Is it wrong to copy an idea to edit it better?

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
Zarxrax
Org Profile

Re: Is it wrong to copy an idea to edit it better?

Post by Zarxrax » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:51 pm

Asking permission is always a bad idea, because if they DON'T give permission, then you look like an asshole if you do it anyways against their request.

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Post by Castor Troy » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:59 pm

Zarxrax wrote:Asking permission is always a bad idea, because if they DON'T give permission, then you look like an asshole if you do it anyways against their request.
Like the OCRemix people back during the NES and RVG days? :nono: :roll:
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Post by Kireblue » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:58 pm

If anyone wants to see the scene that I wanted to copy, here is the link to the full AMV.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cf3VVzGfmfc
The exact scene is the break dancing soul resonance scene from 0:41 - 0:44. Overall, the AMV isn't really that great, and the editing is really weak, but that particular scene was synced almost perfectly. And the reason why I was so impressed with it was also due to the lyrics "step into my world". So that got me thinking of making a multi-anime AMV that has a bunch of alternate worlds, dimensions, realities, and transformation cut scenes. But since that is currently the only AMV on the tube that uses the song "step into my world", I felt that it would be extremely obvious if I copied one of the scenes.

I decided to drop that idea though. I still wanna use the song, but I might make a Dennou Coil AMV with it since most of the show can be interpreted as a alternate dimension or reality. And plus, I've been trying to decide on a Dennou Coil AMV idea for months.

Knowname
Org Profile

Post by Knowname » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:43 am

I would beat you if you used that video ~~ beat you with a fish, preferably one with a whip type fin.
If you do not think so... you will DIE

Shadow0101
Org Profile

Post by Shadow0101 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:55 am

just copying one or 2 clips is fine. i mean there are clips that are jsut awesome overall so many people have used em. I have several from my amv. i didnt take them from any amvs themselves but i used the same clip from the same show. Of course the show was downloaded from sources so maybe we got different sources or who knows the same source o.o.
Shadow

Sephiroth
Org Profile

Post by Sephiroth » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:41 am

There is a curtain level of irony in asking to use someone stuff which is made out of stuff they never asked the original creator to use.

As i like to say

We are thief's, we steal, which is what makes us great artists.

MaggIvy
Org Profile

Post by MaggIvy » Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:30 am

I don't see anything wrong with re-creating someone's video, but if you are using their videos in your video there might be problem. Usually when I have an idea, I go and look to see if I can find a video with an idea/song I had in mind (shows how original my ideas are) and see if it can be done. If it can be done or is done, then I guess that's my inspiration for the time being.

I have had people re-create my videos and they turned out pure awesome before.

EvaFan
Org Profile

Post by EvaFan » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:45 am

It's not wrong, but if you copy one of mine or someone in my studio...

You don't have to come and confess... We lookin for you,
So you can run and tell that homeboy.
"The people cannot be [...] always, well informed. The part which is wrong will be discontented, in proportion to [...] the facts they misconceive. If they remain quiet under such misconceptions, it is lethargy, the forerunner of death to public liberty. What country can preserve its liberties, if it's rulers are not warned [...] that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants."-Thomas Jefferson

pan_dbgt01
Org Profile

Post by pan_dbgt01 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:14 pm

I think if you actually copy someone's video, you should let them know and give them some credit as being the original editor. As long as it's your own editing and sources.

Using the same basic idea shouldn't be a problem at all. As long as you make it your own, it is your own.

disturbedjeans
Org Profile

Post by disturbedjeans » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:41 am

I don't think its wrong. your still using your creativity to improve it. As humans we're always trying to improve. it should be the same situation with amvs. theres been a couple amvs that ive been where i felt like i could add a couple thing to make a even better video. Theres nothing wrong with it.

Return to “General AMV”