What is the org doing wrong?

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
EvaFan
Org Profile

Re: What is the org doing wrong?

Post by EvaFan » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:47 am

Well part of it is the editors responsibility. If you make an announcement thread and just slap a 4chan picture in there as a poster and say watch my best vid of all time... Then you're likely not to get any views, atleast from the active community on the forums yet alone comments.

A catchy title and poster really does help if you want views. I've watched vids simply cause of the title, poster, or comments about it if they interested me enough.

They could do more than just upload their vid and wait for comments is all I'm saying, it's not like the org should have to do everything for them. I think amvnews is easier here cause you can comment on the same page you watch which is less of a hassle.

Most people that have been around for a long time probably rarely or never watch videos from new people and only watch from friends or people they respect as editors or members of the community like mods. This is the reason the org is slowly dieing. With rarely any new people going around commenting these people are the ones mostly remaining on this forum.

If everyone was aloud to slap a preview on the same page people can comment instead of just donators, they would get more views/comments. Face it people are lazy...
"The people cannot be [...] always, well informed. The part which is wrong will be discontented, in proportion to [...] the facts they misconceive. If they remain quiet under such misconceptions, it is lethargy, the forerunner of death to public liberty. What country can preserve its liberties, if it's rulers are not warned [...] that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants."-Thomas Jefferson

Ikore
Org Profile

Post by Ikore » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:04 am

EvaFan wrote:Most people that have been around for a long time probably rarely or never watch videos from new people and only watch from friends or people they respect as editors or members of the community like mods. This is the reason the org is slowly dieing. With rarely any new people going around commenting these people are the ones mostly remaining on this forum.
qft, I found pretty crazy to watch a great amv, for a new editor, with an announcement of around 2 days ago, and no comments at all :|
godix wrote:although apparently there are counterexamples.
and those counter example seems to be extremely popular editors on the org: http://amvnews.ru/index.php?go=Files&in=view&id=813
so this may be another issue with org if you are not really popular, a good friend or use a extremely popular anime, but it is the same than yt, and in a lot of other things indeed :uhoh:
godix wrote:I think it should be about AMVs, which means letting people watch them easily and letting editors get their work seen.
that remember me the first time I access amvnews and actually download an amv, my only thought was "funny, here is easier to download a video than in the org, and this is in russian"

I really don´t know how news works, but it is obvious that not everyone post or upload, that´s exactly what keep editors around here... just make it simple as nintendo, one you got all and maybe relateds
SING! Never mind the words!!!

Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:14 am

godix wrote:stuff...
Honestly, I'm just frustrated because everyone has been asking the same questions over the years and its the same answer. Can we stop asking questions and start throwing out ideas and taking action? Even better, why wait for someone to announce that we are taking submissions for a new design? go make it and show the community. if enough people rally behind it i bet it will happen sooner then later. Our biggest strength is that we are a large community that is passionate about this hobby. There's enough people upset about the current website that we are voicing our opinions now. The first post I made in the state of the org thread was about people whining and moaning about nothing getting done and asking why nothing was getting done and why such and such website is better at such and such. do something. I recognize this thread as a way to get people to share their thoughts but it's not going to make anything happen unless people actually do it.

I really liked the reply by kireblue... he photo-shopped what he wanted to see. Stuff like that will help more then people blabbing on about stats and how frustrated they are about people asking questions. Instead of a thread like this, how about a thread about design ideas and examples? It'll make things a lot easier when it comes to actually designing the site if everything isn't buried under a million posts in half a million different threads.

You don't need to be an artist or a programmer to help. Start threads about ideas and design. critique designs, critique ideas. but lets keep it all in one place and organized so they can be reviewed and looked at with out searching every nook and cranny for them. Should the org staff be the ones to do it? they haven't done it yet, so why wait any longer? By the time the staff gets around to it, its just going to be wasted time.

end rant... man i need another hobby :\

outlawed
Org Profile

Post by outlawed » Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:07 am

godix wrote:specifically talking about why AKROSS/amvnews seem to get more views on videos, although apparently there are counterexamples.
So what end are you advocating? Some might argue the org "has got to seriously remix its priorities".

