Rap AMV's

This forum is for the general discussion of Anime Music Videos.

Rap AMV's

Postby pmfRyuu » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:52 pm

I got a quick question. Does the general public of a-m-v.org like rap amvs? I've always heard that rap editors aren't as popular as other music genre editors. Idk if there's any truth to that or what, and I was just looking for some feedback.
pmfRyuu

Re: Rap AMV's

Postby pacotacoshell » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:29 pm

I don't care what kind of music is used as long as it's a good video.
pacotacoshell

Postby Shui » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:05 am

Hey! Skittles is rap.. technically. But yeah you don't see stuff like this very often. That's just because it isn't a mainstream music taste.
Still raps amvs aren't disliked. Tainted Donuts is rap too.

If you're talking about amvs with the modern hip-hop pop thing it's because most people here are over the age of 16.
Who would enjoy watching an amv that makes your ears bleed?
Shui
Shuitcake

Postby AceD » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:38 am

pacotacoshell wrote:I don't care what kind of music is used as long as it's a good video.
What this man said.

but lets face it, generally speaking for every popular rap amv, there are 100s of popular rock amvs, instrumental amvs, dubstep amvs etc. So it's pretty obvious that rap is not popular within amvs.
AceD
I AM THE BEST

Postby CrackTheSky » Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:22 pm

I think in general, rap is less popular because its lyrical content is in general just not conducive to making interesting videos, especially since in most rap songs, one of the main focuses of the music is the lyrics. With other genres, often the lyrics can be ignored or made a secondary focus when editing a video, but that's really, REALLY hard to do with most rap. The "music" side of rap is usually sonically sparse, and the lyrics tend to be very self-centered, self-referential, and tend to make a lot of pop culture references. None of these things work well in AMVs except in very specific (usually parody- or comedy-centric) situations.
CrackTheSky
Fancy Balls

Postby Pikapwn » Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:56 pm

Hot Commodity is a great and relatively new video that uses a rap song. From what I understand, it was very well received by editors from this community, as well. So while rap might not be as popular (because of the reasons stated above by others), if the video's well made it'll get it's recognition. But it definitely reinforces CrackTheSky's point that good rap videos will focus on the lyrics, since that's what this one did.
Pikapwn

Postby Radical_Yue » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:58 pm

x2 on what the boys already said about good videos and music and such. ^

Two of my favorite videos use rap music <3
Radical_Yue
stuck in a room with a moose

Postby CrackTheSky » Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:16 pm

Radical_Yue wrote:x2 on what the boys already said about good videos and music and such. ^

Two of my favorite videos use rap music <3

Rice is one of the few editors out there who consistently makes incredible videos with rap songs. Another one worth mentioning, because it's just amazing:

CrackTheSky
Fancy Balls

Postby CastielTheFallen » Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:36 pm

ReggieSmalls and I make rap videos quite often. DZ in general is pretty well known for using hiphop and doing it well.

There's nothing wrong with it and it's certainly very doable, but you also have to accept that there's just not as big of a fanbase for hiphop in the AMV scene.
DZ|BSP
CastielTheFallen
Prodigal Pen-Throttle

Postby CastielTheFallen » Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:12 pm

A little shameless self promotion. :3
DZ|BSP
CastielTheFallen
Prodigal Pen-Throttle

Postby FallenMarvel » Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:37 pm

Seen both bad and good and had the pleasure of making a couple of my own with mostly positive feedback. At the end of the day, it heavily depends on the song and how the video is done.
Instead of just saying something, have something to say.
FallenMarvel

Postby Voidses_ » Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:34 pm

"Rap" is generally (in my opinion) a big "no no", but sometimes it's awesome.

Big problem with any lyric driven music is the language...
Something like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPnd_9FYXck&feature=em-uploademail

The lyrics are a perfect fit to the AMV, and quite funny. But who could tell?
Math is a Girl (and I love her)
Voidses_

Postby FallenMarvel » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:58 pm

Voidses_ wrote:"Rap" is generally (in my opinion) a big "no no", but sometimes it's awesome.

Big problem with any lyric driven music is the language...
Something like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPnd_9FYXck&feature=em-uploademail

The lyrics are a perfect fit to the AMV, and quite funny. But who could tell?

Content does play a large role if the video comes out good or not. There are some songs that really have no place, like "Trap Music" for example. You can spin some and make it work, but not always. Seen quite a few duds.
Instead of just saying something, have something to say.
FallenMarvel

Return to General AMV