I need to vent, so pardon me.

This forum is for the general discussion of Anime Music Videos.

Re: I need to vent, so pardon me.

Postby AceD » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:18 pm

Honestly, editing completely aside....you need to man the fuck up....
User avatar
AceD
I AM THE BEST
 
Joined: 07 Dec 2002
Status: Lurking

Re: I need to vent, so pardon me.

Postby ngsilver » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:27 pm

TBH, while I don't think your video is exactly bad, I've seen a lot worse, I wouldn't say I completely enjoyed it. The song, source, and editing just didn't draw me in. I wasn't invested in the story or mood of the video. I watched through it just for the sake of being able to say I did so. Points already provided are probably the cause, but in the end it just wasn't a video for me.

I think that's the real name of the game here. Not everyone is going to enjoy your video, and you should be glad that these users cared enough about this video to provide you with pointers on it, rather then just not saying anything. They want you to improve so the can see things they would like to see from you.

In the end it's up to you how you take this criticism. Sadly, at the moment I hate to say you haven't been taking it all that well. If you don't agree with it, don't agree with it. Keep making vids you wanna make. Just don't expect everyone to like them, you'll be sorely disappointed.
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
User avatar
ngsilver
The Hookah Guy
 
Joined: 28 Jun 2003
Location: Detroit area
Status: Calm Your Miniature Colorful Horses

Re: I need to vent, so pardon me.

Postby gotegenks » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:36 pm

AceD wrote:Honestly, editing completely aside....you need to man the fuck up....
Image
User avatar
gotegenks
 
Joined: 03 Oct 2009
Location: charlesgood, california

Re: I need to vent, so pardon me.

Postby KidEgo » Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:04 am

Oh gee, maybe if I used Linkin Park or Nickelback or some modern stuff like that for the gazillionth time I'd be getting better feedback on here. Also, somebody on YouTube told me that my video made them want to check out the movie, and that's one of the best comments I ever got on any of my videos.
All my haters:I'm awesome, and you're just jealous and biased elitists. Fuck you very much.
And I still say CASSHERN SINS SUCKS ASS!!!!
KidEgo
 
Joined: 12 Jan 2008

Re: I need to vent, so pardon me.

Postby Pwolf » Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:36 am

KidEgo wrote:Oh gee, maybe if I used Linkin Park or Nickelback or some modern stuff like that for the gazillionth time I'd be getting better feedback on here.


If your editing was better, you'd get better feedback. It doesn't matter what the source is.
ImageImage
ImageImage
Like the AMV .Org App? Think about donating to help me make it better.
User avatar
Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
 
Joined: 03 May 2001
Location: Some where in California, I forgot :\

Re: I need to vent, so pardon me.

Postby Ileia » Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:51 am

Different strokes for different folks. If people don't like your video, you can't force them to like it. You don't have to agree, though, so if you really feel that they're wrong and your video is fine, that's the end of it, you move on. You don't really get anywhere by trying to convince them that they are wrong or turning it into "You just don't like it because it's not this anime or that song."
User avatar
Ileia
CornDog Whisperer
 
Joined: 09 Aug 2004
Location: On teh Z-drive, CornDog
Status: ....to completion

Re: I need to vent, so pardon me.

Postby KidEgo » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:02 am

I'm not trying to force anyone to like anything, I'm just trying to back up my statements. Hey, I could've just acted childish and called everybody that slammed it a piece of shit, but I didn't, did I? But seriously, what were they expecting? A video with lots of explosions and fight scenes? If I wanted a video like that I would have used a speed metal or thrash metal song. But that's not what this is, it's a video about the painful romance between the two protagonists of the film. It's not meant to be fast paced or have quick edits or quick cuts or anything.
All my haters:I'm awesome, and you're just jealous and biased elitists. Fuck you very much.
And I still say CASSHERN SINS SUCKS ASS!!!!
KidEgo
 
Joined: 12 Jan 2008

Re: I need to vent, so pardon me.

