My Solution to Ermac's guides question

mofisto
Org Profile

My Solution to Ermac's guides question

Post by mofisto » Wed Jul 17, 2002 8:23 am

This is the answer I found that worked perfectly for me. It is in regards to the FAQ question in Ermac's guide about working with DVD. In the FAQ there is a question that says, click this link to read the forum post containing the link. Well the forum has changed and the answer is no longer availible. And it would be my luck that I had the problem. I would post this as a guide, but Ermac covered 95% of what I am about to write so, the last 5% is what I did different

First of all, Rip the DVD, get it on you HDD. I use DVDdecrypter with ForceASPI(wouldn't work without it in my case).

Next after all of the movies are on the HDD, then I use DVD2AVI to create a d2v file.

Now instead of using avisynth, I replaced it with VFAPI. I downloaded VFAPI converter and used it to create an AVI file(about 10-15mb) from the d2v file which actually just makes a frameserver from the vobs on your hard drive.

When I did it this way I didn't have any distortion, and not percievable loss in quality(I have poor eyesight)

Now I have only tried this with 1 dvd so far. Ghost in the Shell and it worked, I will eventually try others as I finish the video I am working on.

Thanks all

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Wed Jul 17, 2002 8:27 am

VFAPI was in ErMaC's old guide but there are a few reasons why using it is a bad idea:

1) It's slower

2) You can only use one vfapi file at once otherwise premiere confuses them and the info for one leaks into another then crashes

As for the solution to the discolouration, I posted the answer to this in your thread (I think it was at least). If you add the line:

Levels 0,1.1,255,0,255

It will ever so slightly increase the gamma but there will be no mad colours.

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Wed Jul 17, 2002 8:29 am

oh, there should be some brackets around that:

Levels(0,1.1,255,0,255)

mofisto
Org Profile

Post by mofisto » Wed Jul 17, 2002 8:37 am

Sorry, I did read your post, but it didn't work. When I added that line to my AVS script, it stopped working. I didn't get an error message, it just changed the clip to a resolution of like 808x50 and made it 10secs long. When I remove that line, it goes back to normal, with the distortion. Thats why I went with vfapi. I made sure I downloaded the latest versions of everything so maybe the problems where fixed I don't know. All I know is that I am working with it, it hasn't crashed, and it works.

I do appreciate the help though.

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Wed Jul 17, 2002 8:38 am

ooooh actually I think this version is the best - it will mainly only change the colours that are effected by the bug:

Levels(0,1,255,6,255)

This will notch the extreme levels which will fix the discoloration thing. It works for me at least.

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Wed Jul 17, 2002 8:41 am

the 808x50 10secs long clip is an error message.

If you open it in media player you will be able to read it.

It sounds to me like you have an old version of avisynth. Get the latest from videotools.net

mofisto
Org Profile

Post by mofisto » Wed Jul 17, 2002 8:52 am

Alrighty then, the brackets do help, but it still doesn't get rid of all of the discoloration. It when from an orange blob to some pixels being orange. Its not in the original either, they play fine in media play as do the vfapi file from the original vobs.

As for the latest version of avisynth I have 1.06

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Wed Jul 17, 2002 8:56 am

OK, well it does seem that some of the discolouration is fixed but there is much more in your source that was in mine.

If you want to use VFAPI for this amv, thats fine but if you want to use more than one source you will have trouble. If you get the problem again use the:

Levels(0,1,255,6,255)

one and increase the number 6 until it works. I think thats how you fix this problem.

Anyway, use any working method you like ^_^

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Wed Jul 17, 2002 8:57 am

and yeah, I know it only happens in premiere - typically ¬.¬

mofisto
Org Profile

Post by mofisto » Wed Jul 17, 2002 8:58 am

Thanks for your help.

Return to “Site Help & Feedback”