[Quit deleting my posts]

dreamawake
Prodigal Pen-Throttle
Org Profile

Re: [Quit deleting my posts]

Post by dreamawake » Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:46 pm

downwithpants wrote:
Arashinome wrote:That's the problem with this whole fucking community in general, it's so cliquey that we can't even get new members to feel welcome here because the majority of us are all a bunch of elitest fucks who wouldn't take 2 seconds to help somebody learn.
i'll respond to this seriously because based on your joined date, i see you've only been here a few years. The org has moved leaps and bounds past where it was when we had the original off-topic section (up till 2003). one of the biggest problems with that community was the social exclusivity of the regular crowd. it spurred dick-waving flame wars. it was too difficult for the administration (of which i was not a part at that time) to control.

realize that whenever you have a social grouping of more than two people, you will get cliques. it happens everywhere: forums, school, work, sports. we cannot stop cliques from forming, however we do not want the same problems we had with the original off-topic community. so instead we ask that community members behave politely and encourage helping new forum visitors. when i read newbie posts in general amv and site help, i'm glad to see that our many of our current community members handle these threads much better than what has been the case in the past.
Downwithpants, despite my join date I do have another account with an older join date, which I know is against the rules. Whatever, it's never used anymore and I didn't know at the time. But I've been here long enough to know how shit works, I've been lurking on the forums since 02. It's not so much about the cliques being there, I know that's going to happen regardless, the problem is that it's out-casting new members and people are seeing the org as a community that doesn't give a shit about it's members. How often do you see most of these people actually attempting to help somebody new? Most of the time the regulars just shun them. I'm even somewhat guilty of this myself. Regardless it's sort of a non-issue here because that's not quite what this discussion is about. I just kind of branched off there :P

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:04 pm

I'm pretty much with godix on this for the most part, but I can still see the value in "User Was Banned For This Post" Mostly because i've always felt the ban hammer hasn't been swung hard enough in certain areas - namely those explicitly spelled out in the rules as ban-worthy offenses (like asking for downloads, linking to them, etc.)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

gotenks794
Org Profile

Post by gotenks794 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:37 pm

BasharOfTheAges wrote:i've always felt the ban hammer hasn't been swung hard enough in certain areas - namely those explicitly spelled out in the rules as ban-worthy offenses (like asking for downloads, linking to them, etc.)
I believe, correct me if I'm wrong, that most posts about download related things are usually made by newcomers who haven't read the rules, and therefore don't know its wrong. If they were to be flat out banned for it (the first time, anyway) then our community would be a fair amount smaller I would guess. I think. Theoretically.
MAC is a cosmetics brand. Mac is the superior computing platform. It's not an acronym.

NS
I like pants
Org Profile

Post by NS » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:29 am

Naw, because most of them are just one time people who don't care about the community and just want a couple more views on their hosatchel videos or an easier way to go about the hobby. If they don't read the rules then that is their fault.

Garridy
Org Profile

Post by Garridy » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:42 am

As for marking the mods as mods, that's rather pointless. We don't need to know who the mods are to behave. We just need to know there are mods and what the rules are. Marking mods sends the signal to treat them differently. Don't make drunken russian jokes with otohiko, he's a mod. Don't speak to mirk like a human, he's a mod. Don't dare tell kalium the stick up his ass is starting to rot, he's a mod. Don't ever treat Jasper like just another human being, she's head admin! We have to suck up to power ya know. Bullshit, let them be remain as normal and people can interact with them as normal. When they have to do stuff that is 'offical' mod business I'm sure they can make that clear. I've interacted with a fair number of the mods/admins. I have never once been confused about if Doki, TJ, Jasper, Kalium, Oto, mirk, etc. are speaking to me as part of their org duties or just talking to me as a regular person. I'll also note a large part of the motive to be an invismod is to be treated as a normal instead of a special elite class. Marking mods as special would just prove that mod403 has the right idea...
Much truth.

I don't care what people say I still <3 the mods.
I love to wear absurd and totally impractical garments. What's more, I derive great pleasure from spending time with women for no apparent reason.
I'm just that kind of person. - Sousuke Sagara

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:53 pm

gotenks794 wrote:
BasharOfTheAges wrote:i've always felt the ban hammer hasn't been swung hard enough in certain areas - namely those explicitly spelled out in the rules as ban-worthy offenses (like asking for downloads, linking to them, etc.)
I believe, correct me if I'm wrong, that most posts about download related things are usually made by newcomers who haven't read the rules, and therefore don't know its wrong.
Unless things have changed - part of starting your account is checking that little box that says you have, in fact, read and are willing to abide by the rules. No excuses there.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

Squancho
Org Profile

Post by Squancho » Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:47 am

Not that I care about the specific issue which sparked this debate (saw it, went :roll: , and moved on), but I saw something on my post which confused me.

I went to the SOAD2 thread to see if any progress had been made and I just wasn't receiving update alerts, which happens on occasion. My reply was still the last in the thread, but the following was tacked onto the end:

[Corran: The two posts originally following this one have been split here: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=95829 ]

...and I was whisked away to this thread. Were there two posts after mine which were deleted, moved, misplaced, whatever?..or did I say something in my reply that may have run afoul of the rules somehow (although I'm guessing not seeing that it's still there)? Or has that thread reached a cap of posts / pages? I'm just curious because I'd never seen a message like that and wondered why there was a link leading here... :?
Zenkaikon
AMV Showdown Coordinator
(2013 - 2019)
Asst AMV Showdown Coordinator
(2020 - 2021)

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:49 am

deuceloosely wrote:Not that I care about the specific issue which sparked this debate (saw it, went :roll: , and moved on), but I saw something on my post which confused me.

I went to the SOAD2 thread to see if any progress had been made and I just wasn't receiving update alerts, which happens on occasion. My reply was still the last in the thread, but the following was tacked onto the end:

[Corran: The two posts originally following this one have been split here: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=95829 ]

...and I was whisked away to this thread. Were there two posts after mine which were deleted, moved, misplaced, whatever?..or did I say something in my reply that may have run afoul of the rules somehow (although I'm guessing not seeing that it's still there)? Or has that thread reached a cap of posts / pages? I'm just curious because I'd never seen a message like that and wondered why there was a link leading here... :?
It wasn't you at all (as far as I know), so I wouldn't worry. It was people posting after you with spam - not your fault at all.
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

Return to “Site Help & Feedback”