Postby KidEgo » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:04 am

Plus having someone tell me that my video made them want to check out the movie makes me feel like I've accomplished something and made something special and makes me scratch my head and go "WTF" at the feedback I'm getting from most people here even more.
All my haters:I'm awesome, and you're just jealous and biased elitists. Fuck you very much.
And I still say CASSHERN SINS SUCKS ASS!!!!
KidEgo
 
Joined: 12 Jan 2008

Re: I need to vent, so pardon me.

Postby lloyd9988 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:50 am

You are not the world's most astounding editor that has made the world crawl onto its knees and praise your every AMV. You are not the most talented editor on the internet that can make Godix impressed, you are like every other editor that stumbles in here saying that they have made an awesome video and shows it off to everyone because they made a video to gain recognition, not because they aimed to make the video better. :/

Thus, when someone said that the video you made did not meet their standards, you took it personally because you were expecting everyone to stroke your ego rather than him giving you ACTUAL criticism on the video. Grow some balls, take it like a man and get out of here :/

Come here next time when you want to make your AMV better, not when you want to get your ego stroked. :amv:
~Yo~
User avatar
lloyd9988
 
Joined: 15 May 2011
Location: AZ
Status: Yeahhhhh......

Re: I need to vent, so pardon me.

Postby lloyd9988 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:44 am

lloyd9988 wrote:You are not the world's most astounding editor that has made the world crawl onto its knees and praise your every AMV. You are not the most talented editor on the internet that can make Godix impressed, you are like every other editor that stumbles in here saying that they have made an awesome video and shows it off to everyone because they made a video to gain recognition, not because they aimed to make the video better. :/

Thus, when someone said that the video you made did not meet their standards, you took it personally because you were expecting everyone to stroke your ego rather than him giving you ACTUAL criticism on the video. Grow some balls, take it like a man and get out of here :/

Come here next time when you want to make your AMV better, not when you want to get your ego stroked. :amv:


Excuse me for my words(And double post), I tend to get flipid from time to time :sweat: Anyway, to put it into nicer terms, I feel that your just not use to criticism which is quite normal for youtube editors. xD Honestly, same thing happened to me when I was first criticized about my video :sweat: (FYI, you don't even wanna KNOW what happened when I got a beta tester) xD <--- Oh Lord, it was horrible that I can't even believe it happened. But, yeah, to us, these small details matter because we care about our videos a lot. Sometimes, we care about them so much that we work months on them just so they will look amazing and to make sure there aren't any mistakes. xD (I'm probably exaggerating a bit, but that's how I feel) Anyway, someone already wrote it, but I think you should read it again to get a better understanding of where we're coming from :P


Castor Troy wrote:You need to understand that YouTube is more of an "audience" based crowed and a-m-v.org is more of an "editor" based crowd. We tend to take things more seriously here in hopes of helping each other improve.

Lip flap isn't a crime, but in my opinion, the way it looks in your video really kills the flow. You don't have to listen to my opinion if you feel that the youtube crowd is more correct. If you feel that it works in your video, then more power to you. If you're proud of it, then that's all that should matter, right?


What we're saying is your video looks shitty to us. However, we're also saying that there's always room for improvement and that, no matter how amazing a video looks to you, your always gonna have haters. :P Just the way of the world, and, honestly, its just something we all need to get use to. xD Just remember, that even though the criticism sounds harsh right now, their opinion is useful because it may be a factor you overlooked in your AMV that you can apply to future AMVs. So, instead of venting about it, just look at the criticism given to you and see if there's a way to fix the video and future videos so you won't get criticized about it later on. :P
~Yo~
User avatar
lloyd9988
 
Joined: 15 May 2011
Location: AZ
Status: Yeahhhhh......

Re: I need to vent, so pardon me.

Postby EvaFan » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:11 am

The org has a higher percentage of actual editors vs viewers than youtube does. Most people who watch your video here are going to either have some basic editing knowledge or alot of AMV experience and with that comes higher standards for enjoying amvs (usually) because they know what works and what doesn't. Most people cruising along on youtube watching amvs are just viewers with no editing/AMV knowledge and have very low standards. It's alot easier to enjoy an amv not knowing how to edit because you don't get a sense of "well that part could have been alot better".

