Why the no-editing/deleting restrictions???

Bushido Philosopher
Org Profile

Why the no-editing/deleting restrictions???

Post by Bushido Philosopher » Mon Sep 02, 2002 6:42 pm

Thinking about it I realized that you can't really change or delete much that you yourself created.

You can't delete your own videos from the database, you can't delete a username, you can't edit a post that you made a mistake on (jbone can attest to that).

Everyone wants this stuff yet its not done. I mean it has to be all right if the person who created it wants it off.

And also taking away all of that "junk" data will save some server space for people who actually do stuff and update their profiles and videos.
"Many people want to change the world, but very few even consider changing themselves."
<<A>My Member Profile</a>> <<A>Read my Xanga</a>>

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Mon Sep 02, 2002 7:08 pm

If Steven Speilberg decided tomorrow that he didn't actually like ET afterall and decided it was an embarrasment - he couldn't just delete it. People have seen it, people have copies of it - if it's Premiered (which is one of the limitations on the org) then it EXISTS.

This is supposed a database of all the videos that have existed. You can get rid of stuff that hasn't premiered but once something has it's fixed. Just like titles and content, they cant change after it's premiered. You can't suddenly decided that ET is a crap name and call it WrinkleDummy after the movie is out.

But of course, you CAN actually do all these things on the org - you just dont have the power to do them yourself. You have to ask Phade. Simple as.

As for editng posts - who gives a crap?

FirestormXIII
Org Profile

Post by FirestormXIII » Mon Sep 02, 2002 10:45 pm

That's right, editing posts is sptudi. :wink:

vincentpricemil
Org Profile

Post by vincentpricemil » Tue Sep 03, 2002 10:37 am

There's also the fact that giving the right to edit/delete items off of a-m-v.org is very, very dangerous! It wouldn't take long for some haxor to come along and abuse this feature.
Dr Phibes: "Nine killed you, nine shall die! Nine eternities in doom!"

Lyrs
Org Profile

Post by Lyrs » Tue Sep 03, 2002 11:36 am

Like it's been said before, no-editing helps to teach responsibility. You have to be resposible for what you put out to the general audience. Also, having to make another post to amend any mistakes you may have made makes for good developement in communication skills.

Of course many of us would so love to delete terribly useless posts (Spam) from our past.

Also it's interesting to see how much people change over time through their post. Seeing what their newbie days were like and what they said and then later on seeing how they changed and what their positions are now or how they act. (Less spam with age or never changing) It's a profile in the making and a way to see how far a person has come since the their first post. Not that many of us want to be studied that way.
GeneshaSeal - Dead Seals for Free
Orgasm - It's a Science

The Wired Knight
Org Profile

Post by The Wired Knight » Thu Sep 05, 2002 2:48 pm

You know I honestly agree when it comes to editing posts. I'm a member of two other boards that both allow it and its very handy. IF you offend somebody or have a factual error you can go bck in and fix it, or if even the grammer or typos make the thread illegible you can fix that as well. Here our only option is to spam and make a correction post.
BANG

Intellectual Property, Real Estate & Probate Attorney.

Bushido Philosopher
Org Profile

Post by Bushido Philosopher » Tue Sep 10, 2002 10:42 pm

Lyrs wrote:Like it's been said before, no-editing helps to teach responsibility. You have to be resposible for what you put out to the general audience. Also, having to make another post to amend any mistakes you may have made makes for good developement in communication skills.
Responsibility...? Ha!!!

Thanks to those "unresponsible people" we have things like dumbass spelling errors and a million DBZ aliases. Speaking of which, why not put a search aliases or something in the search options so i dont have to search for 15 million freaking things.
"Many people want to change the world, but very few even consider changing themselves."
<<A>My Member Profile</a>> <<A>Read my Xanga</a>>

Return to “Site Help & Feedback”