Quick coments

Zaphod_Beeblebrox
Org Profile

Post by Zaphod_Beeblebrox » Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:31 pm

whiteash wrote:My videos have been seriously undermined by insults and I have every right to be upset. This does not qualify as bitching as I have explained my anger. If you cannot differentiate, that is your own problem.

Plus, this is a forum topic about Quick Comments. I have every right to talk about QCs here. Thanks. You can go now.
If you are actually upset by what some guy, probably from another country, could only say with complete anonymity, the maybe you should be posting your vids on the internet, some people wont like them, it happens.

And anyway, did i tell you you couldn't talk about QCs here? no, i just said you should stop complaining 'cos you can't take a few random insults, and suggested you look for constructive criticism somewhere you are more likely to get it.

Now you can go.

whiteash
Org Profile

Post by whiteash » Fri Nov 25, 2005 9:03 pm

Zaphod_Beeblebrox wrote:
whiteash wrote:My videos have been seriously undermined by insults and I have every right to be upset. This does not qualify as bitching as I have explained my anger. If you cannot differentiate, that is your own problem.

Plus, this is a forum topic about Quick Comments. I have every right to talk about QCs here. Thanks. You can go now.
If you are actually upset by what some guy, probably from another country, could only say with complete anonymity, the maybe you should be posting your vids on the internet, some people wont like them, it happens.

And anyway, did i tell you you couldn't talk about QCs here? no, i just said you should stop complaining 'cos you can't take a few random insults, and suggested you look for constructive criticism somewhere you are more likely to get it.

Now you can go.
Your ability to miss the point astounds me... and you even used my catch phrase because of your inability to think of smething wittier. My point remains: These were not Random Insults. They were deliberate attacks. I do not see how this is so hard for you to understand. This place is for AMVs and I have put up AMVs. Wether or not people hate them, I coudl care less... what I DO care about is the well being of the creators. We shouldn't have to put up with insults.

If you were insulted regularily by the same person, although annonymous, you would be more than a little irked as well.

Thank you, that is all.

Zaphod_Beeblebrox
Org Profile

Post by Zaphod_Beeblebrox » Fri Nov 25, 2005 9:28 pm

whiteash wrote:If you were insulted regularily by the same person, although annonymous, you would be more than a little irked as well.
Well, firstly, seeing as how it's anonymous, how do you know it's the same person and not just a collective of assholes powered by coincidence and chance?

and secondly, no, i wouldn't, y'know why? because it's just the internet, hell I've been accused of being not real, a woman, several different kinds of animal and a 60 year old pervert, but i take no heed because I'm well aware, that these people would probably never say this to me in real life, mainly because i'm blatantly not a woman or an animal or 60.

Quite a few people have said that the only thing that hurts us is the truth anyway.

and no, i couldn't come up with "smething" better, but i don't care :roll:

whiteash
Org Profile

Post by whiteash » Fri Nov 25, 2005 9:58 pm

Zaphod_Beeblebrox wrote: and no, i couldn't come up with "smething" better, but i don't care :roll:
Would you like me to quote all of your typos and bad spelling as well? I 'no' that would bother you too.

Frankly, not all of us enjoy insults... but if you'd like insults then by all means, continue to hurt my feelings by stating that what I'm trying to get across is meaningless.

Zaphod_Beeblebrox
Org Profile

Post by Zaphod_Beeblebrox » Fri Nov 25, 2005 10:15 pm

whiteash wrote:I 'no' that would bother you too.
Uhh...am I the only one who doesn't see how that was a typo on my part?

And anyway, I'm not trying to imply that what you are fighting against is meaningless, and I never tried to imply that either, furthermore, I never said that I enjoy insults (I enjoy arguing, tearing other people's arguments apart is fun :roll:). The only real thing that i tried to say is that quick comments aren't meant to help people, they are meant for people to give their thoughts on an AMV in a quick, painless way, without having to PM/email the creator, or go through the arduous opinion process, the way i see it, opinions are meant for long-winded critiques of your work, QCs are meant for quick thoughts, such as, "I liked it" or "That was crap", the fact that you get any at all at least means that people care enough to say something.

Now, your main problem, aside from the insults, which you should be able to get over, seems to be that people don't like your AMVs (you have said it, don't make me drag out the quote), if you can't deal with that, then you shouldn't be posting them at all.

And about you having said something abomut the wellbeing of creators: if a creator feels the need to have their life validated by some kid at the other end of a cable then i think that they probably have some self-confidence issues and should get those sorted before posting anything online where people can and will say anything under the sun, just to get a reaction.

whiteash
Org Profile

Post by whiteash » Fri Nov 25, 2005 10:18 pm

You aren't getting me, once again!

I said: I do not mind the fact that people don't like my AMVs!

What I DO mind is the fact they INSULT THEM.

Insults are pointless as they:

A.) Do not help towards improving the creator's abilities by offering suggestions.