If the criticism bothers you then just use it as fuel for your fire. Make another video and try to make it better and show what your actually capable, prove them wrong.

Check any person on the orgs first few videos, a majority of them either flat out sucked or the lack of editing knowledge is very evident. I'm not afraid to admit my first few videos here had a bad reception and I was in your position at first. Then I watched some of the videos on the people's top10 AMV list from the people giving me this kind of feedback and realized they were right. I learned alot just from watching those videos and became better. You can to.

Part of the fun here is becoming a better editor through your peers with critical feedback. Of course you could just ignore the feedback and keep making vids the way you want, no ones forcing you to change but your going to have to deal with those comments. Even well known editors here still receive criticism some times, you can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all of the people all of the time, that applies to people enjoying amv's as well.

Lip flap is something that you learn more as you create and watch amvs. Sometimes it doesn't look good at all and other times it works really well, for example a scene of people around a campfire telling stories while lyrics from the song are playing: "We sat around the fire telling stories, letting out all our worries" would actually fit and make sense for the most part. Random lip flap has the potential to bother alot of amv viewers if there is no correlation with the song or there is no reason behind it atleast. Try making a video without lipflap and I can almost gaurentee you will notice it if you watch that one beside the one you just created.
"The people cannot be [...] always, well informed. The part which is wrong will be discontented, in proportion to [...] the facts they misconceive. If they remain quiet under such misconceptions, it is lethargy, the forerunner of death to public liberty. What country can preserve its liberties, if it's rulers are not warned [...] that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants."-Thomas Jefferson
User avatar
EvaFan
 
Joined: 21 Mar 2004
Location: Somerset, KY
Status: (*゚▽゚)o旦~ ー乾杯ー♪

Re: I need to vent, so pardon me.

Postby Otohiko » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:38 am

Stop apologizing for the .org guys. While I agree that the community at large does have some issues, I don't think the problem here is audience at all, it's the creator's attitude which is immature and egotistical (surprised?).

Look, you have to keep your expectations in check. Set realistic goals. Stop trying to please everybody. Stop trying to "create something great", especially if you're not willing to deal with lip flap or, apparently, much beyond loose lyric sync. This goes well beyond AMVs and this specific audience - any creative endeavour is full of disappointment if you go into it with an expectation to blow over absolutely everybody. I'm not saying one should be cynical or lacking ambition, but realize that you aren't the only creative person out there, and that you are never going to please everybody. Even the most acknowledged artists out there have their critics. Some of the films that I practically worship are dismissed by people I personally know as pretentious and boring. Some of the music I consider life-changing, mind-blowing and virtuostic is something I can never get even a minority of my friends to listen to for longer than 10 minutes. And those are things that I see as great on the scale of human civilization, not on the scale of a small-ish geeky fandom. As for AMVs - some of the most successful and popular editors out there, from Ileia to Nostromo, are under constant criticism, some of it downright nasty and personal. Or here is an example for you - a con where I helped run an AMV panel refused to let us show PencilHead because they thought it was too weird and the audience wouldn't enjoy it. Popular success or aesthetic depth do not mean lack of criticism - it's actually quite the opposite.

Creativity is disappointment if you go out into the public and seek what you might be used to receiving in a narrow circle (e.g. home, school) - praise for how special you are and how awesome everything you do is (or perhaps the opposite - you lack praise elsewhere, so you seek it in creativity). But that's really not how the public creative world works. Go out into it expecting nothing but validation from everybody and you won't get it. And yet what you can do is learn to set goals - the moment you make a video not to create "something great" but to meet specific expectations, learn something new, cater to a niche that hasn't been filled, you may start getting better feedback, especially if you take it graciously and learn to deal with criticism. And sometimes even some of your friends will not like a video that you think is meaningful and well-made. Give that opinion its opportunity to exist, it has no less right to be out there than your "masterpiece". Finally, learn to be humble - and then positive response will actually surprise and please you, and possibly even make your day.
Otohiko
 
Joined: 05 May 2003

Re: I need to vent, so pardon me.

