebook | Tumblr | Twitter | YouTube
User avatar
l33tmeatwad
 
Joined: 16 Feb 2005
Location: Charleston, SC
Status: Trolling

Re: What really makes a good editor? Or a good AMV...

Postby Ikore » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:52 am

l33tmeatwad wrote:
Ikore wrote:after all good or bad is something defined by perception.

I'm referring to bad editing, as in sloppy, poorly done, and completely trashy looking videos (regardless of the video and audio sources).
and Im referring to people who will see those AMVs as "AWESOME" even when they're lame for us.

Standards can be set and you can be really skillful, but personal preferences will define your approval over what you like, and that will be consired good; you may set your mind to tell you that sloppy amv are the worst of this world, or you can think than only narutoball 3d zshipwhateverbleachwillbenamed are good, what is good for me can be bad for other, It's like Oscars and Cannes.
SING! Never mind the words!!!
User avatar
Ikore
 
Joined: 06 Sep 2007
Location: Costa Rica.
Status: Alive

Re: What really makes a good editor? Or a good AMV...

Postby l33tmeatwad » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:54 am

Ikore wrote:
l33tmeatwad wrote:
Ikore wrote:after all good or bad is something defined by perception.

I'm referring to bad editing, as in sloppy, poorly done, and completely trashy looking videos (regardless of the video and audio sources).
and Im referring to people who will see those AMVs as "AWESOME" even when they're lame for us.

Standards can be set and you can be really skillful, but personal preferences will define your approval over what you like, and that will be consired good; you may set your mind to tell you that sloppy amv are the worst of this world, or you can think than only narutoball 3d zshipwhateverbleachwillbenamed are good, what is good for me can be bad for other, It's like Oscars and Cannes.

If there is no bad, there is no good, so it's a pointless argument then, why did you even respond :ying:
Guides, Scripts, & Software: AMV 101 | AMVpack | AviSynth 101 | Anime Upscale
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Facebook | Tumblr | Twitter | YouTube
User avatar
l33tmeatwad
 
Joined: 16 Feb 2005
Location: Charleston, SC
Status: Trolling

Re: What really makes a good editor? Or a good AMV...

Postby Ikore » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:57 am

l33tmeatwad wrote:
Ikore wrote:
l33tmeatwad wrote:I'm referring to bad editing, as in sloppy, poorly done, and completely trashy looking videos (regardless of the video and audio sources).
and Im referring to people who will see those AMVs as "AWESOME" even when they're lame for us.

Standards can be set and you can be really skillful, but personal preferences will define your approval over what you like, and that will be consired good; you may set your mind to tell you that sloppy amv are the worst of this world, or you can think than only narutoball 3d zshipwhateverbleachwillbenamed are good, what is good for me can be bad for other, It's like Oscars and Cannes.

If there is no bad, there is no good, so it's a pointless argument then, why did you even respond :ying:
I like to write. :beer:
SING! Never mind the words!!!
User avatar
Ikore
 
Joined: 06 Sep 2007
Location: Costa Rica.
Status: Alive

Re: What really makes a good editor? Or a good AMV...

Postby BasharOfTheAges » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:58 am

Clearly all academic study of food, art, music, and cinema is pointless. We should just line up all those professional critics against a wall and let the firing squad at them, cause they're clearly not a benefit to society. I mean, hell, anyone could do their job and be equally right.
User avatar
BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
 
Joined: 14 Sep 2004
Location: Merrimack, NH
Status: Extreeeeeeeeeme

Re: What really makes a good editor? Or a good AMV...

Postby Ikore » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:05 pm

BasharOfTheAges wrote:We should just line up all those professional critics against a wall and let the firing squad at them, cause they're clearly not a benefit to society. I mean, hell, anyone could do their job and be equally right.
that would be awesome. I have never understand why we pay someone to tell us what is good or bad.

BasharOfTheAges wrote:Clearly all academic study of food, art, music, and cinema is pointless.
so what's the point, are ancient art schools set for people to like something?

they exist to teach, they have gathered thousands years of knowledge for people to improve, not to create a bird's cage where "good artists" will sit and feel comfortable or to invite new fellows to reach our beautiful zone, where our own rules dictates standards and anything outside of that will be "bad".

Art is appreciation, not a mathematical formula, I shouldn't limit myself at making amv because snobs will tell me "is bad".

The best artists keep doing what they feel is right, true and fulfilling.
Everyone around them just has to figure out what the artist is doing and enjoy it.


Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. No one on this website has released a video that everyone loves. As long as you got all of the technical aspects of your video in check, you should feel free to express yourself in anyway possible.


