This guide (or AMV)has to be made for the good of the site!!

The Non-Professional
Org Profile

This guide (or AMV)has to be made for the good of the site!!

Post by The Non-Professional » Sun Sep 01, 2002 3:46 pm

someone should make a guide or possibly an AMV that is must watch or read you you first sign up as a member. The guide should be the first thing you see when you register. It should explain about the forums, posting, AMV making, (and i mean a very basic guide for new members to understand, just explaining downloaded footage and beginers editing programs) and with basic termanology that they should know that way that dont ask things that people will flame them for. or someone could not so much make an AMV but just a video on being a new member it doesnt actually have to have people in it it can be like EK's Failed Experiments in Video Editing. just have pictures with what a new member can do. this way new members just wont sign up post and them never come back here again or just sign up for no reason and never come back here again. this way the site wouldnt have so many non-active members filling up the database. now i dont know if an actual guide like this exsists or not so dont flam me if it does but this guide would really improve the site, now i know phade is on his honeymoon but hopefully this thread will be alive long enough for him to read and think about it.

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Sun Sep 01, 2002 4:03 pm

These guides have already been made.

We have the unofficial FAQ and there is a guide on how to be a good member. Phade hasn't hosted them yet but you can get to the unofficial faq via the link in my sig.

mofisto
Org Profile

Post by mofisto » Mon Sep 02, 2002 12:48 pm

Well I believe this has been posted about 8000 times now. Everyone is getting fed up wtih newbies asking retarded questions. While I understand that everyone's level of technical and softwarelogical(if thats a word) is different, I agree this is becoming an epidemic. Though I haven't really heard of any good ideas that are not demeaning towards new members or out right discriminatory. I have heard everything from while signing up, members have to take a quiz to gauge their level of expertise, or mandating quizes to enter the forum. I have heard making the guides part of the required reading to sign up. I have also many times said that the guide links on new member pages should be hideously oversized so as to mess of new members login page so they have no choice but to read the guides. Or even locking access to the forums until they have read the guides. I am in favor of all of these. But even if all of these measure are implimented it won't stop people. Just means these newbies have to click a few more times to bother us. My favorite of course would be to create a group of more elite members and create a forum for them so that they can discuss their problems, ideas, and whatnot in peace without having to endure the babble that spills forth from my keyboard and like 20000 other members.
- "People disappear all the time. Why don't they reappear? FEAR"

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Mon Sep 02, 2002 1:09 pm

I do not agree with those measures.

Not everyone who signs up is an amv maker, some people just want to leave reviews. I think it's stupid asking people who only want to leave a review to have to read ErMaC's guide or do a test.

Also, I've said it before, non-active members do not fill up the database. This post alone takes up the same space as 5 non-active members. There's no point except to free up some login names.

Return to “Site Help & Feedback”