B.) Lower self-esteem and subsequent want to create.

and

C.) Cause arguments.

Finally, I want to tell you to stop arguing this with me, as I am firm in my belief that insulting a vid is pointless. If you're going to say: That was crap. Then don't and save your point. Do something constructive instead.

Zaphod_Beeblebrox
Org Profile

Re: Alright.

Post by Zaphod_Beeblebrox » Fri Nov 25, 2005 10:31 pm

whiteash wrote:My recent videos have come under unfriendly fire without decent explanation. I find my videos to be decent, perhaps the earlier ones not so much... but as of late, my better videos have been receiving hurtful QC which I have no means of tracking.
If that isn't code for "I don't like people not liking my AMVs" then i don't know what is, and you just said it again:
whiteash wrote:What I DO mind is the fact they INSULT THEM
Now, it seems to me that you just can't deal with people expressing that they don't like your AMVs, the way they choose to express themselves is their right and you have no place trying to stop them, if you take one comment (the one trick pony one, for instance), it could be construed as constructive criticism, just badly phrased, it could be saying "you're not all that good at what's in this AMV, try doing a different one", but no, you have to take it personally and try to get the whole system removed from the site.

As for your point B, i find that most people when the get negative criticism try to do better, and strive to create something that people want to watch, if you're thinking about quitting just because a few people didn't like your video, then fine, whatever, i'm not sure you had the dedication to do something great anyway.

Finally: telling someone to keep their mouth shut just because you don't like what they're saying (that is what you're doing) is trying to stop someone from expressing themselves, and i know that freedom is one thing that Americans tend to pride themselves on more than anything else (America = "Land of Opportunity", "Land of the Free" etc...), telling someone to be quiet just because they have nothing nice to say is basically taking away their right to free speech and freedom of expression.

Ileia
WHAT IS PINK MAY NEVER DIE!
Org Profile

Re: Alright.

Post by Ileia » Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:42 pm

Many of these are not that bad. You can at least pick out that the person didn't like the video. That may not be blatantly constructive, but not everyone can pick out what they didn't like, and not everyone is a good enough editor to know how to fix what they didn't like. (Not all members are editors, and all some can offer is like or dislike.). I would rather someone expressed their dislike, than nothing at all. If I get no 'bad' comments, and only good comments, how the hell will I know that I need to improve? It would be very easy to get stuck making the same sort of videos over and over again, because I think that everyone likes them.
In some, but not all, there are things that can be used constructively. (Which, I think, would be a better use of your time, rather than worrying about what someone you don't even know has said about your videos.)
""one-trick pony. noun: any person or group with only one discernable trait, talent, or area of expertise. Example: Whiteash is a one-trick pony video editor. And it's a very bad one trick pony.""
"Something about your videos is remaining constant through-out."
""They were not given power to kill them, but only to torture them for five months. And the agony they suffered was like that of the sting of a scorpion when it strikes a man. [Revelations 9:5]""
"I didn't like this video and wanted to leave an original QC, or maybe I'm just using the QC system to spread the Good Word."
""oh god it was horrible""
"I didn't like this video."
""hate it""
""I found this video to be like having sex with a 90 year old great grandma. Some might find it fun but I found it rather distrubing, sick, and one of the ugliest things I've ever seen.""
"I didn't like this video. And I had to find a creative way to express that."
""I've taken shits that were more entertaining.""
"This video is boring."
""This video is like my last acid trip. No matter where I turn I see horrible images drug from the bowels of hell and hear sounds that make fingernails on a chalkboard sound like Mozart in comparison. After just a few minutes of it I end up wrapped around the toilet covered in my own puke screaming 'oh dear god, just let me die please'.""
"I didn't even watch this video."
""uhmm... eh i dont know""
'I really don't have strong feelings one way or the other. But I felt compelled to let you know this, rather than leaving the QC blank, leaving you to guess."
""sucked""
""crap""
""You know the saying that if you let 1000 monkeys bang on 1000 keyboards for 1000 years that they'll produce the entire works of shakespeare? This video would take 10 monkeys fling shit at a monitor for about 5 minutes to reproduce.""
"This video didn't seem to have much effort put into it."

From most of them, all of what you can decypher is that the person didn't like the video. Like I said, I'd prefer that to obliviously believing that everyone loved my videos.

Question: How many good/constructive QCs have you received? More than bad/flaming ones?
:cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake:

whiteash
Org Profile

Post by whiteash » Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:45 pm

Zaphod_Beeblebrox: Don't use bold text to try to prove a point. It does nothing for you.

aielI_Ileia: ...thanks so much... You're a life saver. I feel a lot better now. ^^

Dreizehn†
Org Profile

Post by Dreizehn† » Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:32 pm

It's annoying I can't respond to quick comments... today someone left the opinion "didn't work" ...and I can't even ask about his/her codec etc.

Return to “Site Help & Feedback”