Music Genre Search

rubyeye
Org Profile

Music Genre Search

Post by rubyeye » Tue Jul 09, 2002 8:35 am

Do you think it would help to organize the music search by genres such as METAL / ROCK / ELECTRONICA / SOUNDTRACK / POP / RAP / COUNTRY / etc.?

It would help in streamlining the search for AMVs when looking for a particular 'style' instead of going through the entire list only looking for names you recognize. Maybe the same could be done for anime (TV / OVA / MOVIE), although I think most of us are pretty familiar with titles and/or really don't care.

However the music think might be a viable suggestion. I'm sure there are lots of artists in a particular field I would be interested in hearing but I don't recognize their name.

Phade
Site Admin
Org Profile

Post by Phade » Tue Jul 09, 2002 9:36 am

Hey,

The problem with that is creating the categories and then categorizing the music. There are many wide opinions on what is what.

Phade.

Flint the Dwarf
Org Profile

Post by Flint the Dwarf » Tue Jul 09, 2002 12:57 pm

Hmm... well then couldn't you just make the genre categorization really generalized? The search would be less specific to what you're looking for but all-in-all it might work. I definately still see problems with it according to what people think is what type of music. But I don't think it's too bad of an idea aside from the fact that some music just cannot fit in generalized genres.
Kusoyaro: We don't need a leader. We need to SHUT UP. Make what you want to make, don't make you what you don't want to make. If neither of those applies to you, then you need to SHUT UP MORE.

FirestormXIII
Org Profile

Post by FirestormXIII » Tue Jul 09, 2002 5:36 pm

I kind of like not having a music genre search. Sure it might help if you're feeling in the mood for a certain style of music, but I think it's better not to have that option. Imagine the number of newbies that would come to the site, and use the music genre search to find all AMVs in a single type of music. It's kind of limiting, and not really fair to them to let them stick to a single type [of music].
To me AMVs are about variety; how many of us have downloaded an AMV by a band we didn't know, to a style and song we didn't know, only to end up loving a new type of music because of it? I'm sure there's more than a few people that have.
I think it's important that we be open-minded and broaden our horizons, and that we do the same for others. Could you imagine perpetuating the LP/DBZ phenom by giving people who've only seen those kind of videos more of the same? I know I'm pulling a 'big consequence-small action' thing, but just think about it...
Everyone is not the same as you.
Get over it.
And lighten up.

kthulhu
Org Profile

Post by kthulhu » Wed Jul 10, 2002 10:12 pm

Phade's right about defining music genres.Take,say,Rammstein for instance.Is Rammstein:

1.Industrial?
2.Gothic?
3.Symphonic Rock?
4.Strict German Music?
5.Speed Metal?

Can't entirely pigeonhole them,or many bands,into one specific genre,or even a broad genre.
I'm out...

ZeWrestler
The Big Ragu
Org Profile

Post by ZeWrestler » Thu Jul 11, 2002 5:50 am

number 5 seems like the better choice.
Computer games don't affect kids. I mean, if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all run around in a darkened room, munching pills, and listening to repetitive music~Kristian Wilson, CEO, Nintendo Gaming Corporation

derobert
Phantom of the .Org
Org Profile

Post by derobert » Fri Jul 12, 2002 1:56 am

kthulhu wrote:Can't entirely pigeonhole them,or many bands,into one specific genre,or even a broad genre.
That's not a real obstacle --- let genres be fuzzy. Let people check off which genres they think a band is in, then average that all together to create a picture of the group/artist. A group can be 10% in A, 50% in B, 30% in C, 80% in D, etc.

I don't see any reason why a group can be but one and only one genre --- same thing with a song, btw. Actually, this might be even better when done on a song-by-song basis: Let people classify the songs, form the pictures of the songs, and from their induct onto the groups.
Key 55EA59FE; fingerprint = E501 CEE3 E030 2D48 D449 274C FB3F 88C2 55EA 59FE
A mighty order of ages is born anew.              http://twitter.com/derobert

jbone
Org Profile

Post by jbone » Fri Jul 12, 2002 9:51 am

derobert wrote:
kthulhu wrote:Can't entirely pigeonhole them,or many bands,into one specific genre,or even a broad genre.
That's not a real obstacle --- let genres be fuzzy. Let people check off which genres they think a band is in, then average that all together to create a picture of the group/artist. A group can be 10% in A, 50% in B, 30% in C, 80% in D, etc.

I don't see any reason why a group can be but one and only one genre --- same thing with a song, btw. Actually, this might be even better when done on a song-by-song basis: Let people classify the songs, form the pictures of the songs, and from their induct onto the groups.
HELO IM MR NOOBI I GUNNA CLICK EVREE JONRA CUZ THANMOR PEEPZ WILL SEE MY VDO YA THAT A GUD IDEA RITE?!?!?!?!?!?!/1/1/1/1/1

rubyeye
Org Profile

Post by rubyeye » Fri Jul 12, 2002 11:38 am

Well, if music is so broad, why do we categorize videos? You are classifying something that's created with something that's somewhat difficult to categorize?

I know it really breaks down to individual songs and stuff, but since I brought this up, I'm beginning to think that some of the problems people are expression about AMVs may partly be by fault of this grouping convention.

I wasn't there but AnimeEXPO is prime example. You know . . . that 'Fun' Category. WOW! What a backlash!

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Fri Jul 12, 2002 11:45 am

Well, creators tend to know what category their own amv fits into.

However, there's lots of amv creators who haven't got the foggiest idea about genres of music. You want proof, go to the amv chat room late at night :P :P

Return to “Site Help & Feedback”