Live Action Videos [Hear me out please]

dreamawake
Prodigal Pen-Throttle
Org Profile

Re: Live Action Videos [Hear me out please]

Post by dreamawake » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:38 am

Yes, it is. However, I'm not seeing how it could end badly. I've posted more than enough on my end to justify having the forum, and every time you've posted a possible negative to the idea, I've responded rebuking those bad points [or atleast, I think I have].

Your argument against the idea seems to just be "but wat if people wanna upload, but what if people sneak lamvs in with 1 anime clip", which is just rediculous considering people can do that now already WITHOUT a live action forum.

Ileia
WHAT IS PINK MAY NEVER DIE!
Org Profile

Post by Ileia » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:49 am

Okay, here:

It is possible that having forums for announcing LAMVs will bring in more vidders, yes?
This site has many entries of non-anime music videos, even without the vidding crowd.
Vidding crowd comes to org + free hosting = more uploads of non-AMVs.

See what I'm getting at?

When you want to do something, you should look at the pros and the cons, it's planning. In this case, you are listing pros and I am listing cons. Both should be taken into consideration.

Also, I think the word you were looking for was refute.
:cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake:

dreamawake
Prodigal Pen-Throttle
Org Profile

Post by dreamawake » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:44 am

I see what you mean, but I still don't think it'll be much of an issue, and if so, no more than it already is.

And yes, thanks for the correction. I'm on no sleep and pain meds :(

Ileia
WHAT IS PINK MAY NEVER DIE!
Org Profile

Post by Ileia » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:38 am

Ultimately, though, this is something that only the site administration could implement. If you feel that strongly about it, I would suggest drafting a proposal explaining ways in which you feel we could benefit from the addition (perhaps with possible solutions for any foreseeable problems, since they would be the ones to have to deal with that) and send it to them. If I recall correctly, that's how we got an offtopic section reinstated.
:cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake:

dreamawake
Prodigal Pen-Throttle
Org Profile

Post by dreamawake » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:47 am

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll get on writing that up asap.

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:14 pm

Kitsuner wrote:Quoted Image converted to link:
http://newsrealblog.files.wordpress.com ... cookie.jpg
Couldn't have said it better myself.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:04 am

Sorry to drag this up again, I only just saw the thread.

Over the years there's been plenty of times when people in the AMV scene have made cool shit with things other than anime. Some of it is even on this site, sneakily hiding among the anime stuff. Some of the early music videos on this site have so little anime content that you could argue they weren't amvs (Brad DeMoss, I'm looking at you :P) There used to be a lot of arguments over things like con reports and documentaries and all kinds of stuff, not just other sorts of music videos.

As for the floods of OT material, I just think that's bull. If you made such a subforum, I doubt anyone who isn't in the amv community would use it. Why would they advertise their work to people who wouldn't really care about it? The whole point of communities is to share with like-minded individuals - in this case amv makers. We post stuff on here to show our friends and to show people who would get it and imo only the "other cool shit by amvers" is relevant.

So there's amv makers who make other things. Some of them are live action videos. They want to share those with other like minded amvers.

My vote would be to simply have a Other Cool Video Shit by AMV Folks forum and amv makers can post their other cool shit to their hearts content.

Don't fear the movie and tv studios. They honestly don't give a fuck compared to the music industry who you already have dealings with. I know someone is going to mention moderation, so yes there will need to be ground rules about appropriate content but there's already rules like that on the forum as a whole. Just say on the forum "spam this and it gets removed" and that will be warning enough.

imho ;p

dreamawake
Prodigal Pen-Throttle
Org Profile

Post by dreamawake » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:27 am

AbsoluteDestiny wrote:Sorry to drag this up again, I only just saw the thread.

Over the years there's been plenty of times when people in the AMV scene have made cool shit with things other than anime. Some of it is even on this site, sneakily hiding among the anime stuff. Some of the early music videos on this site have so little anime content that you could argue they weren't amvs (Brad DeMoss, I'm looking at you :P) There used to be a lot of arguments over things like con reports and documentaries and all kinds of stuff, not just other sorts of music videos.

