The Lip Flapper : Volume 19 - Chiikaboom

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Re: The Lip Flapper : Volume 19 - Chiikaboom

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Wed May 16, 2012 7:35 am

I gave more thought to this last night and it occurred to me that this site isn't filled with tons of hardcore music enthusiasts either, and nobody seems to get upset about that. Anime and Music are really just the mediums used here. People must like the mediums at least a little to bother using them, right? Otherwise it'd be more work than fun. And that gets expressed differently with different people. Just because someone has a reserved personality or is capable of feeling things like shame and embarrassment doesn't make them any less appreciative than squeeing fangirls making fools of themselves at a local con's Voice Actor roundup.

Another interesting bit - I bring this up because I find the irony humorous in this context. The concept of "otaku" co-opted by American anime fans to mean 'super fan' or the like, is actually more properly defined as someone who's obsessively fixated on a thing. It's characterized by someone who gives the same amount of seriousness to both work and play. The literal embodiment of srs bsns. How's that for a mindfuck?
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

Centurione
Org Profile

Post by Centurione » Wed May 16, 2012 1:23 pm

That was a good read. It reminded me that it should be just fun (I got pretty upset with a few messages about my AMVs I got from some people lately). I'd love to be a professional editor in future but this reminded me I don't need to be so serious about AMVs and I shouldn't mix these two things much. It's good to read this from one of my favourite editors, thanks <3

AyumiNeko
Org Profile

Post by AyumiNeko » Wed May 16, 2012 3:06 pm

Awesome read!

And I love your AMVs Chii. :up:

Guess it doesn't really matter if person edits with anime they watched or not, as long as they have fun creating the video.
Though, personally I could never edit with footage I never watched before and enjoy it.

shati
Org Profile

Post by shati » Wed May 16, 2012 5:11 pm

I don't mind at all if people edit using shows they don't care for (I probably love a lot of those videos), but nice interview. Imagica is one of my favorite amvs of all time (of all time), and part of that is the way it really uses the context of the clips instead of just the visuals on the screen at that moment. Watching it really feels like I'm watching something about all the magical girl shows in it, not just something using them as raw parts. All the feels.

That, and the end is genius.

Rendakor
Falling Like A Star
Org Profile

Post by Rendakor » Wed May 16, 2012 10:50 pm

Great interview!

I agree with Chii; I can only really edit with anime (and music) that I love. My favorite types of AMVs are the ones that make me want to watch the show they used, or listen to more of the musical artist.
Image Image

Hagaren Viper
Org Profile

Post by Hagaren Viper » Wed May 16, 2012 11:20 pm

Jeez Chii, you get interviewed and get 4 pages in one day? You and your drama :awesome:
Kazemon15 wrote: Good interview, I like this part about you, Chii. Always edit what you want and don't let people's opinions about it sway your own opinion.

I also agree that AMVs are solely about the anime and song you want to edit with and as long as you have fun editing it as well. :up:
x2 - When I edit personally it is both for the fans of the show and to say "This show/song is awesome, you should like it too". I actually REALLY tried to drive home the "This is why I like this series" aspect of my newest [unreleased] vid.

All in all, good read! Im glad to see the Lip Flappers back up and running, I missed them.

ReggieSmalls
Org Profile

Post by ReggieSmalls » Wed May 16, 2012 11:37 pm

Good interview :up:
Am I the meanest? Sho'nuff !
Am I the prettiest? Sho'nuff !
Am I the baddest mofo low down around this town? Sho'nuff!

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Fri May 18, 2012 1:04 pm

Yep, a lot of good points about the site. Well said Chii! :up:

I don't really take issue with anyone's personal approach to editing, but it would be nice to see more anime fandom here as such, it's really declined here in that here over the last few years. Personally I've got into editing not because of anime or my love (ha!) of editing, but because of the music. But anime is still an important motivator. I hate editing, I just do it cause I like the results. I edit firstly as a music fan, and secondarily as someone who still likes anime. I also feel like my perspective often gets lost in the often-technocratic world of competitive AMVing, but what can you do I guess. I personally like this community too much to ever even think of leaving.

On the other hand, hey, if Chii isn't on the site but is still editing happily, I see no problem with this whatsoever!
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

Diegao
Enjoy the music
Org Profile

Post by Diegao » Fri May 18, 2012 1:48 pm

Nice and interesting read. It's been a long time that I've been waiting for an interview with Chiikaboom.
About me, I simply love editing, I like putting together something with my favourite musics. That's all, I don't care about what I edit, I just edit it. However, my favourite sources are anime, but I don't usually watch them (not anymore). And I don't think it's a bad thing or whatever, it's just a point of view like yours, which I respect. I'm not serious with editing, I just enjoy the experience. :bear:
Rising Production: Site - Forum - Facebook - Twitter

Diegao
Enjoy the music
Org Profile

Post by Diegao » Fri May 18, 2012 1:48 pm

Double post by mistake, fuck yeah.
Rising Production: Site - Forum - Facebook - Twitter

Return to “General AMV”