I need to vent, so pardon me.

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
KidEgo
Org Profile

I need to vent, so pardon me.

Post by KidEgo » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:59 pm

I feel like my latest video for Casshan:Robot Hunter, which I only recently started making videos for and checked out because of other AMVs I saw for it is one of the best AMVs I've made thus far, and certain people are giving it negative feedback, and why they would do that I do not know, because I think I did a great job. Are these people just a bunch of butthurt Casshern Sins fanboys who are mad just because I said I hated it? I don't get it! And yeah, I didn't just throw it together quickly, I did put thought and time and effort into it, plus it's a 90-something minute feature film, so it's not like I had so many scenes to choose from, and making videos for animated features while it is easier than making a video for a whole series is still very hard to do. I do not understand it! I mean:

-Casshan/Tetsuya is walking away from Luna and she runs after him and the scene is played in slow motion (I didn't slow it down myself either, that's how it is in the movie), and she catches up with him

You were guilt
Like shackles on your feet
Like a halo in reverse

-Luna walks up to Casshan/Tetsuya and they look each other in the eyes

I can feel
The discomfort in your seat
And in your head it's worse

-Luna turns away from Casshan/Tetsuya in sadness first at normal speed and again in slow motion (again, this is how it was in the movie, I didn't do this myself), then a slow motion zoom out of Casshan/Tetsuya, then we cut to the scene where Black King's enemy robots are firing at Casshan/Tetsuya and his disguise is destroyed and he saves Luna and sets her down on a nearby building rooftop, and Black King and his coleague (don't remember his name) watch him

There's a pain
A famine in your heart
An aching to be free
Can't you see
All love's luxuries
Are here for you and me

-Camera zooms in on Casshan/Tetsuya and does a 180 degree spin around him and zooms out, and we see a close up of Black King's face

And when our worlds
They fall apart
When the walls come tumbling in
Though we may deserve it
It will be worth it

-Casshan/Tetsuya destroys a robot, then we cut to a different scene where Casshan/Tetsuya saves Luna from a robot about to pounce on her, then we cut to another scene where Casshan/Tetsuya approaches Luna and puts his hands on her shoulders

Bring your chains
Your lips of tragedy
And fall into my arms

-Then the two of them kiss, and I think that verse was PERFECT for that shot, since Luna is in love with Casshan/Tetsuya, and he is too, and he is a tragic hero and she a tragic heroine, so it makes sense, doesn't it? Then we cut to the scene of Casshan/Tetsuya, Luna, and Casshan's dog Friender at the railroad and they hear something, and robots emerge from the ground and attack them and Casshan/Tetsuya destroys one, and Friender destroys another one, and the one robot left tries to escape, but Friender pounces on top of him and destroys him

And when our worlds
They fall apart
When the walls come tumbling in
Though we may deserve it
It will be worth it

And since the rest of the song is just the chorus repeated a few more times, I use a scene of Casshan/Tetsuya destroying more robots, then a scene of him destroying a large group of them in one blast using his famous mind beam (if you've played Tatsunoko vs. Capcom you should know what I'm talking about), and then the last scene is Luna crying and she runs up to Casshan/Tetsuya and hugging him, then we cut to Casshan flying away inside of Friender (OMG that sounded so wrong! LMAO), and then cut to her running to the edge and then a close up shot of her face as she watches the two of them fly off and then we fade to black and the video ends.

And I feel very frustrated that there are people who don't like this video when I feel I've created something great. And I feel like no matter how hard I try, no matter how much time or how much effort I put into a video that trying to impress certain people is like pulling teeth! And this one person told me he didn't like it just because I didn't use any pretty transitions or special effects. Wow. One of my friends who's also an AMV editor himself and a fan of this movie as well liked it and said the song's musical structure matched the dark tone of the film nicely and that it was a nice showcase of Casshan and Luna's painful romance. So I hope you can understand why I'm so frustrated as to how something like this could not be liked. Oh well, that concludes my rant, now back to work for me.
All my haters:I'm awesome, and you're just jealous and biased elitists. Fuck you very much.
And I still say CASSHERN SINS SUCKS ASS!!!!

dj_ultima_the_great
Org Profile

Re: I need to vent, so pardon me.