As for the floods of OT material, I just think that's bull. If you made such a subforum, I doubt anyone who isn't in the amv community would use it. Why would they advertise their work to people who wouldn't really care about it? The whole point of communities is to share with like-minded individuals - in this case amv makers. We post stuff on here to show our friends and to show people who would get it and imo only the "other cool shit by amvers" is relevant.

So there's amv makers who make other things. Some of them are live action videos. They want to share those with other like minded amvers.

My vote would be to simply have a Other Cool Video Shit by AMV Folks forum and amv makers can post their other cool shit to their hearts content.

Don't fear the movie and tv studios. They honestly don't give a fuck compared to the music industry who you already have dealings with. I know someone is going to mention moderation, so yes there will need to be ground rules about appropriate content but there's already rules like that on the forum as a whole. Just say on the forum "spam this and it gets removed" and that will be warning enough.

imho ;p
Well said, AD. I would not be against this.

Shui
Shuitcake
Org Profile

Post by Shui » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:56 am

I agree with absolute destiny on this one.

Here's my thoughts:

It should be possible to make it only accessible to people, which have uploaded alteast 2 or 3 amvs to the org.
That could filter some of the flood ( like many think there will be).

Everyone with a regular income that's not really shit could host a forum. I don't think we need to provide a discussion platform for NON-AMVers. But letting people which actually like amvs and edit them or contribute to the community discuss other material than just amvs is a good thing in my eyes.

We can give Arashi the position to allow people to the subforum or not. That way he'll eliminate the flood and make sure that only good boys get into the subforum. (that was kind of a lame joke) In the end it will come down to the problem how much time and work it needs to implement a System, that distinguishes between amvers and non-amvers.

All those things require work form the people running the site. And it's done out of pure goodwill - much respect if you can get it done. No hate if you don't want to.
Spoiler :
fucking stealing other poeples hard work and claiming it as your own, you guys should be ashemed

ppl fukin fuk spent years making those animes, blood sweat and spilt coffe stains drawing all day long just to get a title "animator: this GUY" and then those music ppl spend years learning to produce music, teams of so many hard working ppl just trying to get their stuff out there in the world then WHAT TEH FUK DO U GUYS DO? u fukin take the drawings, u fukin take the music, then u just slap it fukin together like its fukin nothing, then u make banners and og take credit for it fukin all like u fukin made shit goin amv contests actin liek ur teh fukin shit fukin sayin i amde this fukin liek if u fukin did fukin makin fukin the fukin fukin fukin fukin - MiyaDV (2014)

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:23 pm

I'm kinda half and half on this..

While I can see the appeal of such a forum, I'm sort of against it because I don't see it as a necessity.

There are several ways of getting your fanvid out there other than having an entire subforum dedicated to announcements. Signatures, journals, the about me section on your profile, Vidding on livejournal, having your own website (mine is mostly to facilitate my video catalog), youtube (until they mute the audio/take the video offline)...

Also, you can add a live action video in to your amv announcement, so there is already a way to announce a fanvid. There's no laws stating you can only announce one video at a time, and I've seen several times when people have announced multiple videos at a time. A lot of those times I've seen people add fanvids in next to their amvs.

I don't necessarily see hoards of people from Vidding swarming the org due to the fact that they don't allow AMV announcements in their rules. Why would they come over here and break our rules needlessly? Besides we are too picky, and totally not the intended audience. In general they are fans who edit videos for themselves and other fans. I've not seen too many philosophical debates about the "high art" their vids are, or many other meta discussions. (Although I do know meta does exist, they just don't beat the dead horse like we do here.)

Vidding is something of a mess... but it's a place to get your video out there. However, Vidding isn't the only livejournal fanvid community. It's just the biggest one. There are a good 3 or 4 of them that are general vidding, and then the more you dig into sub-genres/video sources there are lots and lots of smaller video communities dedicated to specific video sources. It just takes a bit of searching.

However, all that said I've found that I've been able to get some fairly good feedback from just having a video linked in my signature, and having a place for people to make comments (I use livejournal). So, I guess I've never felt like "I've no place to share my videos".

Return to “Site Help & Feedback”