any tolkien geeks?

This forum is for actual topics of discussion that do not fit the above categories.
Flint the Dwarf
Org Profile

Post by Flint the Dwarf » Mon Dec 01, 2003 8:49 am

Trident wrote:Is your birthday... Jan. 3?
Yep, and that is Tolkien's birthday. I have the same birthday as Tolkien too, so I'm destined to become a good writer. ^_^;
Kusoyaro: We don't need a leader. We need to SHUT UP. Make what you want to make, don't make you what you don't want to make. If neither of those applies to you, then you need to SHUT UP MORE.

Kirbyoto
Org Profile

Post by Kirbyoto » Mon Dec 01, 2003 9:11 am

BUM BUM BUM!

Those were the...chords of SURPRISE!

SCARY!

I like Tolkien!

Etc!
You know what? I don't even care anymore.

xtc_kurama
Org Profile

Post by xtc_kurama » Mon Dec 01, 2003 9:16 am

i was trying to get the point across that the director didnt hand the book to the actors and said "read this, it is your script." There are things in the book that arent in the movie.
http://elazulspad.com/blaxor/
"We're not evil, you can trust us."
- Conditioner Corp. slogan

Vixen Star
Org Profile

Post by Vixen Star » Mon Dec 01, 2003 10:11 am

xtc_kurama wrote:i was trying to get the point across that the director didnt hand the book to the actors and said "read this, it is your script." There are things in the book that arent in the movie.
Yeah what happened to Tom Bombadil (me think that was his name???) from The Fellowship of the Ring!

Three rings for the Elven-Kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne,
In the Land of Mordor where the shadows lie.

One ring to rule them all, One ring to find them,
One ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of mordor where the shadows lie.... :D

nailz
Org Profile

Post by nailz » Mon Dec 01, 2003 12:16 pm

xtc_kurama wrote:i was trying to get the point across that the director didnt hand the book to the actors and said "read this, it is your script." There are things in the book that arent in the movie.
I'd hope not, considering he's dead. Jesus, get it straight.
Ploink! Magic Cupcake! <a href="http://www.elvenking.net">Elvenking</a>. I'm sorry, I can't hear you over how awesome I am.

Trident
Org Profile

Post by Trident » Mon Dec 01, 2003 12:32 pm

Vixen Star wrote:Yeah what happened to Tom Bombadil (me think that was his name???) from The Fellowship of the Ring!
I think the Tom Bombadil cut was one of the better ones they could have made (if they had to make any). I mean, Tom's nice, but didn't add a whole lot to the plot. They bring back the Hobbit-eating willow in the extended version of The Two Towers, though--that amused me.

Cuts don't bother me as much as additions. I mean, there's only so much a movie can hold--it's easier to put down a book and come back to it later. Movies can't be paused quite as easily. But yeah--that whole Aragorn falls over the cliff thing in Two Towers pissed me off to no end. At least the change they made to Faramir gets explained in the extended edition...
"The dice of love are madness and turmoil."--Anakreon

The Hitokiri Battousai
Org Profile

Post by The Hitokiri Battousai » Mon Dec 01, 2003 4:48 pm

they add alot of deph to faramirs character in the extended. Im going to go see ROTK at midnight with a friend

Anyways, people who hate the movie cause i'ts not right on twith the book make me mad. Sure they Jackson didnt put whatever or gave his lines to whom but it's his choice to.

The Old Forest and Tom Bambadil did nothing to further the plot of FOTR so thats why they cut it. It would add a hour to the film which we dont really need. Sure, Id give my right arm to see Bombadil and the Old Forest and the Barrow-Downs and all the other stuff they didnt add but it's not a bigee.

I did get pissed witht he whole aragorn off the cliff too. Just to add Liv Tyler (which isnt a bad thing mind you) to TT.
She Said, "Don't Make Others Suffer For Your Personal Hatred."

Return to “General Off Topic”