Post by dj_ultima_the_great » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:02 pm

You know... I really hate people who say things like this normally, but...

Welcome to the internet. Deal with it.

Radical_Yue
Org Profile

Post by Radical_Yue » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:24 pm

Instead of drawing so much attention to yourself with an actual topic dedicated to why people don't like your video, next time just post in the actual vent thread.

Also, x2 on what dj_ultima_the_great said.

It's the internet. Not everyone is going to want to jerk you off over your "ZOMGAMAZINGVIDEOS!"

And honestly, if you have to explain what you're going for, you're not doing it right.
And yeah, I didn't just throw it together quickly, I did put thought and time and effort into it, plus it's a 90-something minute feature film, so it's not like I had so many scenes to choose from, and making videos for animated features while it is easier than making a video for a whole series is still very hard to do.
You chose your source. Don't whine about it being hard. I've seen videos that are brilliantly made with 15 minute specials.

Get over it and try again. Maybe even try listening to some of the criticism? From what I can see you've got long running scenes with just about no cuts, lip flap, no beat sync or internal sync, zero flow and yeah.

Welcome to the internet! Where everyone loves you and thinks you're just super awes- oh wait. :|

CodeZTM
Spin Me Round
Org Profile

Post by CodeZTM » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:34 pm

Learn from criticisms that others provide to you. It's one of the fundamental things about this site that allows the members to grow in their editing skills.

Phantasmagoriat
Org Profile

Post by Phantasmagoriat » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:50 pm

Here's the video in question:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFUGiwb0kCI

If you haven't done so, I suggest checking out videos that other people think are good.
Then make comparisons to your video.
Then try to understand why other people may not like your video.
Try to see things from the viewers perspective.
Org Profile | AMVGuide | Phan Picks! | THE424SHOW | YouTube | "Painkiller"

"Effort to Understand; Effort to be Understood; to See through Different Eyes."

JudgeHolden
Org Profile

Post by JudgeHolden » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:08 pm

Not everybody is going to like your video. It's the way of the world ... sometimes you hit ... many times you miss ... even the "Greats" miss from time to time. Just keep working at it.
Last edited by JudgeHolden on Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gotegenks
Org Profile

Post by gotegenks » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:10 pm

Radical_Yue wrote:Instead of drawing so much attention to yourself with an actual topic dedicated to why people don't like your video, next time just post in the actual vent thread.
He had a question, this thread is perfectly on topic here in general, i don't see what the problem with posting it here is, it's not like you can post in the vent thread expecting a reply, especially someone not-so-active and someone with an opinion like his that seems to be setting everyone off.

as for OP, 90 minutes is plenty of footage for a video that length, though i do understand the feeling of having no more good clips left, though if anything has gotten easier for me with what little experience i've got, it's the ability to find good clips, so hang in there and like everyone else says, this is the internet, if you care about improvement, try to take critics into consideration (to an extent), if you do not care about improvement, then get the hell over it and keep making crappy videos, my friend!

KidEgo
Org Profile

Post by KidEgo » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:16 pm

Radical_Yue:I have lip flap, so what? It's not lip syncing. If it did have (intentional) lip syncing, I would've checked the lip sync box when submitting it into the database, and I've seen others with just as much lip flap as this one, and they've gotten positive receptions.
All my haters:I'm awesome, and you're just jealous and biased elitists. Fuck you very much.
And I still say CASSHERN SINS SUCKS ASS!!!!

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Post by Castor Troy » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:19 pm

I took the liberty of actually watching the video and I can't say I disagree with the bad feedback.

The main problem with the video is that there's no flow. Tons of lip flap moments, no real sync, and nothing to really keep me interested in the story. There's tons of parts of the song that you could have easily changed scenes with basic beat/lyric/etc sync. You have an established beginning and ending, but no real editing done for the middle to keep us interested to even finish it.

That's my honest opinion, so take all the feedback you've received here and work on improving your videos.

Good luck.
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

lloyd9988
Org Profile

Post by lloyd9988 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:22 pm

He posts his vent. . . On the org. . . And comes to gain some sort of praise or recognition. . .
Spoiler :

Return to “General AMV”