Postby BasharOfTheAges » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:42 am

Oto: laying down the profound. telling it like it is.
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2014 & Head of the AAC Fan-works Theater - follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/AACFanTheater
:sorcerer: :sorcerer: |RD: "Oh, Action!" (side-by-side) | |
User avatar
BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
 
Joined: 14 Sep 2004
Location: Merrimack, NH
Status: Extreeeeeeeeeme

Re: I need to vent, so pardon me.

Postby Shin-AMV » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:28 am

Otohiko wrote:Stop apologizing for the .org guys. While I agree that the community at large does have some issues, I don't think the problem here is audience at all, it's the creator's attitude which is immature and egotistical (surprised?).

Look, you have to keep your expectations in check. Set realistic goals. Stop trying to please everybody. Stop trying to "create something great", especially if you're not willing to deal with lip flap or, apparently, much beyond loose lyric sync. This goes well beyond AMVs and this specific audience - any creative endeavour is full of disappointment if you go into it with an expectation to blow over absolutely everybody. I'm not saying one should be cynical or lacking ambition, but realize that you aren't the only creative person out there, and that you are never going to please everybody. Even the most acknowledged artists out there have their critics. Some of the films that I practically worship are dismissed by people I personally know as pretentious and boring. Some of the music I consider life-changing, mind-blowing and virtuostic is something I can never get even a minority of my friends to listen to for longer than 10 minutes. And those are things that I see as great on the scale of human civilization, not on the scale of a small-ish geeky fandom. As for AMVs - some of the most successful and popular editors out there, from Ileia to Nostromo, are under constant criticism, some of it downright nasty and personal. Or here is an example for you - a con where I helped run an AMV panel refused to let us show PencilHead because they thought it was too weird and the audience wouldn't enjoy it. Popular success or aesthetic depth do not mean lack of criticism - it's actually quite the opposite.

Creativity is disappointment if you go out into the public and seek what you might be used to receiving in a narrow circle (e.g. home, school) - praise for how special you are and how awesome everything you do is (or perhaps the opposite - you lack praise elsewhere, so you seek it in creativity). But that's really not how the public creative world works. Go out into it expecting nothing but validation from everybody and you won't get it. And yet what you can do is learn to set goals - the moment you make a video not to create "something great" but to meet specific expectations, learn something new, cater to a niche that hasn't been filled, you may start getting better feedback, especially if you take it graciously and learn to deal with criticism. And sometimes even some of your friends will not like a video that you think is meaningful and well-made. Give that opinion its opportunity to exist, it has no less right to be out there than your "masterpiece". Finally, learn to be humble - and then positive response will actually surprise and please you, and possibly even make your day.


This xInfinity.
It didn't just hit the nail on the head. IT DESTROYED IT. :bear:
Image
User avatar
Shin-AMV
 
Joined: 15 Mar 2010
Status: Emo Poptart

Re: I need to vent, so pardon me.

Postby TheLuminaireShow » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:09 am

Very appropriate your name is KidEgo, yet your Youtube profile says your 31? Is this for real?

Look man, I found your AMV to just be boring. Not because of the source material or the song, but because the editing seemed lackadaisical and unfocused. I've seen plenty of great AMVs with a slow pace and set to a song and anime I was unfamiliar with yet still really enjoyed. That's my opinion of your video.

But I agree that the bigger problem at heart is that you seem to care more about adulation than you do improvement. The only reason you won't accept criticism is because you think your video is perfect. And when it comes to art that is literally an impossibility. Looking back at your video, is there honestly not a single thing you don't think you could have improved upon? Or is it that everyone is being facetious and simply trolling your video? And even if some are, you need to develop thicker skin because there will always be people like that. I don't doubt that you feel like you put in an honest effort, but people here are judging your results, not your effort. Remember that.
Name's Luminaire. Oboishinasai!
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheLuminaireShow
Image
User avatar
TheLuminaireShow
 
Joined: 15 Nov 2011
Location: New Jersey

PreviousNext

Return to General AMV

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests