Videos that never happened

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
Zarxrax
Org Profile

Videos that never happened

Post by Zarxrax » Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:05 pm

Talk about your videos that you never released / never made

My first one was maybe back around late 2001, maybe early 2002. I wanted to use Bubblegum Crisis set against the English version of Two-Mix's "True Navigation". The rather naive noob that I was, my goal with the video was to create an amv with the most impressive special effects yet seen. (keep in mind, this wouldn't have been hard AT ALL back at that time) I actually got a few seconds of this one edited, but then something happened. I saw my first Japanese MAD - Winter Planet. It blew my mind so hard that I completely gave up on this amv.

A short while later, I began working on a live action Battle Royale video. I got about 1 minute into it, but then just gave up, because I thought the video sucked. This was the first time (but not the last) that I would give up on a video after having edited a large chunk of it.

At some point early in my amv career, I had an idea to use Battle Athletes Victory with Vitamin C - Graduation. The concept would have involved creating something like a school yearbook and showing some clips within the pages. I held onto this idea for several years before finally losing interest.

I wanna say around 2002, I got an idea that I carried with me up to this day. It was to be an Utena video set against X Japan's "Rose of Pain". This was an ambitious idea - An 11 minute long epic, with multiple storylines held together by a central theme. I bought all of the utena dvds in anticipation of making this video. But you know, the sheer intimidation of having to work on an 11 minute amv ensured that I never actually got started on this one. I kept thinking I would do it at some point, but it just never happened.

2003, I had an idea for a full moon wo sagashite video. It would have been one of my most ambitious videos yet at the time, and to be honest I'm still not sure whether I have completely given up on this one, so I wont say anymore.

After that, I went through a period where I had tons of AMV ideas, too many to actually make. I never even made efforts into starting most of them, aside from starting to plan them out in my mind. I don't even remember some of them, but I guess there were about 4 or 5 that I really wanted to do.

During the Retro Video Game Project, VG3, etc, I had lots of ideas for videos, but most of them didn't pan out for multiple reasons. One that I actually started working on was a Streets of Rage 2 video mixed with Ikkitousen. I was actually VERY pleased with what I had edited, but after the beginning of the song, I just couldn't really figure out what I wanted to do with the rest of the video.
Other video game concepts that I gave up on included: Sonic the Hedgehog, Mario Kart, ToeJam & Earl, Bubble Bobble, and the Touhou inspired Mega Miku.

Probably around 2006 I started working on a Nadia video set to Dead-eye Dick - New Age Girl. It seemed like a pretty solid concept, but I started running out of good clips, and there where parts of the song where I just didn't know what to do. I got the video about 1/3 completed before I stopped. I would kinda like to see what I did on this one, but alas, I've lost the work-in-progress copy that I had.

At this point, I really can't even say that I edit anymore. I've got at least 3 videos that I really wanna make... but, who knows if that will ever happen. I do however, wanna make at least one of them before I stop editing altogether.

Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view
Org Profile

Re: Videos that never happened

Post by Nya-chan Production » Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:12 pm

So far the only video I haven't completed and have given up on completely is Caroline's Bicycle to Tokikake. The song was just so slow and I didn't have the technical skills at the time... maybe I could pick it up...

All the other stuff is at least in the "someday" category ;x

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Post by Kireblue » Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:40 pm

The only video that I've gave up on but had serious intentions of finishing was a Asu no Yoichi AMV that I wanted to make almost 2 years ago. I was going to use "If today was your last day" by Nickelback, but the beginning of that song was really hard to edit to. I think that I'm gonna revive that AMV in a few months though.

Kalium
Sir Bugsalot
Org Profile

Post by Kalium » Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:04 pm

Bubblegum Crisis 2040 to Ride of the Valkyries. I realized shortly after starting that I didn't have the skill to make it work.

I worked on matched Scryed to Judas Priest's "Hell Patrol" for a while. I got maybe a minute in before I figured out that I didn't really have a workable concept. That one went on the discard pile too. I had reasonable action sync, but I wasn't going anywhere with it. Without some vision, it wouldn't have gone anywhere.

godix
a disturbed member
Org Profile

Post by godix » Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:10 pm

I've had dozens of videos that I deleted unfinished. The main one I specifically remember, because it's the only one I still think might be amusing, is this song set to Shinji from Eva. The only other full video that occurs to me offhand is a video to What What In The Butt emulating the typical bishi loving vid that some female editors were well known for.