Quino an Argentine cartoonist dropped Arts School, he was told not to be skillful enough, yet he developed his own style and he is now one of the most sucessful cartoonist of America. Academy studies will give you bases, not an always "good" on your spectator, and they shouldn't kill an artist because he doesn't fit in their glorious mold.

Yet we can analize someone's video and provide him with our point of view, using our own "good", he will decide if he takes it or not, as well as we have taken some advices and forgot about others; studies could state whatever, people too, but we will do only what we like, what we consider good, an artitst is the only one who should set his own standards.
SING! Never mind the words!!!
User avatar
Ikore
 
Joined: 06 Sep 2007
Location: Costa Rica.
Status: Alive


Re: What really makes a good editor? Or a good AMV...

Postby BasharOfTheAges » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:40 pm

Ikore wrote:
BasharOfTheAges wrote:We should just line up all those professional critics against a wall and let the firing squad at them, cause they're clearly not a benefit to society. I mean, hell, anyone could do their job and be equally right.
that would be awesome. I have never understand why we pay someone to tell us what is good or bad.

BasharOfTheAges wrote:Clearly all academic study of food, art, music, and cinema is pointless.
so what's the point, are ancient art schools set for people to like something?

they exist to teach, they have gathered thousands years of knowledge for people to improve, not to create a bird's cage where "good artists" will sit and feel comfortable or to invite new fellows to reach our beautiful zone, where our own rules dictates standards and anything outside of that will be "bad".

Art is appreciation, not a mathematical formula, I shouldn't limit myself at making amv because snobs will tell me "is bad".

Nice strawman, but I never claimed it to be. The mere fact that we, as a species, independent of cultural quirks, accept that some people are qualified enough to be critics and have things like art schools is because, despite what you've been led to believe, consensus is that quality is not 100% subjective.
User avatar
BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
 
Joined: 14 Sep 2004
Location: Merrimack, NH
Status: Extreeeeeeeeeme

Re: What really makes a good editor? Or a good AMV...

Postby Ikore » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:56 pm

BasharOfTheAges wrote:The mere fact that we, as a species, independent of cultural quirks, accept that some people are qualified enough to be critics
and have people elected as politicians too, it doesn't make them a necessary part of society either :awesome:

BasharOfTheAges wrote:consensus is that quality is not 100% subjective.
people may love to eat shit if they want to, ask twilight.

The point is about "like", what is 100% subjective, not about better or worst production or quality, and yet consensus is just a common agreement "we all think it is good", and what people think is always subjective, it's not mathematics.

quality is just a bunch of steps that lead to a final product suitable to certain standards, that doesn't make it good, it makes it acceptable to our rules. Good is a matter of perception.

what I´m getting from that stuff "hey we have this set of rules for you to do a good amv, and if you don't follow them it's going to suck" and I don't like that. I don't agree that amv or any kind of art should be caged on a single line of manufacturing. I just need good anime and good music, a good edition only makes me more attracted to it. :up:
SING! Never mind the words!!!
User avatar
Ikore
 
Joined: 06 Sep 2007
Location: Costa Rica.
Status: Alive

Re: What really makes a good editor? Or a good AMV...

Postby BasharOfTheAges » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:31 pm

Ikore wrote:
BasharOfTheAges wrote:The mere fact that we, as a species, independent of cultural quirks, accept that some people are qualified enough to be critics
and have people elected as politicians too, it doesn't make them a necessary part of society either :awesome:

BasharOfTheAges wrote:consensus is that quality is not 100% subjective.
people may love to eat shit if they want to, ask twilight.

The point is about "like", what is 100% subjective, not about better or worst production or quality, and yet consensus is just a common agreement "we all think it is good", and what people think is always subjective, it's not mathematics.

quality is just a bunch of steps that lead to a final product suitable to certain standards, that doesn't make it good, it makes it acceptable to our rules. Good is a matter of perception.

what I´m getting from that stuff "hey we have this set of rules for you to do a good amv, and if you don't follow them it's going to suck" and I don't like that. I don't agree that amv or any kind of art should be caged on a single line of manufacturing. I just need good anime and good music, a good edition only makes me more attracted to it. :up:

I can't even make sense of your incoherent rambling.

I'm saying you're wrong. I'm not saying it's black and white AND you're wrong. You seem unable to grasp the shades of grey and keep insisting on using a strawman argument (of 100% objectivity being the only other option) that I'm certainly not making.

There are things collectively understood to be marks of quality - if there were not, you wouldn't have people going to school to learn about and obtain degrees in artistic fields. There would be nothing to teach.
User avatar
BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
 
Joined: 14 Sep 2004
Location: Merrimack, NH
Status: Extreeeeeeeeeme

PreviousNext

Return to General AMV

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests