Nintendo's Speech: Industry, Future, GC and GBA Successors

This forum is for actual topics of discussion that do not fit the above categories.
KungPaoChicken
Org Profile

Nintendo's Speech: Industry, Future, GC and GBA Successors

Post by KungPaoChicken » Fri Nov 01, 2002 4:58 pm

http://www.cube-europe.com/newsphp/news.php?id=2923

Nintendo on online gaming:

Thus, the consolidation of game development resources is understandable. We have seen, and will continue to see many smaller developers either swallowed up by larger companies or disappear altogether. So what happens then? As has happened before, many are looking for a life preserver ? something to rescue them from the burden of money-losing hardware or the hundreds of games that are released and then quickly forgotten. Today's popular life preserver is called online gaming.

From a player standpoint, online can, indeed, be "thrilling" but viewed from the bottom line of a business plan, its prospects are somewhat more "chilling."

At Nintendo, we remain intrigued by the potential, just as we were back in the mid-'80s when we first connected our NES machines to a network in Japan. And it could be that players will decide, en masse, that the thrill of matching up against unseen opponents is worth the cost of monthly subscription fees, and maybe a bill for broadband access, on top of their hardware and software purchases. But for manufacturers and publishers, substantial online bets had better pay off. Unfortunately, there are several notable examples already where those bets did not.

Serious money is required to maintain the technology of a networked game, not to mention the regular infusion of new content to refresh player interest. Our master game designer, Shigeru Miyamoto, says that if he truly applied himself to an online project, it would significantly reduce the number of games he develops -- because its design would never end. Beyond creative and maintenance resources, we also have to find out just where online gamers will come from.

If online play grows our market in real numbers, that's wonderful. If, however, it merely cannibalizes existing hardcore players, the payoff may disappoint. Now, we at Nintendo don't want to be seen as naysayers. After all, Nintendo GameCube is fully adaptable to handle both broadband and modem-enabled network games. In fact, our first such product, Sega's excellent Phantasy Star Online just went on sale. But bottom line, if you look at online games today ? promise? Yes. Life preserver? Not yet.

Nintendo on Animal Crossing:

The fact of the matter is that innovation is ageless. That Animal Crossing game I referenced originally targeted an ages 8 to 12 market. We assumed kids would be most attracted to the premise that rather than accomplishing a specific goal, the fun comes in just living an alternative life: design your own village, your own relationships, even your own clothes. Well, we aimed too narrow.

The reaction from all ages, especially adults, is approaching cult proportions. At launch, Animal Crossing immediately rose to number 7 on the console charts. Almost three quarters of a million visitors have already clicked on to the dedicated Web site. Hundreds of custom game applications are offered for bid on e-bay. A college coed from Florida says, "I wake up in the morning and it's the first thing I think about." A housewife in Georgia says, "I have to set my kitchen timer so I know when it's time to quit." And the rock group Weezer has specific instructions on its own Web site on how to download their music into the game.

Nintendo on the future:

Nintendo is in the software business -- to stay. Nintendo is in the handheld business -- to stay. And Nintendo is most certainly in the home console business -- to stay. Work is well underway on the successor technology to both Game Boy Advance and Nintendo GameCube.

The part I most agree with is that of Nintendo's stance on online gaming: It looks good, but unless it guarantees a good profit, we won't buy into it just yet.

Your thoughts?

Roke
Org Profile

Post by Roke » Fri Nov 01, 2002 5:46 pm

Yes, Online Gaming is NOT a life preserver, however, in the PC games market, it sure is.

Now I was suprised at the numbers of sales in Animal Crossing as well, I mean, DAMN, thats alot more.

I like the game, but I haven't played it in a while. SHIT.

I missed Halloween! Oh well...
"Kagome: Im so mad at Inuyasha

Inuyasha: Than leave if you want I dont crae! FEH!"

Return to “General Off Topic”