So you want to be a "Professional Editor"? Read this first

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
OropherZero
Org Profile

Re: So you want to be a "Professional Editor"? Read this first

Post by OropherZero » Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:22 pm

cool post :up: a shame we don't have a creative industry in this country.

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:59 pm

This is a good post to show to people who tell me I should be a professional editor...
Also a lot of the same mentality is what drove me away from acting...

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Post by Castor Troy » Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:11 pm

JaddziaDax wrote:This is a good post to show to people who tell me I should be a professional editor...
Also a lot of the same mentality is what drove me away from acting...
Oh man. If I were to write this post about acting, then it would be 10x as long and 100x as harsh. :x

I'm glad everyone feels more informed after reading this thread. I hope I didn't destroy several dream in the process. :?
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

Snowcrash
Org Profile

Post by Snowcrash » Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:14 pm

That was a very very instructive post. Thanks a lot for all theses informations about professional editing.
Castor Troy wrote: "Real" music videos are also edited in a similar fashion where music is there just to match the mood rather than sync editing. "Real" music videos are made for selling products with visuals rather than telling stories.
I have a question about that. I recently discoverd this young director Saman Keshavarz who did the awesome video Luv Deluxe. As you can see he's not the editor (Nate Tam).
But don't you think for this kind of work, the music is really important ? I mean the music here is not just decorative. It's the same for the midnight club EP.
And don't you think the editor of this work is quiet free ? I am not sure but this music video is originally made for internet broadcasting. I suppose the author is paid by the musician artists.

Are the "rules" for this kind of music video the same what you said in your post ?

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Post by Castor Troy » Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:44 pm

Sn0wcrash wrote:That was a very very instructive post. Thanks a lot for all theses informations about professional editing.
Castor Troy wrote: "Real" music videos are also edited in a similar fashion where music is there just to match the mood rather than sync editing. "Real" music videos are made for selling products with visuals rather than telling stories.
I have a question about that. I recently discoverd this young director Saman Keshavarz who did the awesome video Luv Deluxe. As you can see he's not the editor (Nate Tam).
But don't you think for this kind of work, the music is really important ? I mean the music here is not just decorative. It's the same for the midnight club EP.
And don't you think the editor of this work is quiet free ? I am not sure but this music video is originally made for internet broadcasting. I suppose the author is paid by the musician artists.

Are the "rules" for this kind of music video the same what you said in your post ?
That was a pretty awesome video, a lot like an amv in terms of using music to tell a story. So yes, the music is still important.

This video was obviously made by a normal person like you or me and not a studio, so he pretty much did anything he wanted and won SXSW for it.

Eat that Hollywood. :up:
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

Enigma
That jolly ol' bastid
Org Profile

Post by Enigma » Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:01 pm

Castor Troy wrote:I hope I didn't destroy several dream in the process. :?
too late....

nah :awesome:

DriftRoot
Org Profile

Post by DriftRoot » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:12 pm

I may not be a "professional editor," but I am a professional graphic designer, with a full-time job, and I will say as I've said before that this AMV hobby has certainly helped get me to where I am. Ok, not everyone does what I do with my videos in terms of the graphic elements, but the bottom line is that I have put in an enormous amount of time learning and building a library of skills all on my own steam. That pays off when you're looking for a job that demands you bring a lot more to the table than just what you did in the classroom. I'd hate for people to think that their AMV hobby is a total waste of time and energy if they can't become "real" editors. Just like most things in life, creating AMVs has the potential to teach you a lot of things which come in handy down all kinds of roads - it's up to you to capitalize on it.

trythil
is
Org Profile

Post by trythil » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:18 am

DriftRoot wrote:That pays off when you're looking for a job that demands you bring a lot more to the table than just what you did in the classroom.
As it happens, that describes every job, assuming you want to be any good at it.

Fall_Child42
has a rock
Org Profile

Post by Fall_Child42 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:50 pm

trythil wrote:
DriftRoot wrote:That pays off when you're looking for a job that demands you bring a lot more to the table than just what you did in the classroom.
As it happens, that describes every job, assuming you want to be any good at it.
What if my job is in a classroom?

Ileia
WHAT IS PINK MAY NEVER DIE!
Org Profile

Post by Ileia » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:54 pm

Well, as a teacher, you'd bring more to the table..... likely because it's a desk, Todd.
:cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake:

Return to “General AMV”