Linux AMV Guide submitted. No response!

Dugan
Org Profile

Linux AMV Guide submitted. No response!

Post by Dugan » Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:40 pm

On August 26th, I sent in a guide to making AMVs in Linux. I had spent an immense amount of time researching and writing it, with the intention that it would take the reader from a ripping collection of CD's and DVD's, all the way to encoding and uploading a completed AMV. Linux often offers more than one way to do things, so whenever possible I recommended the simplest or most well-supported method. It even included a Cinelerra tutorial written entirely in my own words, not to mention the simplest way of doing a divx5-compliant Xvid encode, and even information on muxing anamorphic footage to a widescreen mkv container, and a single command-line to rip a DVD and strip the audio from it at the same time.

The address that I sent it to was admin@animemusicvideos.org.

I never received a response. I waited a few days and sent a follow-up email to the same address. Again, no response. A few days after that, knowing that Ian Roberts was responsible to reading the admin@animemusicvideos.org email account, I emailed him directly and never heard back from him.

I was not told that my guide was being rejected. I was not told that someone would get back to me when the time was right. I was not told that the guide never arrived or that it was stuck in some inaccessible part of Nago. Rather, I was not told anything at all. The only thing I'm assuming, therefore, is that Ian Roberts received either the guide or at least one of my follow-up emails, because he has signed onto and off AIM and updated his livejournal in that time.

What, may I ask, is going on? What is happening with my guide, and why was I not contacted?

paizuri
Org Profile

Post by paizuri » Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:42 pm

Quite possibly he has been busy. I know I am busy. While it would be nice to pretend that the administration here has enough time to devote themselves fully to this site, this is unfortunately not the case. Most of us have jobs, school and other things which oftentimes get in the way.

If you sent your guide on JULY 26, then it has been 9 days. We get a lot of e-mail to admin@animemusicvideos.org. In fact, we have a large backlog of over 600+ e-mails spanning back to May right now. Some of these e-mails are spam, others are simple requests to reactivate user accounts or other such minutia. Yet others are for issues that take quite a bit more time to resolve. It takes time to simply read all of these e-mails, much less respond to the ones that warrant responding to. There is a priority to the order in which we respond to e-mails, but it generally goes by when we received them.

So I have checked the e-mail account. Yes, we have received your guide. No, no one has looked at it. We appreciate that you spent the time and effort creating it and sending it to us, but we will get to it when we get to it. Feel free to post it on the forum if you are anxious for feedback.

derobert
Phantom of the .Org
Org Profile

Post by derobert » Sun Aug 07, 2005 1:06 am

send it to <a href="mailto:amv@derobert.net">amv@derobert.net</a>, I may get a chance to look at it... Also, do you know how to use svn?
Key 55EA59FE; fingerprint = E501 CEE3 E030 2D48 D449 274C FB3F 88C2 55EA 59FE
A mighty order of ages is born anew.              http://twitter.com/derobert

Dugan
Org Profile

Post by Dugan » Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:44 pm

Thank you, derobert. I used this as an opportunity to revise the guide. I've sent one copy of the revised version to you and another to admin@animemusicvideos.org. Hope you like it.

I've never used svn, but I'ved used cvs and I imagine svn to be similar. Why do you ask?

derobert
Phantom of the .Org
Org Profile

Post by derobert » Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:15 am

I'll take a look at it ASAP.
Key 55EA59FE; fingerprint = E501 CEE3 E030 2D48 D449 274C FB3F 88C2 55EA 59FE
A mighty order of ages is born anew.              http://twitter.com/derobert

trythil
is
Org Profile

Re: Linux AMV Guide submitted. No response!

Post by trythil » Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:15 pm

Dugan wrote:On August 26th, I sent in a guide to making AMVs in Linux. I had spent an immense amount of time researching and writing it, with the intention that it would take the reader from a ripping collection of CD's and DVD's, all the way to encoding and uploading a completed AMV. Linux often offers more than one way to do things, so whenever possible I recommended the simplest or most well-supported method. It even included a Cinelerra tutorial written entirely in my own words, not to mention the simplest way of doing a divx5-compliant Xvid encode, and even information on muxing anamorphic footage to a widescreen mkv container, and a single command-line to rip a DVD and strip the audio from it at the same time.

The address that I sent it to was admin@animemusicvideos.org.

I never received a response. I waited a few days and sent a follow-up email to the same address. Again, no response. A few days after that, knowing that Ian Roberts was responsible to reading the admin@animemusicvideos.org email account, I emailed him directly and never heard back from him.

I was not told that my guide was being rejected. I was not told that someone would get back to me when the time was right. I was not told that the guide never arrived or that it was stuck in some inaccessible part of Nago. Rather, I was not told anything at all. The only thing I'm assuming, therefore, is that Ian Roberts received either the guide or at least one of my follow-up emails, because he has signed onto and off AIM and updated his livejournal in that time.

What, may I ask, is going on? What is happening with my guide, and why was I not contacted?
Curious, can I get a copy?

I've been working on a similar guide at http://www.amvwiki.org/index.php/Creati ... _GNU/Linux , and I'd love to work with you if you're interested.

Dugan
Org Profile

Post by Dugan » Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:33 pm

Of course I'll give you a copy, Trythil. Please PM me with an email address that I can send it to.

Dugan
Org Profile

Post by Dugan » Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:46 am

This is Dugan again.

Yes, Trythil and I are currently talking about doing another revision.

But I also hope that you'll find the current version to be already good enough to put in the Guides section.

Return to “Site Help & Feedback”