Other than those two, my unfinished videos are focused on concepts rather than specific song/anime. There are a lot things where I was playing with just one effect for short five or ten second proofs of concept or I had a stylistic idea I storyboarded. For some reason, I seem to be on a kick of finally turning things I thought about years ago into full videos. Perhaps it's just that recently, despite my bitching about the task of editing, I re-discovered I actually enjoy doing it as more than just quick moronic jokes.

There was a three second proof of concept of a sketch like effect at least two years before I edited and released shinkai train.

I had the idea for DSM-IV 295.3 for about six years. I would edit a bit, or write the script, research it, or try to line up voice actresses, then drop it. Months later I'd come back and do a bit more. I finally finished and released it just recently.

I have considered and tested a video of 5 horizontal panels awhile ago and am now editing a full video like that. I dunno if that'll actually get finished though, it's romance and I am not a good romance editor. Nor do I want to be, I would have already lost interest if it wasn't for playing with the 5 panel thing.

One idea I keep returning to every couple years. A video all about cities. Start with a primitive collection of huts, then progress to middle ages town, modern town, futuristic town, town being destroyed, then return to primitive collection of huts in middle of the ruins. No characters in the video, just the life of a city. I've storyboarded it, then dropped it. I floated turning it into a MEP, then dropped it. I set about making the music mix, then dropped it. I don't know when I'll pick up the idea again, or how far I'll go before I drop it again, but odds are I will go back to it sometime.

I want to do a horror video emulating the chiaroscuro style. I'm still tinkering with that, I have yet to figure out how to emulate the style without it looking like I just jacked up contrast really high. I can turn anime into a nice looking emulation of that style with still frames, but in motion it just looks bad. I fear heavy photoshop use would be required so it'll probably end up as another dropped idea.

I considered a fairy tale using the page turning effect that is in this video (effect appears around 1:10). The effect wouldn't be hard, and I've done a proof of concept of it that I was happy with. However, I want to present a complete and original fairy tale. I couldn't figure out how to do that in 3 to 5 minutes using anime. Eventually I just posted the fairy tale I wrote on my livejournal and dropped the idea.

After the Conet MEP was finished a few years ago, I considered another similar MEP using data sonification from space probes. While the idea interested me, and I did do some work on it, I eventually dropped it as too boring/too much a repeat of Conet. IIRC, I did feed sonification from Jupiter to Fall Child for the Improv Project and he did something interesting with it.

*EDIT* Oh yeah, one more I just remembered. A video titled Shattered. It's start with a scene straight from an anime showing a dramatic death in the arms of a loved one (think Grave of the Fireflies or Rurouni Kenshin). Then right as the person actually dies, focus on the loved on holding them and use the shatter effect. Then follow the pieces that shattered as they fall, like broken glass. Zoom into one of the pieces, show a scene from their life together, zoom back out to the falling pieces, repeat. The background for the falling would be a murky dark colored blob. At the end, let the glass pieces fall off the screen, zoom out, and as it zooms out the background resolves itself as a funeral scene that was incredibly zoomed in and blurred. I did do some tests that were ok for the standards of 2004 or 2005, but would look like shit today. At the time I asked zarx how this might be done and his reaction was something like "hmm, interesting. It might be difficult, but here's what you might try..." which kinda discouraged me. I don't know AE and learning enough about it to even do the proof of concept was hard for me. I didn't want to devote the time to actually learn it well enough to do the whole video, especially one that someone experienced with AE said could be difficult. Still, I like the idea. I came up with this years ago when shatter was very very overused. I wanted to do a video where the effect was vital to the video concept instead of just being eye candy.