We face a similar situation the us techno-industrial base faced many years ago. Hopefully we won't fade into obscurity =p
http://www.theonion.com/articles/us-tec ... gn-co,920/

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:12 pm

We do need a redesign, I won't argue against that, but it's important to recognize that we are in a far different place, have far more to lose and are open to far more risk than a website based in a country that even the MPAA gave up on fighting bootlegging in and just started release work-prints to make some money over pirated CAMs. We try to be the be-all end-all of video distribution and we're going to regret it.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

JudgeHolden
Org Profile

Post by JudgeHolden » Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:53 am

I don't even need to upload to AMVNews, they do it for me. Now that's what I call service. |:>

Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view
Org Profile

Post by Nya-chan Production » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:12 am

Ikore wrote:
godix wrote:although apparently there are counterexamples.
and those counter example seems to be extremely popular editors on the org: http://amvnews.ru/index.php?go=Files&in=view&id=813
so this may be another issue with org if you are not really popular, a good friend or use a extremely popular anime, but it is the same than yt, and in a lot of other things indeed :uhoh:
That' surely one of the reasons, but there is one more reason which most people don't realize (at least nobody mentions it whenever this gets discussed. it's always about circle-jerking). The org has QUANTITY. Anyone can go and post the vid in the Announcement forum and you get HEAPS of threads with new videos. Can you keep up with them? At first maybe yes, you are new to this, everything is interesting and great. But then work or school kicks in, you find out some videos are actually pretty bad and you start to choose. Everyone goes through this, there are quite a few people who check EVERY thread regularly for years. It is quite like YT / unless you circle-jerk with other famous YT editors or you get known accidentally you get quite a few views even when your videos are good.

Qyot27
Surreptitious fluffy bunny
Org Profile

Post by Qyot27 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:10 pm

outlawed wrote:We face a similar situation the us techno-industrial base faced many years ago. Hopefully we won't fade into obscurity =p
http://www.theonion.com/articles/us-tec ... gn-co,920/
"I say, bring back the days of Skinny Puppy."

Truer words have never been spoken.

Sorry about that, my inner rivethead has been feeling restless lately. I haven't edited to the stuff in 7 years, either. :hissandgasp:
My profile on MyAnimeList | Quasistatic Regret: yeah, yeah, I finally got a blog

Panky
Org Profile

Post by Panky » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:46 pm

Well, what you can see is that the main page is quite different to the org index, that it looks way more lively: it has pages filled with images and previews of videos that you can easily pick up and watch. You can register/login and leave a comment as simple as it sounds, like youtube and many other streaming sites.
(I have rarely entered that page so I wonder, who is the one that posts videos there? Is it automatic, or admin/users input?)

Also, looking at the bars in the left, there are categories for entries of newly posted videos and a few more that lead to login, forum, etc. contrasted to the big amount we have in the org page. Are they unnecessary? Probably not, but I think that the way space in the menu is managed is quite a big point for catching people's attention. I think I have already said a few times that IMO the biggest focus of the org is the forum, where you can get better comments, help with videos, and make some contact if you would call it like that (which the main page doesn't seem to hold much, apart from journals, since there isn't too much other user content to view). And most people won't even find the forums because the button is hidden inside another button or in the logo image. Thus, they will probably miss the feedback, and with that one of the biggests reasons for joining the site in the first place. So, you could either get a better way to get people to the forums, or change the main page and add more interaction from there.

Another few differences between both sites would also be the overall structure, if I were to know some russian that site would be easier to use than this one. In fact, most of us know how to get to it without speaking russian!
There also seems to be major influx of people in that site, which means in more comments, views, and others, although that might be because they did a good work with it.

Quite a big rant, I guess :nose:

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Post by Castor Troy » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:04 am

amvnews.ru is awesome. They literally tore me a new one. :D

http://amvnews.ru/index.php?go=Files&in=view&id=2498
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

Return to “General AMV”