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Post by Castor Troy » Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:37 pm

In 2004, I was gonna do "Dragon Bebop GT", which was gonna be a sequel to Dragon Bebop Z. I even made a funny april fools joke on the announcement forum about it. Sadly, I scrapped it since it was just a rehash of the Dragon Bebop Z story. Eventually, the idea turned into Naruto Ball Z.
Zarxrax wrote:During the Retro Video Game Project, VG3, etc, I had lots of ideas for videos, but most of them didn't pan out for multiple reasons. One that I actually started working on was a Streets of Rage 2 video mixed with Ikkitousen. I was actually VERY pleased with what I had edited, but after the beginning of the song, I just couldn't really figure out what I wanted to do with the rest of the video.
Other video game concepts that I gave up on included: Sonic the Hedgehog, Mario Kart, ToeJam & Earl, Bubble Bobble, and the Touhou inspired Mega Miku.
Your Streets of Rage 2/Ikkitousen video was pretty badass. Too bad it never got past the intro part. :(

In VG3, I was gonna do a multiple anime video to one of the Duck Hunt tracks, but luckily you did it for me. :)

For VG4 and VG5, I wanted to do a Berserk/Warcraft video with Guts lipsyncing the "I'm a Medieval Man" song after being inspired by "Bride of Berserk". But I never got around to it. I also wanted to do a Dead Rising/Dawn of the Dead Live action video, but didn't want to capture from my Xbox. One of my last ideas for VG5 was a Fallout 3/Fist of the North Star video, but it was already a month before AWA. Maybe I'll make that video as a solo project one day. I was also gonna do ideas for TMNT, Megaman X, Final Fantasy IV, etc, but I had already made enough VG Project videos. I was also thinking of doing a Megaman MAD, but it would be way too much work.

For AWA Pro one year, I was gonna do a crossover between DBZ and the Matrix set to Rob Zombie's Dragula called "There is no spoon". I never got around to it either. At the time, I didn't know if I could mask live action and anime together, but I was finally able to do it in "Go the distance".

In 2006, I was working on an AMV Hell type video consisting of various dialogue from Napoleon Dynamite and lipsyncing it with DBZ with the name "Napolgohan Dynamite". Sadly, the quality of the old FUNimation dvds was too poor to work with and I lost interest in the idea.

I was also thinking of doing a Fullmetal Alchemist video to the American History X trailer. I'm still kind of hung up on it since I dunno how it would make a lot of sense.

I also had a hentai video idea for the Uncle Fucker song from the South Park movie, but Addy did it for AWA Pro 2005. :P
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

Kosmit
Slippery Pole
Org Profile

Post by Kosmit » Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:43 pm

Well, I haven't been editing for long, but I have one idea that I've dropped: music from Silent Hill (game, not the movie) and Requiem from the Darkness. I had all the material prepared, but it just didn't work as I expected it to, so I deleted the project.
I still want to make a horror AMV though and it'll probably be the next one I make.

ExSphere
Org Profile

Post by ExSphere » Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:29 pm

In 2008 I teo started a flcl video with "bullshit" by msi. He had the whole timeline filled with about a minute and a half of unfinished segments, or portions that needed small touch ups. The video also had bits of 3D work added to it. Teo sent me the project file and since I had the same footage as him we decided to collab on it together. I added about 20 seconds to it and then moved to waco and ended up forgetting about it. And I lost the flcl footage. I haven't heard from teo in a couple months to see if he still has his footage somewhere for me to yank, but I think he gave up on amvs and moved onto more serious 3D work. It remains as the biggest project I regret not finishing.

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:57 pm

I was going to do this video to Seal - Love's Divine to Princess Mononoke (it had shitty Vegas cookie cutter effects too), however I got bored with it so I never finished. It's the only unfinished project I have aside from a specific mep piece from a mep I dropped out of... I may finish that piece some day but I'm going to need to upgrade stuff first.

Recently I can't find the motivation to work on anything myself O.o so a lot of my ideas are just "perhaps some day" for now.

Taite
Org Profile

Post by Taite » Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:35 pm

Pretty much everything I ever made minus 2 videos now. So, 81 projects. :awesome:
Still have all the files too. Don't think any are really worth picking up, since my newer ideas I have more fun with. But I probably have just as many ideas that still need to be made. Don't know how that's going to end up...
Image Image

Return to “General AMV”